Penggy Puppy - Dialup program

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
mouldy

Penggy Puppy - Dialup program

#1 Post by mouldy »

After few attempts, have Penggy running on Puppy 1.0.1. Dials and connects to existing AOL/Compuserve/WalmartConnect account and surfs fine. Trick is to use guile 1.6.0 and the developement libraries for guile 1.6.0. Later versions of guile seem to insist on libc.so.6 'GLIBC_2.3.4' where Puppy has 2.3.2. Knew it would work somehow as Mepis which I got Penggy running via apt-get also only has 2.3.2 but debian versions of guile didnt work on Puppy so couldnt just copy. Oh well, just letting anybody interested know Penggy works on Puppy.

Penggy website is down and may be down for good. Still available as Mandrake rpm. Also available on Debian systems via apt-get.
Last edited by mouldy on Fri 20 May 2005, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.

JohnMurga
Site Admin

#2 Post by JohnMurga »

Hey

Do you have all the files that you could put together as a tar ?

Cheers
JohnM

mouldy

#3 Post by mouldy »

Yes I'll email you the files in tarball within couple days.

mouldy

#4 Post by mouldy »

Well, who knew, the files needed to make Penggy run on Puppy compress to size I can just upload here. Just as final test I used these files and instructions to put penggy on an old 0.9.6 hardrive install of Puppy and it worked fine. I thus extrapolate that it should work on any reasonably recent version of Puppy. I dont regularly use cd version or type 1 install of puppy and dont know off hand if you can write to some of directories under such. I just put things where they were shown to go under the guile and penggy rpms that I harvested the files from and could do so with my type 2 hardrive install of Puppy. If you change locations of files or directories, you need to make sure Penggy can find them.

sazeile

Browser Connection to Penggy

#5 Post by sazeile »

I found that I had to turn the Morizot Firewall off in order for Penggy to work.

Steve

lostdog

penggy and netscape

#6 Post by lostdog »

hi y'all,

i got the penggy4puppy file, got it installed, i think.

when i run penggy it sayas it can't find the screen name.
netscape doesn't use a screen name, and i can't bypass that part.

does penggy work on netscape? netscape is part of aol, and when i do a trace rout, it shows that i am connected to aol.

and is there a command to bypass the screen name?

thanks for your help.

lostdog :(
The truth is out there.

sazeile

#7 Post by sazeile »

In with the Penggy files is a README and an INSTALL file. The README file tells you where to put (and rename) the Penggy files. The INSTALL file tells you where to put your AOL screen name, password, and AOL access number to be dialed out. You can't dial in to AOL without a screen name and password. No free access. My understanding is that AOL is based on MS Internet Explorer not Netscape. When you get connected through Penggy and see the "IP Tunneling" message then you can open Netscape (or Mozilla, or Firefox) and browse from there.

lostdog

#8 Post by lostdog »

sorry. i wasn't clear i guess. i have netscape internet service.

it is owned by aol.
The truth is out there.

sazeile

#9 Post by sazeile »

OK, I looked at the Netscape ISP web site. It looks like they are a regular ISP. AOL is not a regular ISP. AOL has a special interface that requires users to use special software for access. Penggy is a reverse engineering of that interface for Linux users. The Netscape ISP may not require that special interface. You might try using the regular dial up capability in Puppy to see if you can access them. I expect that you will probably need to have an account already set up with Netscape with a username and password in order to connect. The software that they give out may have a temporary account that allows you to connect until you start paying. Unfortunately, that software appears to be designed to run on Windows and not Linux or Apple.

Good luck,

Steve

lostdog

#10 Post by lostdog »

yes i have netscape service, and no the dialers in linux won't do it. i tried that already. that's why i was trying penggy. think i need the dns addresses to log in, but i can't find those. i went to the online help chat and they told me that you can not log onto netscape with linux. but. where there is a will. there is a way.
The truth is out there.

sazeile

#11 Post by sazeile »

The will assign a dns when you log in.
Do you have a screen name and password?
Can you get penggy to the "IP Tunneling" message?

mouldy

#12 Post by mouldy »

Sorry, havent looked at forum in couple weeks. I think though Netscape ISP is owned by AOL, it doesnt use the AOL software. I vaguely remember somebody mentioning that you can DUN it meaning if you get correct username/password, you can connect using regular dialer software. If they dont give you the info needed, you might search around on web for some of the tools we used to use to find the hidden info on the old free isps. These tools were unfortunately designed to run on win9x. It got to be quite a game to avoid using the "required" connection software and all the ads and spyware that such connection software provided.

Ok, little google search and found this message that somebody posted on some forum back in 2003 about netscape isp:

"i managed to logon to the netscape isp using the windows dialer. however, the username has to be in the form of username@netscape.aol.com. initially, i couldn't connect to techbargains or yahoo mail, but it seems to be working now. "

No idea if such works. Only found one other mention of dunning Netscape isp. Guy said worked wonderfully but didnt say how he did it.

lostdog

#13 Post by lostdog »

I've seen posts that said they could connect to netscape, but they all refuse to say how.
The truth is out there.

mouldy

#14 Post by mouldy »

lostdog wrote:I've seen posts that said they could connect to netscape, but they all refuse to say how.
I very much doubt that Netscape uses anything more than a weird format for their username/password. At most their software does simple scramble/encoding of your given username/password. The old free isps went through this phase before getting really sophisticated or quitting buisiness and disappearing. The tool I remember is called Raspy. Install and run it, and while its running connect using the required Netscape software. It will capture what the required software sends to log on. You then use what it captures in regular dialer and you can get on without the software. I did quick search for copy of Raspy but couldnt find it. Its out there though. I probably have it on cdr or floppy somewhere but no idea where since I havent used it in years. There are other packet sniffer type software but Raspy was extremely simple and idiot proof. It just handed you what you wanted on a silver platter.

lostdog

#15 Post by lostdog »

thanks for the info. and yes i do need idiot proof. :lol: i.ll google and see if i can find raspy.

thanks again.
The truth is out there.

lostdog

#16 Post by lostdog »

i tried usename@netscape.aol.com. no joy.

haven't found raspy yet, but i will keep looking.
The truth is out there.

