some help guys chosing my puppy..

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jaikat

some help guys chosing my puppy..

#1 Post by jaikat »

hi guys this is my first post here..
i've been browsing the derivatives thread trying to pick my self a puppy that serves my needs, but its always either too fat or too thin. so i thought maybe if i tell you what i want you could help me pick one..

features i'm looking for in a pup:

- jwm as window manager.
- firefox
- flash
- java
- a good media player (i'd like to stay away from gxine-bad experience)
- codecs for mp3, wma, wmv, divx, xvid, ac3, flv (you know the big names, but there's no need for dvd related stuff cause the machine don't have one.)

machine specs:

- p3 celeron 600 or 650 mghtrz
- 192 mb ram
- voodoo banchee video card
- 10 gb hd

i guess thats it. appreciate any help and thanks in advance.

MJ

Jim1911

#2 Post by Jim1911 »

There are a number of the larger derivatives that should run on your hardware that meet all of your requirements, however, since you are concerned about size, consider going with the latest Pup 4.2.1 and add the features you want to it. There are many .pets available that will enhance it to meet your requirements very easily, for example:

ttuuxxx. VLC media player http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 1160634268
Wolfpup's Firefox http://puppylinux.asia/tpp/bugs/firefox-3.0.10.pet
java http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... =824613821

If these don't meet your requirement use the Puppy search function on the forum or http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html to find what you like.

Welcome to Puppy which you will find is easily customized to fit your needs.

01micko

#3 Post by 01micko »

Hi there,

Stick with 4.21. It's solid, firefox can be easily added, there are various .pets around, for audio, our home grown Pmusic 0.7.0 (latest version) is starting to rival winamp IMHO. (Hope your hat still fits ziggy :wink: ) Mplayer comes with most of those codecs built in, you can get it through Petget, and there is an option there to add more codecs and fonts.

Go for 4.21 retro 8) and perhaps do a full install, but it will run quite well with your ram resources as frugal or live if you have a swap of about 400meg. You need swap for a full install anyway. Choice is yours.

Hope this helps.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

tempestuous

#4 Post by tempestuous »

01micko wrote:Go for 4.21 retro
Why? There seems to be a vague perception on this forum that the retro versions are somehow "better/faster" on older hardware. This is a false perception.
I as I just said in another post, the difference between being able to use a standard Puppy version versus the retro version is simply compatibility, ie. whether the computer will boot or not.
Otherwise, the retro versions will not run ANY BETTER/FASTER than the normal versions, nor will they use any less system resources.

You should always try the normal release version first. This will ensure you get the best hardware support from the newer kernel.

01micko

#5 Post by 01micko »

Ok then, scratch my advice. Go for the latest version of stable Puppy which is 4.21.

I was just going with the consensus of opinion.

As a matter of fact I just booted up an old pIII 600/128M ram with big_bass "Slaxer_Pup" which has 2.6.27.7 Slackware 12.2 "huge.smp" kernel.... which is not really designed for a coppermine pIII like mine, but it boots. Only problem I'm having is saving to a usb drive (but it is an old drive too).

So, try the standard kernel first, then, if it wont boot, try the retro.

Thanks tempestuous for pointing that out.

Cheers.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#6 Post by Lobster »

Good advice from Jim1911 and everyone.

I am using 4.2.1 now. Stable. Good looking. Standard.. Tested
and tweaked.

I have added Java (just temp - do not use it much)
and Firefox too would be easy :)

Whatever you decide let us know how you get on :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

01micko

#7 Post by 01micko »

Just to confirm..

I am posting from puppy 4.21 (Kernel 2.6.25.16.. which is the standard version) now on the aforementioned pIII and all is well., even save back to usb pen drive, I have no hard drive.

So jaikat, Puppy 4.21 would be the go in my opinion.

Cheers

jaikat

#8 Post by jaikat »

thanks guys for all the advice. the idea of installing puppy(original) then adding the pets was floating in my head, but i guess i was just too lazy, i wanted to find a pup that had everything i needed, and ended up wasting a week on my search only to go back to the father pup.

well, i'll let you know once i'm finished, soon hopefully.

thanks again.

MJ

ttuuxxx

Re: some help guys chosing my puppy..

#9 Post by ttuuxxx »

jaikat wrote:hi guys this is my first post here..

MJ
I would stay away from series 4 if you want FF3 to work properly, you could use FirePup on series4 but not really FF3, I've compiled it numerous of times on series 4 and well its not made for series older backend.

