Can a poor man's install use a partition instead of pup001?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Mr Doolie

Can a poor man's install use a partition instead of pup001?

#1 Post by Mr Doolie »

I'm using a Poor Man's install now. Is it possible to have Pup use a partition for the data instead of the pup001 file?

Would I change the pup001blahblahblah line in my wingrub settings to something else maybe? What? How?

The reason is I found a patch for Winblows that let it read/write to a ext2/3 partiton as if it were a native Win format. Nice for cross-compatabilty, no?

Yes, I could use (and have been using) that Explore-ex2 utility on my pup file but that thing is Linux-to-Win only and a pain to use. I'd rather just use the above procedure.

saintlangton

#2 Post by saintlangton »

A option two install will do this for you. (enable puppy to use the partition for data)

Getting your existing 'poor mans' install to use the partition instead of pup001 should be possible. As I understand it the pup001 file 'pretends' to be a partition so It'd be a case of pointing puppy to the partition instead (and probably telling it to expect a partition instead of a pupfile)

To be honest I don't have much of an idea how to do this - it may be easy, may be darn tricky. The 'magic' is in the bootscripts, they reside in /etc/rc.d. Hope others can be of more use. Good Luck!

Chris

kelewax

#3 Post by kelewax »

The reason is I found a patch for Winblows that let it read/write to a ext2/3 partiton as if it were a native Win format. Nice for cross-compatabilty, no?
Please could you post the link to where you got the winblows patch?
Also let us know if you were successful with the suggestion above.
Which of the favours of your Lord can you deny?

rarsa

#4 Post by rarsa »

My Recommendation?

Here is what I do.

I create a folder /mnt/home/data

I create a link to that under /root

Code: Select all

cd ~
ln -s /mnt/home/data  data
I save all my data to the data folder.

/mnt/home corresponds to the partition where the pup001 file is.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

kelewax wrote:
Please could you post the link to where you got the winblows patch?
Also let us know if you were successful with the suggestion above.
Yes, please do. It may be especially important since Microsoft's patent on the FAT filesystem has been upheld.

Does anyone know how long a software patent is good for? (Answer: 20 years in the U.S..)
Last edited by Flash on Wed 18 Jan 2006, 04:42, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Doolie

oops sorry

#6 Post by Mr Doolie »

kelewax wrote:Please could you post the link to where you got the winblows patch?

[Slaps himself alongside the head] Of course. I should have done that automatically.

http://www.fs-driver.org/index.html

Also others here:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=wi ... gle+Search

Don't know for sure if it works though. Untested on my system. Step one was to be get Pup to use a partiton for his data.

Yes, I know about a Type-2 install but was trying to stay away from that.
The Poor Man's using Wingrub is working so well and is so easy and fast.
-------------------------------------------------
Here's an idea.
I'll make that ext2 partitont and format it. Then have a Puppy script that:
1) Mounts it.
2) Copies all the files from pup001 into it.
3) Unmounts pup001
4) Mounts root on the partiiton instead of the pup001 file.

Then every time I run Pup I can just run a script that does steps 1,3 and 4.

I simply MUST learn Linuxspeak but until then would one of you experts
write those scripts for me please? Thanks,

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#7 Post by GuestToo »

Would I change the pup001blahblahblah line in my wingrub settings to something else maybe?
maybe (or maybe not) all you have to do is leave out the PFILE=pup001-none-262144 part

i think Puppy will use the partition automatically instead of a pup001 file, if you don't set the PFILE parameter ... i remember 1 or 2 people who were getting a lot of individual files on their usb drives because they didn't have PFILE set

maybe something like this:

title = Puppy
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PHOME=hda1
initrd /image.gz

if you want to use hda1 for your Puppy files

Mr Doolie

darn

#8 Post by Mr Doolie »

Mr Doolie wrote:
kelewax wrote:Please could you post the link to where you got the winblows patch?

[Slaps himself alongside the head] Of course. I should have done that automatically.

http://www.fs-driver.org/index.html

Well, it doesn't work at all on my system (Win2000). Windows wants to format it every time I boot up. I can't get it mounted using the software either.

Stupid Winblows!

Mr Doolie

#9 Post by Mr Doolie »

GuestToo wrote: kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PHOME=hda1

if you want to use hda1 for your Puppy files
hda is my winblows partition.

I made a ext2 partiton (hda2) and mounted in in puppy to test. All OK. Can read/write to it. The changed the entry in wingrub to PHOME=hda2.
Puppy looks for /mnt/home/hda2 and tells me the filesystem is corrupted.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#10 Post by GuestToo »

maybe you can't do what you want to ... i don't know whether it can or not, i've never tried to do it this way

i have a pup001 file, and put big stuff on other drives, and i can use symlinks in /root to other drives if i want

maybe you can't use PHOME without PFILE
maybe not using PHOME would work (but i don't know what drive Puppy would use to put /root)

at worst, maybe you could mount your partition (on maybe /mnt/hda5), unmount /root, then symlink /root and /usr and /etc to /mnt/hda5/root and /mnt/hda5/usr and /mnt/hda5/etc