Dev-Pup (Released v1.0)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Nekroze

Dev-Pup (Released v1.0)

#1 Post by Nekroze »

Come one come all!

Do you or do you want to or even ever wished to be able to use Puppy Linux to develop software, make programs for windows or linux, model characters for a game or animated movie, what about even making an entire game completely on the go without the massive hassle of finding and setting up every single thing needed!

Well alas here it is Dev-Pup, geared specifically to be an entire Project and Software development suite. Packed with programs well known and liked and not to mention free and working, Dev-Pup has every thing you need to make almost anything you need on the go, but more then that not only can you take your projects and indeed your entire workspace with you almost anywhere to work on virtually any computer you can also do it with safety and at practically no cost you can do it in style.

What more could a developer need?
No seriously if there is anything a developer could need please tell me, and I will happily add it on.

Dev-Pup as now come out of the major BETA stage and is now Dev-Pup1.0 released the official full edition see the download links bellow!

From thus forth i spew my project to this community to hopefully not just allow this project that I am really beginning to love grow but also to begin to help Puppy Linux generally prosper!

Lets get down to some details here ok there is a lot but this is the major points:
1. Dev-Pup (at the moment) is primarily born of Puppy 4.1.2
-- more specifically i used the 412 puplet G-pup1.2
-- G-pup 1.2 is a very small SMP capable flavour of Puppy
2. Dev-pup comes with the Devx412 module simply built in and working with all features.
3. Dev-pup comes with wine allowing any Microsoft Windows component and thus programs to be easily used within Dev-Pup with little to no hassle.
4. Dev-Pup now comes with QEMU, thats right once you have made your software you can even test it in a risk free virtual machine all you have to do is place any bootable iso image in /root/ and run qemu easy as!
5. has build in Blender, what more can i say its an awesome 3d moddeling program for you.
6. TrueCrypt portable. although in the "/Portable Dev Apps" it runs without wine that is, in Linux with one simple file!
7. has the all powerful GIMP software and toolkit for true image mastery.
8. uses the simple and elegant iceWM Window Manager
10. Dev-Pup 1.0 now comes with MinGWstudio a full IDE for software development!
9. Dev-pup currently also comes with:
--SeaMonkey full suite with mail client and even a html editor packaged in one!
--recognized but small, full music/video/dvd playing ripping and authoring suite
--Geany, Leaf Pad, MP & e3 Text editors
--CPU on demand allow more battery life for laptops adding to the portability of Dev-Pup
--pbackup and Pmirror to make sure the all importants are not lost in a massive catastrophe!!

Everything detailed in the changelog just below the download link!.

Suffice to say there is a fair bit in here and although I would LOVE to have Dev-Pup lose a bit of weight I cannot put my finger on a part that needs to be removed until I play with it more. Although do anticipate many more upgrades and updates!

So finally I leave you to play and test I hope there is nothing no Major problems with Dev-Pup or at least if there is a few more then you like please tell me and if you can a point in the right direction to fix it would be nice. But if all else fails i hope the majority of you can appreciate the aspirations I have for Dev-pup!

Get your Dev-Pup 1.0 release right here!
http://www.filefront.com/14438031/Dev-P ... vx412.iso/
MD5sum: 1a8135f4881415b32cfa0d1626ffc6da
ChangeLog download link here
Last edited by Nekroze on Tue 01 Sep 2009, 13:48, edited 13 times in total.

Nekroze

Goals

#2 Post by Nekroze »

Things to do in Dev-Pup:
-try to get Dev-Pup on a diet. I need to find out what is not needed in this full working environment?
-some more customization to add to the visual comfort of it all.
-Include some more packages for graphical development. it seems that the programming side of Dev-Pup overpowers the graphical at the moment.
-The next installment of Dev-Pup will be much more powerful as i will be building it from the ground up with Puppy Unleashed

Known Issues:
- Dev-Pup 1.0 cannot run blender as it needs Xorg to have DRI support this was stripped to combat fat but was not listed as a dependency for blender
-Download the Fix Here.

anything to either add to these list's or to help asses the issues or thoughts in this list from you all is much appreciated.

