New features on .ca

News, happenings
Caneri

New features on .ca

#1 Post by Caneri »

Hi All,

There is a new website for puppylinux.ca and I wanted the community to respond with yeas or nays for the search,news and whatever you like or don't like.

There are many changes to the underlying structure, so problems with downloads, or anything else that tweaks your fancy..please respond here so we can fix it or add to it or ignore it...*wink and a nudge*

Remember that puppylinux.asia will be shutdown as of December 2009 so any devs that have files there should start a backup now in case it goes offline again before December.

Best,
Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

davesurrey

#2 Post by davesurrey »

Hi Eric,
I am a bit surprised no one has yet given you any feedback but it just may be that everyone likes it.

My personal opinion is that feedback can be positive as well as negative so....

In summary I feel it's a really big improvement. The look is clean and bright, I really appreciate the News section with latest additions/latest blog/etc, the links are really useful and the search "just worked".

Perhaps with the addition of a link to ibiblio if that is possible.

So, sorry Eric, but I just can't find one thing wrong with it.!! :-)

As ever it's a great service you are providing here which just got even better.
Many thanks

Cheers
Dave
Last edited by davesurrey on Tue 25 Aug 2009, 12:03, edited 1 time in total.

ttuuxxx

#3 Post by ttuuxxx »

hi Eric if puppylinux.asia is going down in dec, are we going to get accounts at .ca made up/reactivated for us to transfer over? Just wondering, thanks once again
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Caneri

#4 Post by Caneri »

Hi Ho Jeff,

For now I'm not planning on ftp accounts like we have on .asia.

I'm using a public ftp area much like MU does/did where people upload there and I move files to the download area.

Now I realize this isn't as good as .asia but I have to build each ftp user on the new .ca and it can be a bit tricky so there will be far more controls on ftp users....as in one main directory and one sub-directory or something like that (no more sub-directories inside sub-directories to infinity).

I like the petstore idea that gposil is doing...with that running I can handle the big files such as iso or sfs etc and .pets can be done on the petstore...good work gposil.

I'm not doing backups from .asia as it took days the last time so each dev will be responsible for their work. That being said most of .asia is already on .ca so it will be just a few devs that will need a serious backup.

Hey things they are a changin' as I will slowly be leaving the project and need to focus on .ca only as puppylinux.ca is intended to be a permanent server for Puppy...Eric

EDIT: and I can't afford both servers anymore...a shame.
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

davesurrey

#5 Post by davesurrey »

caneri wrote:
Hey things they are a changin' as I will slowly be leaving the project
Hey Eric, this is a bit cryptic, at least to me. Are you leaving Puppy, or .ca with someone else at the helm, or what?

It would be sad to see yet another major contributor go.

Cheers
Dave

ttuuxxx

#6 Post by ttuuxxx »

Caneri wrote:Hi Ho Jeff,

I'm using a public ftp area much like MU does/did where people upload there and I move files to the download area.

Now I realize this isn't as good as .asia but I have to build each ftp user on the new .ca and it can be a bit tricky so there will be far more controls on ftp users....as in one main directory and one sub-directory or something like that (no more sub-directories inside sub-directories to infinity).

I like the petstore idea that gposil is doing...with that running I can handle the big files such as iso or sfs etc and .pets can be done on the petstore...good work gposil.

I'm not doing backups from .asia as it took days the last time so each dev will be responsible for their work. That being said most of .asia is already on .ca so it will be just a few devs that will need a serious backup.

Hey things they are a changin' as I will slowly be leaving the project and need to focus on .ca only as puppylinux.ca is intended to be a permanent server for Puppy...Eric

EDIT: and I can't afford both servers anymore...a shame.
Hi Eric maybe talk to guy at http://linuxfreedom.com/AboutUs/
He provides free server space for linux apps/distros and his dedicated server is donated from http://www.lunarpages.com/
Even the latest puppy is mirrored on it I found out today,
ftp://linuxfreedom.com/puppylinux/
ttuuxxx

Caneri

#7 Post by Caneri »

Hi Dave,

No the .ca project will continue and I will continue to pay the bills.
I fully intend on puppylinux.ca to be permanent.

All I am saying is that sometimes I need time to focus on other things as .ca can be a full time job for sure.

I'm not leaving in a cold turkey way...just a slow down on my end. The files will still be there and updates will be handled in a timely manner (or as fast as I can).

Eric
Chinese Proverb[/color]

davesurrey

#8 Post by davesurrey »

Hi Eric
Thanks for the explanation.
Good to hear you'll still be around even if, understandably, you need time for other things.
Take care
Dave

James C

#9 Post by James C »

My first impression of the "new" puppylinux.ca is.......I like the new look and features.Haven't fully explored everything yet but I like what I see so far.
I appreciate all that you do for Puppy.

ttuuxxx

#10 Post by ttuuxxx »

Caneri wrote:Hi Ho Jeff,

Ummm Eric so that means after we make packages then we have to wait for you to move the files, and then find the links to the new locations so then we can post the links in the forum?
Not trying to complain just trying to understand how complicated this new system will be, and the extra work you'll have take on, maybe give trusted developers/packagers the keys to move post there own packages in the right locations, saving you to move them and to speed/less complicate the final outcome.
ttuuxxx

Caneri

#11 Post by Caneri »

Hi Jeff,

I agree this isn't as good as individual ftp accounts but I need to control what goes on the server at .ca.