Yaverot

#17 Post by Yaverot »

Once the problems are figured out, taking this information and making a 'use AOL/Compuserve/etc" wiki page would be good.
There is a yellow one that won't accept the black one
That won't accept the red one that won't accept the white one
And different strokes for different folks

mouldy

#18 Post by mouldy »

Yaverot wrote:Once the problems are figured out, taking this information and making a 'use AOL/Compuserve/etc" wiki page would be good.
Penggy works fine with AOL/Compuserve/WalmartConnect. Compuserve and WalmartConnect just use a generic version of AOL software. As has been stated Netscape ISP is different though it is owned by AOL. The Netscape software is also much smaller than any AOL software. I have heard of several people connecting to Netscape ISP without the software, but nothing recent and nothing very specific other than what I already posted. If it just has weird username format or does simple username/password scramble, Raspy will show what it is. I hope whoever does this experiment posts back. I cant experiment as I dont have access to a Netscape account. Even the AOL account I used to get Penggy working under Puppy wasnt mine, just temporarily borrowed with permission when my ex was on vacation and didnt need it.

If anybody wants Raspy and absolutely cant find it, post back and I will try and look through some of my old cdr's. I am sure I have it somewhere, hopefully not on some ancient floppy that has now corrupted. Never store anything useful on a floppy longterm. Most likely wont work when you need it.

I might also mention that unlike the old free isps, you do have to have an active paid account to use Penggy, it just allows you to connect to an existing AOL account with linux system. Most people when choosing an isp can find one as cheap or cheaper than anything AOL offers and without needing to run special software to connect, just the regular dialer included with most operating systems. However AOL offers numbers in some more sparsely populated areas where there is little or no other options. Also some linux folk are younger and have to use the isp service that the rest of their family uses and makes available to them. Penggy originated in France. In Europe, AOL account did and maybe still does offer some advantages to usual European ISP. I think in Europe, many have to pay by the minute to even make local phone calls. AOL maybe offered a way around this. Somebody living in Europe could maybe explain how that works in more detail.

mouldy

#19 Post by mouldy »

Ok, help if I could spell it correctly. Its RASSPY, not RASPY. Here is one link to download it, sure there are others. http://www.geocities.com/daveinfopage/ucfras1.zip I downloaded it and looked at list of files with Puppy, seems all there. Remember its a windoze program. Howto use it instructions included in the zipped pkg. Also a google of RASSPY will find several discussions on using it.

Ok, running across all kinds of old dunning software. Here is link to NIFTY. <edit> direct download link doesnt work right. Go here: http://usuarios.lycos.es/lusifer3300/id2.htm and download NIFTY from list on page. Its just RASSPY with a GUI.

Ok, Dialguard 1.0 and Dialguard 1.8.7 also should work and maybe even easier to use (maybe try Dialguard first before RASSPY). 1.8.7 seems impossible to find. 1.0 has been released by author under GNU license. Here is a download link I found: http://www.stormloader.com/dialguard/ here is another: <edit> direct download link doesnt work. Go here: http://usuarios.lycos.es/lusifer3300/id2.htm and download dialguard 1.0 from list on page. Here is post by somebody on ubuntu forum about his ISP (PeoplePC) which also requires software:

"well, back in the fall and summer I was asking on here about getting my
dial up to work in ubuntu, today it finally worked. I was using suse
for awhile, just to get the feel of it and then it just came to me when
searching google.com/linux. My ISP (peoplepc) scrambles my 6 digit
password into a 25 digit one, how was I supposed to know that!?! Well,
then I had the problem of having a winmodem. This was a problem, but
then I went downstairs and found an old 56K external modem, that was a
real modem! Wow, I was lucky. So, I used my 25 digit password and the
real modem and everything was perfect. If anybody needs the program
that I used to find my real username and password I will be more than
happy to send it to you in email. I think it was called dialguard 1.0,
and you have to run it in windows to find out what you need. Well,
after many months my dial up problems are gone!"

Explains sort of thing I think is happening with Netscape.

lostdog

#20 Post by lostdog »

I found Dial Gaurd 2.2.5. It's for windoze, but I have it if anyone wnats it.

Dial gaurd doesn't show anything out of the ordinary when I dial in, so I guess it isn't the one to use. It does pop up and tell you who the dialer is trying to connect to, and the number, user name, and password it is using.

the original was writen because of unscupulous isp's putting another dialer program on your computer that would make long distance calls, and incur HUGE phone charges.

found rasspy, got it started, and it didn't show anything encrypted. just the standard login info, of username and password.

it must be sometning else that netscape isp does that stops linux from connecting, or it is something that i am not doing to configure the dialer correctly. i think i have tried everything. matbe some config file that needs to be edited or something.

i guess i'll give up on linux and go back to windows.
The truth is out there.