Thank you all,
Nekroze
Last edited by Nekroze on Tue 01 Sep 2009, 13:50, edited 4 times in total.

alseycolemanmiller

Use JWM

#3 Post by alseycolemanmiller »

Coool and useful flavor of Puppy, but wouldn´t any developer or hardcore linux software guru just use JWM?

Thanks anyway, but it´s scary to use a distro in beta stage so I'll have to create another partition on my experimantal PC and I´ll try to help you sending feedback.
Coleman,

[img]http://www.digitallyfanged.com/images/affiliates/rockman_banner1.gif[/img]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]
[img]http://www.phpbbplanet.com/forum/banners/cdatalk.gif[/img]

alseycolemanmiller

trimming dev-pup and other stuff

#4 Post by alseycolemanmiller »

Also, i think that if you want to trim your distro you should use JWM, delete GTKAM, delete xfce, delete icewm, make simple like barebones but with developing programs and SFS. My opinion.

Also you could put MinGWstudio,TLCtk, GTKBASIC and try putting BOCHS on it.

(or base it on Puppy 2.13 or 2.14 which work with Dotpups and works with older hardware...

All in your hands... haha
Coleman,

Nekroze

Shibbby

#5 Post by Nekroze »

Sweat thanks for the valued and very noted feedback i am in the works of version 1.0 now and it is looking almost 50+ MB's smaller even with xfce however i am also going to produce it (had planned this before reading your posts) to bring 1.0 out in two versions one with everything bar the Devx module and one with as the one without you would still be able to develop and test thing using the new QEMU system for a VM and the windows portables and graphics programs will still work fine.

however i think i may (although will be a latter release date) make a version 1.0 with devx based off of a very early puppy as you suggested.

of cause with all the added Dev-Ware (new term I'm working on) you suggested.

so in all THANKS! your posts are valid and being worked upon.
ANYTHING that anyone thinks should be in this even is they don't want to use it i cannot stress enough PLEASE tell me! and i hope everyone can enjoy the next version!

Nekroze

Trying to BUT!

#6 Post by Nekroze »

In note to the last post, i am yet to find downloads for the .iso of puppy 2.13/14 it only goes down to 2.16.1

I'm not to familiar with puppy history but was there a major difference between those two that make that less of an option?

If not ill start porting everything i can over to is now but much more barebones.

oh and whats the main difference between BOCHS and QEMU? you see i have already got a perfect working QEMU for Dev-Pup1.0 that can run any OS that is in root as a .iso and it just runs it.

if i am off by much thats ok ill pack both

EDIT: can anyone link my to any tcltk pup/pet I've yet to find any let-alone a more recent one

speaking of more recent versions unless minGW has some must have Feature over Ultimate++ ill go with that for updated-ness as they seem the same thing mostly and where linked together (kinda) so unless some says otherwise Dev-Pup gets U++ and should be uploaded inside of 12hrs or 24 in apocalyptic cataclysmic events happen lol

Thanks again mate,
Nekroze

MinHundHettePerro

Re: Trying to BUT!

#7 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Nekroze wrote:In note to the last post, i am yet to find downloads for the .iso of puppy 2.13/14 it only goes down to 2.16.1
Vintage puppies, including 213/214
214R(evisited)
214X, ttuuxxx' ongoing total overhaul of 214R

See also 214X8 in VMplayer

cheers/
MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

aarf

Re: Dev-Pup (Released v0.9 BETA)

#8 Post by aarf »

Nekroze wrote:

Get your Dev-Pup 0.9-b right here!
http://www.filefront.com/14406255/Dev-pup09-beta.iso
md5sum?

Nekroze

lol

#9 Post by Nekroze »

OMG i completely forgot.

i am awake at the moment because of a crash outside but am almost passing out as i typ.

will do tho.

Nekroze

Votes?

#10 Post by Nekroze »

First though the md5sum for the iso download will be delayed a tad as for some reason the one that i have uploaded for you all to download it seems i cannot find my data copy around to check.

so delay on that one.

and i need to know what version ya'll the 2. system should be based off-of.