Really The best thing for you would be a cutdown version on Upup, or Dpup, Or maybe Bigbass's Slackware version of series 4, I haven't tried it,but I've read a lot of good things about it.
If I wasn't stuck in the 2.14 series timewarp I would restart Dpup, thats my choice puppy.
I'm tempted to put 2.14.1 on hold, hmmm
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Sylvander

#10 Post by Sylvander »

1. "the idea of installing puppy(original) then adding the pets was floating in my head"
Begin at the end of my thread on Puppy Linux at the PC-Guide forums, and work back toward the beginning.
Lots of links to Puppy Linux goodies.

jaikat

#11 Post by jaikat »

well, the mission is over, it has been for a week maybe but i almost forgot to report back here.

anyway, i installed 4.2.1 retro(the pc is a really old piece of crap) and installed what i needed, all went well except for the freekin' voodoo3 card, i couldn't get direct rendering on that thing. i searched the the puppy forum and others but it was just no use.

the important thing is that the machine is working on xorg now with software rendering through "mesa". and since there's not going to be heavy gameplay on it i figured i'll pass the direct rendering issue.

thanks for the advice guys, and keep it up.

LONG LIVE PUPPY :)

MJ

01micko

#12 Post by 01micko »

hello jaikat

Did you get firefox? The server jim1911 linked to is down for the moment. You can get it here

It is the same package, I have it running nicely in 4.21. If it doesn't work search for "firepup", it works well.

Cheers

tnewman72

Re: some help guys chosing my puppy..

#13 Post by tnewman72 »

jaikat wrote:hi guys this is my first post here..
i've been browsing the derivatives thread trying to pick my self a puppy that serves my needs, but its always either too fat or too thin. so i thought maybe if i tell you what i want you could help me pick one..

features i'm looking for in a pup:

- jwm as window manager.
- firefox
- flash
- java
- a good media player (i'd like to stay away from gxine-bad experience)
- codecs for mp3, wma, wmv, divx, xvid, ac3, flv (you know the big names, but there's no need for dvd related stuff cause the machine don't have one.)

machine specs:

- p3 celeron 600 or 650 mghtrz
- 192 mb ram
- voodoo banchee video card
- 10 gb hd

i guess thats it. appreciate any help and thanks in advance.

MJ
hey man, i dont mean to be offensive or anything, but seeing your system specs has freaked me out!...i didnt think PC's that old would still be actually working.

it takes me back to the late 1990a/early 2000s.

its amazing to think that i recall circa 2000 when i had what was considered a high end PC that had a 900mhz pc, a 32mb geforce 2, and a 20gb hdd- or was it a 40gb drive?...

and just a couple of years earlier i had a 16mb voodoo card, a 233mhz cpu and a 12 gb hdd.

and now we have quad core 3.8ghz cpus, 2tb hdd and 2gb+ video cars with 6gb+ 1000mhz+ RAM.

puppyluvr

#14 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
I do a lot of Puppy stuff on my old P3 600, "Coppermine"...I love that old beast..It will run every Puppy Ive tried on it, except compiz, (cause it has i810 video), and until recently it had 192 mb ram..(now up to 384... :) )
Puppy runs very well on it, and I`ve even compiled a few programs on it...
Mine was made April of 2000, had `98se OEM, and had a whopping 96mb ram!!! Ive had it since `02..
Puppy is ideal for these machines, with just a little ram...I ran 215ce on the original 96mb for a long time..
And Ttuuxxx`s revamped 2 series looks really promising for older hardware as well....

Good Puppy...(Pats him on the head...)
:D

CRF

#15 Post by CRF »

I could use some advice!

I've tried several puppy's and so far I've liked NOP4.13r1. However, I am searching for a puppy with

an SMP enabled kernel
XFCE Window manager
Broadcom wireless support for WL module
ATI video drivers

All the applications and software that I want, I can find and install on my own.

Any ideas? Is there a puppy out there with those minimum requirements that I am looking for?

Thanks!

Ray MK

#16 Post by Ray MK »

Hi

Try Wow's Pup - it is truly fantastic - and does pretty much
all that you ask.

There is also another derivative of Wow's Pup called
Delta that you might like.

To confirm multi-core SMP - just load Htop.

Hope that helps - regards - Ray

CRF

#17 Post by CRF »

Thanks for the reply!

I've tried Delta and had issues with it. I do full hard drive installs and delta doesn't seem to work properly.

I'll take a look at Wow's other puppy.

I downloaded and tried Fatdog 112. It has support for SMP and my wireless works without a hitch! I downloaded XFCE and installed it. Everything seemed to work fine, except the panel from the other window manager keeps popping up and I don't know how to disable it. Also, the function of checking dependecies is not there, which I need. I like Thunar as opposed to any other file manager. I'd like to know how to change the default from Rox to Thunar. Does anyone know how to do this? Can I download the dependency checker application from somewhere?

CRF

#18 Post by CRF »

Thanks for the reply!

I've tried Delta and had issues with it. I do full hard drive installs and delta doesn't seem to work properly.

I'll take a look at Wow's other puppy.

I downloaded and tried Fatdog 112. It has support for SMP and my wireless works without a hitch! I downloaded XFCE and installed it. Everything seemed to work fine, except the panel from the other window manager keeps popping up and I don't know how to disable it. Also, the function of checking dependecies is not there, which I need. I like Thunar as opposed to any other file manager. I'd like to know how to change the default from Rox to Thunar. Does anyone know how to do this? Can I download the dependency checker application from somewhere?