3D-Dri-Kernelmodules for most Graficscards

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
MU

3D-Dri-Kernelmodules for most Graficscards

#1 Post by MU »

###########################

this message is no longer valid !

use instead:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=13114

###########################

Forget my experiments with X.org 6.9.

These modules work with puppys X.org 6.8.1.

They enable the 3D-Hardware-acelleration for a wide variety of Graficscards, so they are a "must" for people who like to play games.

Note if you have a Nvidia-card, use these instructions instead:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=5206

Note
For ATI-cards up to the "200"-series, there also is an experimental Dotpup of ATIs propriatary Drivers (Feedback needed!):
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=41155#41155

Download free X.org-DRI-drivers (424 kb):
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/XServer/DRI-Kernelmodules.pup

Install, then run the following command in a console after every reboot, or add this line as second line to /etc/rc.d/rc.local0

install-DRI MODULNAME

Instead of MODULNAME you must use the name of your module.
If you want to load radeon.o , use
/usr/local/install-DRI/install-DRI radeon

These modules are available:
i810.o
i830.o
i915.o
mach64.o
mga.o (Matrox)
r128.o (Rage)
radeon.o
savage.o
sis.o (not 650)
tdfx.o
via.o (note: better "unichrome-driver" available in a following message)

You also will need a "dri"-file especially for your graficscard, get it from here:
http://noforum.de/dotpups/X11R6addons/

important on Puppy1.0.7 / 1.0.8 the "Xorg-libGL/Mesa"-libraries must be installed with PupGet.
You also should install glxinfo to test if DRI is enabled:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/download.php?id=1756

Some cards like mach64 might need this OpenGL-version instead (it already includes glxinfo): http://noforum.de/dotpups/X11R6addons/OpenGL.pup

-------------------------------------
Finally, modify your xorg.conf with an editor - in Section "Module" check that Load "dbe" and Load "glx" are there.
Add this line:

Code: Select all

Load "dri" 
Then restart X.
Run "glxinfo" in a consolewindow and hope to see "direct rendering: Yes"

These pictures show, what nice effects you can get, playing Doomsday on a Pentium 700 with a old ATI-Radeo 7000 VE-card:

Mark
Last edited by MU on Thu 04 Jan 2007, 12:39, edited 14 times in total.

gnomen

#2 Post by gnomen »

A truly great project! :D I have a via chipset. I followed your instructions. Below is the output of the command. I take it something is not as it should :?

# /usr/local/install-DRI/install-DRI via
/lib/modules/2.4.29/kernel/drivers/char/drm/via.o: unresolved symbol remove_proc_entry_R07cdb555
/lib/modules/2.4.29/kernel/drivers/char/drm/via.o: unresolved symbol init_mm_Ra5a82bf7
/lib/modules/2.4.29/kernel/drivers/char/drm/via.o: unresolved symbol fasync_helper_Rff3675bc
/lib/modules/2.4.29/kernel/drivers/char/drm/via.o: unresolved symbol create_proc_entry_R513ef54a
/lib/modules/2.4.29/kernel/drivers/char/drm/via.o: unresolved symbol do_mmap_pgoff_R84b5e12b
/lib/modules/2.4.29/kernel/drivers/char/drm/via.o: unresolved symbol mem_map_Rccad73b7
/lib/modules/2.4.29/kernel/drivers/char/drm/via.o: unresolved symbol vmap_Rd2d0b8ae
/lib/modules/2.4.29/kernel/drivers/char/drm/via.o: unresolved symbol register_chrdev_R15f3e0ca
/lib/modules/2.4.29/kernel/drivers/char/drm/via.o: unresolved symbol vmalloc_to_page_Rc7b80706
/lib/modules/2.4.29/kernel/drivers/char/drm/via.o: unresolved symbol add_wait_queue_R424e6285
/lib/modules/2.4.29/kernel/drivers/char/drm/via.o: unresolved symbol send_sig_info_R64c43f54
/lib/modules/2.4.29/kernel/drivers/char/drm/via.o: unresolved symbol remove_wait_queue_Re9cecea0
/lib/modules/2.4.29/kernel/drivers/char/drm/via.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.29/kernel/drivers/char/drm/via.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.29/kernel/drivers/char/drm/via.o: insmod via failed
fake it until you make it

MU

#3 Post by MU »

:shock: just loaded the via-module on 2 different computers with 3 different pup001 (Puppy 107 beta and final), without errors.