Either:
puppy214R-1.01.iso 90MB
214X8.iso 108MB Modern Updated version of 214
puppy-2.14-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso 86MB Historical version
puppy-2.13-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso 84MB Historical version

At the moment im tending much more towards Updated version but thats just my current thoughts subject to change.

aarf

#11 Post by aarf »

the new puppy 4.30 final should be out in the coming weeks/months. with the current Dev-Pup already downloaded, 4.30 base for Dev-Pup would be my next bet/download. but if you want to repeat all your work again it is up to you.
whatever you choose, it would be helpful if you incorporate the puppy base name in the Dev-Pup.iso name.

Nekroze

Noted

#12 Post by Nekroze »

Noted however the reason of doing a version 2 build was to make a smaller cut down version and compatibility with really old hardware and such.

but that i did not know that 4.3 was so near will have to look about it more, i haven't done much research into it as yet but thanks. and by the puppy base do you mean like Dev-Pup09-beta412.iso like that.

MD5sum appended to OP... in 5 seconds or so.

aarf

Re: Noted

#13 Post by aarf »

Nekroze wrote: do you mean like Dev-Pup09-beta412.iso like that.
yes something like that to give an indication of the known vagaries it may inherit from the base. Dev-Pup-beta09--412.iso

Nekroze

sure

#14 Post by Nekroze »

fair enough will do the Dev-Pup's next release should be soon will still be under 4.1.2 but will make that clear in the name as well ok.

at the moment I'm not too sure of final release size but it should be well smaller. it will be released with xfce4.6.1 as the main WM with a complete menu overhaul (if anything delays the release its that tho) to make it simple and easy to find everything you need.

as i said earlier a version with and without devx412 module installed will be available at the same time however the other version based on a puppy 2xx system should be released within a week but no promises as i don't know how deep ill be once i begin and grab all the crapola i need.

that version based on puppy 2xx will be very minimal though but first i need a general consensus as to what version of 2xx it should be based on option in previous post.

I hope you all like this project and if not help me try to attain a Dev-Pup with all the DevWare you think should be packaged for comon use, thus in then allow you and many others to attain this perfect Dev-Pup

Thanks all for the support and feedback keep it coming!
Nekroze

alseycolemanmiller

#15 Post by alseycolemanmiller »

Nekroze wrote:In note to the last post, i am yet to find downloads for the .iso of puppy 2.13/14 it only goes down to 2.16.1

I'm not to familiar with puppy history but was there a major difference between those two that make that less of an option?

If not ill start porting everything i can over to is now but much more barebones.

oh and whats the main difference between BOCHS and QEMU? you see i have already got a perfect working QEMU for Dev-Pup1.0 that can run any OS that is in root as a .iso and it just runs it.

if i am off by much thats ok ill pack both

EDIT: can anyone link my to any tcltk pup/pet I've yet to find any let-alone a more recent one

speaking of more recent versions unless minGW has some must have Feature over Ultimate++ ill go with that for updated-ness as they seem the same thing mostly and where linked together (kinda) so unless some says otherwise Dev-Pup gets U++ and should be uploaded inside of 12hrs or 24 in apocalyptic cataclysmic events happen lol

Thanks again mate,
Nekroze
I´m cool if ya use Puppy Linux 4.21 and MinGWStudio is more user-friendly and orientated to C++ programming and debugging (haven´t tested the debugging yet!).
Fore tlc/tk go to dotpup.de and search there. I downloaded your ISO (v0.9beta) and added MinGW of couse, gonna put Kqemu right now and am fine with icewm because it doesn´t crash but JWM always gave me the KILL option when using bad windows programs.
Installed newest firefox PET package (tuxxx whatever .com ,haha hard to remeber all those xxxx's, umm has good browsers to replace seamonkey), and Ccleaner for Wine (not necessary but has the remove programs feature GUI you took off the Utilities Menu)
I had a library of custom windows icons mixed with Win95 Plus theme and hacked them when I was 12 so used them to make to Windows compatibility more user-friendly now (might upload them if you want and in rox set the icons for different MIME types???).

bla, bla bla, i´m tired (1 am!!!) and i´m very interested in supporting your project not criticizing it, so my idea was derived from teen pup but for developers: like in teenpup make it VERY user friendly (could use some scripts! though not sure what for, haha) but for programming and developing. could have a 260MB version and a 690MB version all fat but instead of 'TEEN' apps it would be loaded with Perl, Python, etc... all types of programs for developing.

