Proper procedure to install .pet package from command

Booting, installing, newbie
berk0081

Proper procedure to install .pet package from command

#1 Post by berk0081 »

I'm setting up a Puppy-based file and print server on a VIA EPIA 800 board. (the only modern distribution that would boot on the VIA C3)

After doing a lot to convert it to a multi-user system with sshd and to operate as I need it to without a GUI, I can't find a recommended procedure for installing a .pet package from the command line.

I've figured out pet2tgz and can then extract the tar files to install application files, but is there a way to ensure that all post-install scripts also get executed or check dependencies, other than to hunt for scripts and execute them manually?

Thanks,
-m
Raising puppies since 1.04

MinHundHettePerro

#2 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Greetings! :)

I'm in the middle of something similar, searching for a way to auto-install .pets without user interception that is.

Don't know what version of puppy, or petget that you're using. My main distro is ttuuxxx's 214X-series, which is very rapidly evolving, with new versions each and every week. So, my wish is to be able to install my usual (tried-out and certified) .pets from a script, with no interaction, whatsoever, from my part, for every new version of this pup.

This is what I do:
I edit the /usr/sbin/petget-script (check the actual /usr/sbin/petget-file, even though the name 214Xx suggests it's old, many things, including the package-manager has been up-dated) by inserting the lines ending with " # MHHP"

Code: Select all

130- fi
131:[ "$2" = "DISABLEDX" ]  && DISABLEDX="yes" # MHHP
132- #expanding pet to work with rox...
--
846- </vbox>"
847: if [ ! "$DISABLEDX" = "yes" ];then # MHHP
848-  RETVAL="`echo "$DLGQ" | gtkdialog2 --stdin | grep 'EXIT:' | cut -f 2 -d ':'`"
849-  [ ! "$RETVAL" = "10" ] && exit
850:  fi # MHHP 
851- fi
(I know the petget-code is intended to be run un-attended, but it just doesn't work), then I can, automagically install the (tried-out and certified) .pets of choice, by running

Code: Select all

petget FULL-PATH/pet-name DISABLEDX
it's imperative that the FULL-PATH is the full path, and that it's preceeded by a "/".

OK, this is written, based on my experience with 214Xx, but the latest fix in this petget seems to be for 3.99.

Maybe you've found out already, I'm just happy I finally got it working for me :).
hope that is of some use/
MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

berk0081

#3 Post by berk0081 »

Thanks for your suggestion. I have a new hard disk arriving in a few days, and then I'll try to modify this for Puppy 4.0. Actually, I should probably go ahead and upgrade the whole rig to 4.12

-M
Raising puppies since 1.04

MinHundHettePerro

#4 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Hello,

installing .pets this way also means that, I think, no info about missing packages/libs are displayed on screen. I'm only doing it this way for already downloaded .pets I know all the deps of. If you'd need info on missing pkgs/libs, it is written to temporary files "missingpkgs.txt" and "missinglibs.txt", I think. Look in the petget-script. An install-script could look for the info of those files.

cheers/
MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]