No idea how to help you :(
What for a puppy do you use?

gnomen

#4 Post by gnomen »

After seeing your post I got a reframe on the issue. I am using 107, but I was using bombayrockers 2.4.29-lck... I swaped back to the stock kernel/image.gz and voila the module loads :D Thank you so much for this!
fake it until you make it

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Gamepup

#5 Post by Lobster »

I tried it with 1.0.7 and used the via driver (I have a built in savage card) I was unsuccesful - but the procedure was quite complex to follow (but I did rush it somewhat) :oops: - also my system is getting overloaded with stray files - so have started a new pristine pup001

The screen shots look great :)

We need more testers - no one play games anymore?
Come on you guys - who knows Gamepup could be on its way . . . Hey wait a minute didn't we have such a project? Anyone connected a joystick to Puppy? - xorg should make that possible . . .

8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

MU

#6 Post by MU »

Lobster, what Driver is used in your xorg.conf?

If it is "via":
install the dotpup.
And install http://noforum.de/dotpups/X11R6addons/d ... ndrake.pup

In a console type:
/usr/local/install-DRI/install-DRI via

Restart X.
Run "glxinfo" to test if it works(it should say "DRI: yes").

As you can play Descent2 I assume your /etc/X11/xorg.conf includes these 2 lines in Section "Module":

Load       "dri"
    Load       "glx"
These are important for 3D.

There also is a "savage"-Kernelmodule, load it with:
/usr/local/install-DRI/install-DRI savage if via does not work.

But my download-site has no "dri-savage.pup" for X.org 6.8.x.
Please try the via first. If it does not work, I could create a X.org 6.9 -Savage Dotpup.

Mark

tempestuous

#7 Post by tempestuous »

MU
As I reported in your other post "ATI-3D-Drivers(old cards) / X.org 6.9 RC1" http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?t=4956 I have been trying to set up DRI accelerated graphics for VIA Unichrome/Pro systems, specifically for the VIA Epia mini-ITX systems.
After several failed attempts, I obtained a unit for testing (thanks to mskuma) and now finally have it working. It was not necessary to use a modified kernel as I said then.
It was useful to refer to the files in your DRI-Kernelmodules.pup package, and what I found may interest you.

Your package certainly adds OpenGL (Mesa) 3D capability to my test VIA system, but the X server log does not report the all-important "direct rendering enabled".
And the 3D test utility, glxgears, yields only the same modest frame-rate (90 FPS) as I can obtain when there are no DRI modules loaded at all.
And yes, I installed the xorg_opengl-6.8.1 pupget, ran "install-DRI via", and added "Load "dri"" to xorg.conf before launching X. lsmod lists agpgart and via.

So it appears that DRI is not enabled with your VIA package. You might want to investigate this, yourself.
So I attach a package containing glxgears and glxinfo. I would be interested to learn what glxinfo reports with other graphics cards. It should report "direct rendering: Yes"

So what's the difference when DRI is enabled? With glxgears the VIA Epia achieves 430 FPS at 24bit and over 500 FPS at 16bit ... a dramatic improvement in anyone's language.
I will put together the VIA package shortly and make it available. This package could be easily adapted for other graphics cards, too. The DRI modules just need to be substituted.
Attachments
glxgears_glxinfo.tar.gz
(27.12 KiB) Downloaded 968 times
Last edited by tempestuous on Thu 19 Jan 2006, 14:04, edited 1 time in total.

MU

#8 Post by MU »

Very good that you'll provide a package. I only can test SIS 650 and ATI 7000. SIS 650 has no 3D, ATI runs glxgears (Direct Rendering: yes) with 1900 fps. Without DRI just 300 fps.

Mark

tempestuous

#9 Post by tempestuous »

I see that your DRI package is working well with the ATI card.

In the case of the VIA Epia CLE266, DRI cannot be enabled with Puppy's libGL library. I had to provide an updated version.
And neither will DRI work with Puppy's "standard" XOrg 6.8.1 VIA module (via_drv.o).

But the Epia graphics chips, referred to as "Unichrome", are somewhat different to other VIA chips.
My DRI / DRM modules and libGL libraries are from http://dri.freedesktop.org , an offshoot of XFree86/Xorg, and the main Xorg driver is from a separate project - www.openchrome.org
This project also provides the libviaXvMC libraries for the hardware MPEG2 acceleration feature of the Unichrome chips.

I recently read on the Openchrome mailing list that this driver is about to be incorporated into Xorg 7.0.

MU

#10 Post by MU »

Here is a Dotpup with the VIA-openchrome 3D-files from tempestuous.

It includes updated GL-libs, the Kernel-Module, the X.org -Drivers, and an installer.

Install the dotpup, then choose "show-via-openchrome-info" in the Dotpups-menu.