PS. sorry for my ignorance tuxxx, hehe, see ya later![/b]
Coleman,

alseycolemanmiller

#16 Post by alseycolemanmiller »

Nekroze wrote:......oh and whats the main difference between BOCHS and QEMU? you see i have already got a perfect working QEMU for Dev-Pup1.0 that can run any OS that is in root as a .iso and it just runs it.

if i am off by much thats ok ill pack both......

.....Thanks again mate,
Nekroze
Gonna test Qemu today but i´m sure BOCHS is having lots of problems right now for Puppy Linux. So stick with Qemu.

here a link to a tread about BOCHS emulator (currently sucks!):

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=42967

Tell me if you want me to upload thoso ICOs (and CUR) files with a nice XP logo, hehe! or else gonna lookup the Wine favicon or 48*48 icon and post that (or U can shut me up say thats lame tooo, haha!) for windows application user-friendly compatibility ROX MIME-type icon set.
Coleman,

Nekroze

#17 Post by Nekroze »

That would be nice however Dev-Pup is to be using xfce that dose not use roxfiler it uses thunar so would that still work...

although i am kind of unsure of what u mean exactly are you saying that you can assist in getting the actual exe files icons to work in rox (hopefully with thunar)

That would be very nice but i would query the size cost of doing such a thing.

also i was thinking about making a fat version with practically everything i can find to accommodate every angle adequately.

Nekroze

Nekroze

Delays

#18 Post by Nekroze »

i am Currently working through the final bits of Dev-Pup 1.0 however am long behind schedule.

it should be completed by tomorrow. I have been having a few problems with the dotpups im not sure if its cause they are older or what but it seems that mingw after a few attempts would not open after installing however i will continue to work at it (its prolly something simple) and other little tidbits and i am yet to remaster the XFCE menu... it should be done by 24hrs from now. at the moment it is 12:40 here is australia midnight.

although it seems that the delays i mentioned are trivial and not enough to delay by a whole day yet remember i do still have a life and a signifigant other that needs atleast a quater as much time spent with as i do on my PC working on this and other puppy/linux related bits.

thank you all for supporting this project really! and sorry for the delays to expected timing...
Nekroze

Nekroze

GRRRRR!!!!!

#19 Post by Nekroze »

ok the main updates i wanted for Dev-Pup 1.0 was the mingwstudio and gtkbasic however i cannot use them as they will not open no matter what i do after installation. unless i can manage to get a newer version or a good a3ternate to these Dev-Pup 1.0 will not release.

i am very sorry to say such a thing but i will do my best to get the stuff up and running we all want so don't forget to keep updating me on things you think or want or think or anything.

i will still try to keep the release within the new week however i cannot rush it at this point or truly say what day it should be expected, i need some more feedback on the previous version of problems and such and more new software as the new additions are few for 1.0 at this point.

In mourning of a lost release date,
Nekroze

alseycolemanmiller

Wine ease

#20 Post by alseycolemanmiller »

Nekroze wrote:That would be nice however Dev-Pup is to be using xfce that dose not use roxfiler it uses thunar so would that still work...

although i am kind of unsure of what u mean exactly are you saying that you can assist in getting the actual exe files icons to work in rox (hopefully with thunar)

That would be very nice but i would query the size cost of doing such a thing.

also i was thinking about making a fat version with practically everything i can find to accommodate every angle adequately.

Nekroze
I want to assist en the Wine MIME-type, guess I'll have to learn to use thunar now and put it in a PET for you. The Dos-x apps (according to ROX all with .dll, .sys and .exe) should be configurated so its easy to just click on it and it opens with Wine and it has a Windows logo. I also could put a shortcut of winefile with its logo on the taskbar or enhance the Menu. User-friendly. XCE menu is sorta like OpenBox so mostly have to change it manually but its easier. so could locate the Menu.lst (or whatever the configuration file is) and create a folder with all the neccesary icons in root and export it en a PET package. Guess it won´t be in 1.0. No Problem.

PS. A question. Do you recommend me to upgrade my existing Dev-pup 0.9 beta installation (full installation!) or wipe the partition (this is a experimental PC so I do it anyway.) to install your dev-pup 1.0? Wanted to know.
Coleman,