seamonkey just shuts down?

Booting, installing, newbie
mystmaiden

seamonkey just shuts down?

#1 Post by mystmaiden »

I decided to try puppy live on the only windows machine I have left and it is behaving a bit oddly. I'll be browsing and seamonkey will just close, no error message at all. The os is acting generally slow as well. This machine has 128 mgs of ram. My other older machine that I installed puppy on is so fast now, I was hoping this one would perk up, too. Maybe its because I'm trying to run this live? Does seamonkey have a cache I should bypass or something? Any suggestions would be welcome.

myst

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Yeah, it does that to me too. I think it has something to do with an incompatibility between Flash player and SeaMonkey. It's been that way for a long time. I'm working around to trying either the Opera with Flash 10 or SeaMonkey 2 with Flash 10, after I have the time to find out a little more.

mikeb

#3 Post by mikeb »

Well the gtk 2.12.1 update (and gobject to 2.18...not 100% if both are needed) fixes firefox and flash so probably helps seamonkey. Flash 9 does have bugs which seem to result in freezing rather than crashing the browser but flash 10 is ok...
In your case though you could be running out of ram during use.
Which puppy version?
a swap partition is picked up when running live...if you could squeeze one in perhaps.

mie

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Well, shoot. It turns out that Yahoo mail beta won't run in Opera and the SeaMonkey .pet said it installed in Puppy 4.3 beta, but hung up when I tried to start the program.

So I'm back to square one: waiting for the next beta of Puppy, hoping it will fix my Flash problems without breaking something else. :lol: The good news is, Barry works fast, so that I won't have to wait long.

mikeb

#5 Post by mikeb »

Does seamonkey have a cache I should bypass or something?
you can set it to zero in preferences....will help if ram space is the problem and unless you are on dial up having a cache seems pointless anyway.

I have stable flash 10 on puppy 4.12 by using the gtk updates...no need to wait. :)

Ps forum is very sludgy today.....

mike

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

You keep mentioning those gtk updates without saying where to get them. The internet is a big place. :?

mikeb

#7 Post by mikeb »

The internet is a big place
nope this forum is a nightmare to find anything on :D

So from my collection

1) http://www.4shared.com/file/pqqb8VhT/gt ... input.html
2) http://www.4shared.com/archive/KcNkjaAW ... 86tar.html
3) http://www.4shared.com/file/pTCrTSB5/gl ... ipped.html

1) is a must...this may be all you need....also fixes a problem with graphics tablets..
If crashing persists....
2) has to be added manually and links altered..it is what I used first before 1) ...I have 1) and 2) installed
3) may be a neater alternative to 2) but I have not tried it..others have.

As mentioned flash 9 is not 100% bug free but 10 behaves (so far)

hope that makes sense.

I'm not sure to what extent the latest puppies include thes updates.

mike
Last edited by mikeb on Thu 08 Mar 2012, 18:39, edited 1 time in total.

Pizzasgood

#8 Post by Pizzasgood »

#1 is already included in Puppy 4.2.x. Not sure about 4.3.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

mystmaiden

#9 Post by mystmaiden »

Thanks everyone! I apologize for the slow reply, hurt my shoulder the other day and it made sitting at the computer for more than a minute or two pretty much unbearable.

I'm not sure which thing is making it crash, I'm using puppy 4.2.1. I ordered some more ram for it just in case and will try the other suggestions as well.

mikeb

#10 Post by mikeb »

The os is acting generally slow as well. This machine has 128 mgs of ram.
If you are running from the cd then with this amount of ram puppy will probably not be loading into it...the cd will spinn up when you open programs and will indeed slow things down...more ram will help..ebay is your friend.

this may or may not relate to crashing but is worth doing anyway

mike

mystmaiden

#11 Post by mystmaiden »

yep, ebay is where I ordered the ram. Half the price of the same ram retail and its new. Life has its little rewards! :lol:

myst

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#12 Post by Flash »

Thanks, Mike. :D