Removed Xorg, broke Xvesa.

Using applications, configuring, problems
Pizzasgood

Removed Xorg, broke Xvesa.

#1 Post by Pizzasgood »

As you may or may not know, I'm stripping down Puppy to make a barebones. Yesterday, I took out Xorg, but then Xvesa stopped working.

First it yelled at me about some libraries, so I put them back:
/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6.2
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXert.so.6.4
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXi.so.6.0

FYI, I put them back from within, not by remastering, in case it has any significance.

Now when I try starting X, it fails but doesn't give me an error message. So what I'm wondering is what else I need to include to get X running. If nobody knows, I'll have to just add them all, then start removing them and see which ones don't brake it. That's not the best way to go, though, because some might not break it immediately but may be neccissary later.

Actually, I could probably look at the files from a Puppy without Xorg. I wish I would have thought of that earlier. I can't do that tonight, because it's my brother's turn on the computer in a minute.

So, I guess if you know the answer, go ahead and post. Otherwise I'll dig out an old cd tomorrow and figure it out.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

kethd

#2 Post by kethd »

I'd like to beg you to reconsider taking Xorg out of barebones. People who need FrameBuffer need it in order to be able to boot at all! (And, it seems like Barry is moving toward dropping Xvesa.)

None of my attempts to add Xorg ever worked, until 1.0.7 came along and it was built-in.

bombayrockers

#3 Post by bombayrockers »

The need for Xorg has always been there even when puppy was published Xvesa only. MU's Xorg.pup has been very popular. Now it is a standard feature of Puppy. To get a better screen resolution, avoid the eye strains and headaches due to poor refresh rates in Xvesa, and in some cases to make puppy work at all it is best that Xorg be there in empty crust.

Sage

#4 Post by Sage »

#5 Post by Guest »

Sorry,can't stand looking at 60HZ ever again.

Sage

#6 Post by Sage »

60MHz is entirely adequate on old 14/15" monitors.
This project is NOT aimed at folks with money to burn.
We are trying to save the planet by recycling and help less fortunate people.

Pizzasgood

#7 Post by Pizzasgood »

Well, I didn't have time to look at it yet, and I'm not doing it tonight. I've had a lousy night, and I spent all day doing homework, so after I read (or glance at) the 24 remaining new posts, I'm going to go do something fun. Also, tomorrow is Tuesday, my weekly essay night, so I won't be back to work 'til Wednsday.

I'm grumpy right now, so I'm not going to get into whether I should keep Xorg or not. I'll rethink about it Wednsday.

One thing to remember is that since Xorg is included, it is now an Unleashed package. That means you can install it with Pupget. So you don't need to worry about dotpups.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

kethd

#8 Post by kethd »

Hey -- they issue with 60Hz vertical refresh is that it is bad ergonomics -- not trivial, it gives people headaches -- it hurts people!

Maybe poor people do have to put up with such abuse, in the real world -- but we certainly want to do better than that if we can.

I don't care so much about making the latest equipment work perfectly. My highest priority is to make the oldest equipment work the absolutely best possible -- so that it is actually used as long as possible, instead of being trashed -- so that a minimum of new equipment is made, making even more pollution and waste...

It was evil to make CRTs with lead in the glass. But now that they exist, it is evil not to get the most use out of them possible.

#9 Post by Guest »

Totally agree. We are where we are. So that'll be the headaches, then.....

Pizzasgood

#10 Post by Pizzasgood »

Hey -- they issue with 60Hz vertical refresh is that it is bad ergonomics -- not trivial, it gives people headaches -- it hurts people!
For the standard Puppy, it is not trivial. For Empty Crust, it is. Empty Crust just has to get you to the net. From there you can upgrade if you need to.

My problem is that I've heard some people can't even run X without Xorg. That is not trivial at all. That's a big 20lb monkey wrench over the head. :(

So, unless I am persuaded otherwise, I'm going to include Xorg. Possibly as a compressed package, though. I (yet again) don't have time to work on it tonight. I choose to look at it as "at least I have time to visit the forum this time." I highly doubt I'll have work to do tomorrow, though. Thursdays are almost always free.