What is happening is, devs upload pre-alpha,pre-beta, test files etc and in a day they are redundant with an new updated file and the stale files remain on the server.

What this does is cause a huge problem for the general public as they can't navigate the directories on .ca to find the latest file because they have to wade through hundreds, and I mean hundreds and hundreds, of stale files and sub-directories.

I've asked devs to clean up their dirs numerous times but only one or two did so and when we do a backup we are taking days of our time to backup stale files and this isn't acceptable for me or the public users any longer. Cripes we had a file that was 4mb of text just for a search engine and this was mostly stale files again.

I continually get executable files uploaded to the servers and this is another reason for the need of better security and control. I even had a user with personal google ads inside the uploaded files and this is not cool and the user removed them in a timely manner.

All in all the point is better control of files and security as the .ca server gets hit by the bad guys regularly and this will be better for most of the users in the long run.

Best,
Eric
Chinese Proverb[/color]

Pizzasgood

#12 Post by Pizzasgood »

I continually get executable files uploaded to the servers and this is another reason for the need of better security and control.
This won't help immediately after something is uploaded, but to prevent them from sitting there for too long you could set up a cronjob that periodically runs something like this:

Code: Select all

find /path/to/somewhere -type f \( -perm -100 -o -perm -010 -o -perm 001 \) -exec chmod -x "{}" \+
That would find any files that are executable and remove the executable bit. It won't change any other permissions on the file.

Actually, that should be able to be simplified to this:

Code: Select all

find /path/to/somewhere -type f -perm /111 -exec chmod -x "{}" \+
But for some reason, Puppy doesn't seem to treat the /111 part correctly. Or maybe I'm misreading the manual.
http://linux.die.net/man/1/find
Last edited by Pizzasgood on Thu 27 Aug 2009, 18:16, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Caneri

#13 Post by Caneri »

Hi PG,

Funny you posted this as we were just discussing that very thing with a cron...alas, I'm a such a stunted cronite/scripter.

If we can find a happy medium I'll reconsider ftp accounts and open it up a bit...but with major restrictions for sure..Eric
Chinese Proverb[/color]

prit1

#14 Post by prit1 »

Thanks PG. Yeah, its really a coincidence. As we were discussing this solution too. The second (shorter) command you mentioned works correctly.
[url=http://macpup.org][b]Macpup - The beauty of linux[/b][/url] [b] | [/b] [url=http://pritlog.com/][b]Pritlog - Simple blog app[/b][/url]

tlchost

#15 Post by tlchost »

Caneri wrote:Hi PG,

Funny you posted this as we were just discussing that very thing with a cron...
Of course you could simply have a script that deletes any file in the upload area(s) that is executable. Kinda like "I told ya so"

Caneri

#16 Post by Caneri »

Hey Thom..I like that one and maybe a ban for a month or so to accent the error or intent...Eric
Chinese Proverb[/color]

tlchost

#17 Post by tlchost »

Caneri wrote:Hey Thom..I like that one and maybe a ban for a month or so to accent the error or intent...Eric
I have a forum for amateur radio operators....and the registration message is crystal clear....use you amateur radio call sign as a login. If you are not a ham, send me an email with the login name you used and why you wnat to join the forum.

It don;t get much simpler than that....but there are folks who don't follow the instructions. I used to send them a polite email, explained the policy, etc.

But, after a while that got old....do I simply tag them to be denied....and they get an email sayng the request was denied.

So folks get real indignant....they send email with hundreds of words arguing with my policy, explaing they don't want to divulge personal information....and I respond with a canned response that once again quotes the policy.

There are actually a few dim-bulbs that continue to argue...so I ban their address/ip ....

But, you seem like a nice person...maybe you can hand hold :twisted:

Thom

Caneri

#18 Post by Caneri »

Hi Thom...I enjoy your wit/experience.

Well, it does get old...and, you see, I'm not going to hand hold as there a bunch of really good people that use .ca that don't need it...and a few that will not listen....not my problem anymore as the ground rules are set (subject to change of course).

This being said...I'm still on the original mission statement for .ca and the new rules should help out all of us.

Eric
Chinese Proverb[/color]

tlchost

#19 Post by tlchost »

Caneri wrote:Hi Thom...I enjoy your wit/experience.
I'm flattered.
Well, it does get old...and, you see, I'm not going to hand hold as there a bunch of really good people that use .ca that don't need it...and a few that will not listen....not my problem anymore as the ground rules are set (subject to change of course).
It's good to have ground rules....and if they're such that you can keep "hands off" and still perform the mission, you've gotten to the right place.

Looks like you're on the right track....the cream of the crop will rise to the surface with you.

Thom

Aitch

#20 Post by Aitch »

Looks like you're on the right track....the cream of the crop will rise to the surface with you.
Full support here for that, Thom

Eric, .....bit late finding this thread, sorry

Love the new site look & feel - very clean & professional - complements to the designers

Searches seem good, stats are interesting/useful, links good....

What more to say?

Good Luck with any other ventures you may be involved in, [more fishing, beer and lovin' :wink: ]..... thanks again for your continued support

Aitch :)