Menu items for OpenOffice 3.1 not working?

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
rebbi2

Menu items for OpenOffice 3.1 not working?

#1 Post by rebbi2 »

Hi,

I installed the OpenOffice 3.1 sfs file. The menu items for the various components are there, but nothing happens if I click on them. However, if I click on the executables icons located in

/initrd/pup_ro4/opt/openoffice.org3/program/

The programs will run. How do I fix the menus? This is in Deep Thought 4.2.1, by the way.

Thanks! :D

muggins

#2 Post by muggins »

Symlink the executables, in /initrd/pup_ro4/opt/openoffice.org3/program/ , to /usr/bin, then look in /usr/share/applications for the relevant .desktop files...(the names may contain OpenOffice or Scalc, Swriter, Simpress etc)...open with a text editor & make sure the exec= line has the relevant executable...scalc, swriter etc.

rebbi2

#3 Post by rebbi2 »

Thanks for those tips, but I'm not sure how to do the symlink thing. Anybody willing to post a newbie walk-through?

Thanks in advance!!!

muggins

#4 Post by muggins »

Assuming the file, you click to start swriter, is:

/initrd/pup_ro4/opt/openoffice.org3/program/swriter, then you would do:

Code: Select all

ln -s /initrd/pup_ro4/opt/openoffice.org3/program/swriter /usr/bin

jakfish

#5 Post by jakfish »

How I solved this problem was not through symlinks, but by editing the .jwmrc file itself.

For some reason beyond my amateur standing, openoffice 3.1 loads into jwm menu but the simple "swriter," etc. fails to call the corresponding program because jwm doesn't seem to know its proper directory.

So I changed this:

<Program label="OpenOffice Writer wordprocessor" icon="swriter.xpm">swriter</Program>

to:

<Program label="OpenOffice Writer wordprocessor" icon="swriter.xpm">/initrd/pup_ro4/opt/openoffice.org3/program/swriter</Program>

That works with me at least, and I mapped the same directory for the rest of the openoffice apps listed in the menu.

Jake

rebbi2

#6 Post by rebbi2 »

Thanks, but where is that .jwmrc file to be found?

jakfish

#7 Post by jakfish »

It's a hidden file in /root. You have to use "show all files" command.

Jake

rebbi2

#8 Post by rebbi2 »

jakfish wrote:It's a hidden file in /root. You have to use "show all files" command.

Jake
Ah, thanks! I'll try it tonight.