Epson CX3800 Printer with Epson C50 Driver won't work in Pup

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
james91911

Epson CX3800 Printer with Epson C50 Driver won't work in Pup

#1 Post by james91911 »

Hello to all: My first (and not my last :-) Puppy post. My printer is not supported in Lunux, but through trial and error I have found that the Epson Stylus C50 printer driver does work - perfectly with gray scale and "pretty good" in color with the High Quality Image (GIMP-Print) in Ubuntu 5x and the GIMP 2.4 (English) 2.4 driver in Linspire. The Puppy version is 1.0.7 Dec 05 and the driver chosen is the ijs-escp2-c50 with a one word printer description Epson. Path is /bin/sbin/usr but when I try to print in the default e-mail or document mode I get the following message: Enter print Command Line (%s' will be replaced with finename) and lprshell%s shows in the command line box). Properties shows /etc/pdq/drivers/ghostscript and file name is ijs-escp2-c50. I did choose the Epson as the default printer. Hope someone can point me in the right direction here because I am missing a step somewhere :-). Thanks so much. james91911

babbs

#2 Post by babbs »

I have this printer at work. It connects directly to my laptop via USB cable. The laptop is new to me, as is the printer. I haven't had a chance to do as much tinkering as James, but I would appreciate someone looking into this for us.

Thanks,
Babbs

james91911

#3 Post by james91911 »

Hello to all: I have done some additional work on this situation and add the following information. xpdq says two jobs finished. File Type: PostScript document. File Name: stdin. Printer>details says Verification of Printer: Epson. This printer is configured properly and should work on your system. Fix was selecting USB and setting Epson as default in that order. Printer Job Details: Finished. Involked by: /usr/bin/lpr. All well and good, but it still did not print in e-mail or word processing. Answer: I was able to use a GIMP driver in other Linux Debain distributions (have not tried a RPM based distribution), but Puppy uses Ghostscript, so of course the C50 driver can't match up. Solution is to go back and try different Ghostscript drivers until I hit one that will match up with the CX3800. When I find one, I will be sure to post here. The best of days to you all. :) james91911.

OverDrive

How did you make out?

#4 Post by OverDrive »

James, did you ever get anything to work? If not there are free proprietary linux drivers for Epsons at http://www.avasys.jp/english/linux_e/linux.html

These drivers are for LPD or CUPS printing systems ( I installed CUPS on my puppy and the drivers worked for my CX4800). Hope this helps....

OverDrive
Instant Puppy Fan!!!