Download (1,3 MB):
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/XServer/3D-DR ... chrome.pup

Mark

rild

#11 Post by rild »

MU wrote:Here is a Dotpup with the VIA-openchrome 3D-files from tempestuous.

It includes updated GL-libs, the Kernel-Module, the X.org -Drivers, and an installer.

Install the dotpup, then choose "show-via-openchrome-info" in the Dotpups-menu.

Download (1,3 MB):
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/XServer/3D-DR ... chrome.pup

Mark
Hi,
Sorry about dump questions below :( But I need a little help here
I have VIA EPIA ML8000 mainboard. On Puppy 1.0.7 I install the package from above and have added the
Load "dri"
into my xorg.conf file
I didn't found this
show-via-openchrome-info
can someone help me with this?
I also compiled by myself SDL-1.2.9 from source. I also compiled succesfull application that uses SDL and OpenGL. But when I try to start it - it failed. I think that this is something with the DRI because when I start this applicaation without DRI module loaded - I receive message that told me that DRI isn't found, but I can see the application. Ofcource the speed is very slow. Can someone help me with this issue?
Thank you in advance
rild

MU

#12 Post by MU »

show-via-openchrome-info is in the "Dotpups"-menu.
You also can click it in ROX in the folder /usr/local/via-openchrome

Or run "show-via-openchrome-info" in a consolewindow.

Mark

willhunt

I have the same problem gnomen

#13 Post by willhunt »

I it is my fault though as I have the boosted puppy and this
after all is a kernel module :) maybe MU or bombayrocker
would compile a set for that kernnel (please) :)

I tried to install dris but everytime I try and run python on mine
it won't load lib files or do this "import os" thing I'm again not sure
why it does this yet

rild

#14 Post by rild »

MU wrote:show-via-openchrome-info is in the "Dotpups"-menu.
You also can click it in ROX in the folder /usr/local/via-openchrome

Or run "show-via-openchrome-info" in a consolewindow.

Mark
Thank you Mark,
I follow all steps described into "show-via-openchrome-info" and now I have OpenGL :) Just one note regarding this instructions for VIA EPIA ML8000 mainboard - DO NOT ADD THIS LINE INTO xorg.conf
Option "EnableAGPDMA" "true"
With this option X runs very slow and there is no refresh on the desktop...

tempestuous

#15 Post by tempestuous »

willhunt,
As long as Boosted Puppy still contains Xorg 6.8.1 then the only file that should need to be changed is the DRM kernel module, via.o.
This module should be compiled from source from http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/ against Boosted Puppy's lck-patched 2.4.29 kernel tree.
CVS download instructions are here - http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/Building under "Getting DRM". Then to build -

## cd into the correct directory for 2.4 kernels -
cd /drm/linux
make DRM_MODULES=via

rild,
I will try your suggestion of not using Option "EnableAGPDMA" "true" with mskuma's Epia ML8000A, and report soon.
Last edited by tempestuous on Thu 19 Jan 2006, 14:05, edited 1 time in total.

willhunt

Thanks for the help

#16 Post by willhunt »

I followed your instructions the cvs part went fine I think
but when I went to compile I get this error message

Makefile:170: *** Cannot find a kernel config file. Stop.

ok I'm new to this thing called linux and really have no
idea where I would find this? any clues pointers ect
would be great!

tempestuous

#17 Post by tempestuous »

You need the full kernel source tree, patched and configured to match the kernel you are running.
Bombayrockers has this, of course, since he built this kernel, and I see that MU has asked for the exact setup details also.

It's worth pointing out that for versions of Puppy other than 1.0.4 through 1.0.7 with the "standard" 2.4.29 kernel that many add-on driver packages presently available for download will be incompatible.

MU

#18 Post by MU »

I will try to compile new modules for the patched Kernel this weekend.
Mark

tempestuous

#19 Post by tempestuous »

I removed the Option "EnableAGPDMA" "true" from the xorg.conf file, and glxgears performance improved slightly, from 520FPS to 550FPS.
Since this option appears to offer no benefit, I will ask MU to remove reference to it.

And I forgot to mention that with Puppy's 2.4 kernel these drivers only support the CLE266 "Unichrome" graphics chipset, not the CN400 "Unichrome Pro" chipset found on the Epia SP8000E and SP13000.
A 2.6 kernel is needed for the Unichrome Pro.

tempestuous

#20 Post by tempestuous »

Since the DRI VIA package adds MPEG2 hardware support, I decided it was worthwhile to compile a version of Xine which can access this feature.
MU is preparing this Xine package as a DotPup.
I will make a separate post about this package when it's ready.