Navit: a car navigation system with routing engine.

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
muggins

Navit: a car navigation system with routing engine.

#1 Post by muggins »

http://www.navit-project.org/
Navit is a car navigation system with routing engine.

It's modular design is capable of using vector maps of various formats for routing and rendering of the displayed map. It's even possible to use multiple maps at a time.

The GTK+ or SDL user interfaces are designed to work well with touch screen displays. Points of Interest of various formats are displayed on the map.

The current vehicle position is either read from gpsd or directly from NMEA GPS sensors.

The routing engine not only calculates an optimal route to your destination, but also generates directions and even speaks to you using speechd.

Navit currently speaks 24 languages :
- Brazilian Portuguese
- Chinese (Hong Kong)
- Czech
- Danish
- Dutch
- English
- Finnish
- French
- German
- Hebrew
- Italian
- Japanese
- Norwegian Bokmal
- Polish
- Portuguese
- Romanian
- Russian
- Slovak
- Slovenian
- Spanish
- Swedish
- Telugu
- Thai
- Turkish
I've compiled this, from svn download, with gpsd & speechd support, & uploaded it here(4025kbytes): navit-0.2.0.pet, or from here.

It also needs:

gpsd-2.95-i486.pet, or from here. (Please run gpsd --help to see options.)
speech-dispatcher-0.7.1-i486.pet, or from here.

Speech-dispatcher, in turn, needs:

dotconf-1.0.13-i486.pet, or from here.
espeak-1.45.02.pet
portaudio-v19-i486.pet

Run via Menu>Utility>Navit
Attachments
navit.jpg
(34.49 KiB) Downloaded 5751 times
Last edited by muggins on Sun 20 Mar 2011, 07:13, edited 7 times in total.

GeePS

navit 2 pet file

#2 Post by GeePS »

Muggins,

This is very helpful, but I still have a few steps to complete. I have become rather adept now at locating and downloading library files that I need, and when I used your .pet file, while I got an successful install message, this time I also got a list of missing dependencies that the Petget package manager does not know how to locate.

For me they are: (It would be nice to be able to cut and paste out of the package manager message window, but no luck there!)

gpsd.so is missing libgps.so.17
libraphics_qt_qpainter.so is mssing libQtCore.so.4
libgraphics_sdl.so is missing libSDL-1.2.so.0 libSDL_image-1.2.so.0
libspeech_speech_dispatcher.so is missing libspeechd.so.2

So once I find and copy these files, I should be in business!

I will keep you posted.
Thanks

muggins

#3 Post by muggins »

Actually I've recompiled it so it doesn't need python, gpsd, SDL & QT. Use the package manager to uninstall, then try the version I've just uploaded. I've left in libspeechd though.

Let me know whether this works.

GeePS

navit - next

#4 Post by GeePS »

Navit is working! Now I have to figure out the config file. I still get the list of missing files in the dependencies, and the GPS device I plug in lights up, but there doesn't seem to be any way to control the GPS device from within Navit, so I am off to see what I need to do to get a default location in the United States and how to connect a delorme earthmate LT-40.

Thanks.

GeePS

New Navit compile

#5 Post by GeePS »

I got the basics working without your new compile. I went to get it, and the original link no longer works. Did you change the name of the file? I would like to download the newer version but can't get to it.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

The current vehicle position is either read from gpsd or directly from NMEA GPS sensors.
What sensors? Where can I get them? How do they connect to the computer? :)

GeePS

sensors

#7 Post by GeePS »

Flash,

You can buy several models of GPS sensor that connect via USB. I have a DeLorme LT-40, but another good one that is even cheaper is the globalsat BU-353 gps. You can get one for under $40 at
http://www.buygpsnow.com/bu-353-353-bu- ... s-455.aspx

Any that are NMEA compliant should work, but I haven't tried any yet, just going off of what I have read.

muggins

#8 Post by muggins »

GeePS,

try it now.

GeePS

Navit compiled

#9 Post by GeePS »

Muggins,

I was able to find and install the i486 version you compiled. This seems to work. I am now wrestling with gpsd and with the .bin map formats to get some map files loaded that will allow me to use the software. Based on my progress so far, this may take me a while.

Thanks for all your help.

GeePS

gpsd & Navit

#10 Post by GeePS »

I have a new problem. I was successful in finding a few locations to load map data for Michigan, which is where I live. I was able to get the maps included in the xml config file, they show up in the program, and I can select them, but the screen now is just a blank yellow background. I thought I had either not loaded the maps correctly or broke something, but after some reading it appears that the software is looking for a location in order to orient on the map. So I went to get gpsd working, which is the component that allows all gps devices to be accessed by applications.

Here is my dilemma: puppy is apparently built off of a small subset of the clibrary that a full debian installation is composed of. I reached that conclusion because I noticed I am missing some files that are required for gpsd to work, and the library package that will install them, libc6_2.9-23_amd64.deb says when I use the debian installer that it will overwrite several files (the ones it is over writing are not the ones I am missing obviously). I trashed my system once over writing on a package install, so I tried just installing the other ones that I was missing, but I still could not get it to work, so I did install it and my system promptly stopped working. Since it didn't save, a hard reboot restored me back to where I was, but how do I go about getting the files I need? Do I have to unpack a package and move them individually? Is there an easier (lazier) way? Maybe some of the files are not really necessary?

The message I get when I run gpsd now is:

line 41: start-stop-daemon: command not found
In the hope that I am missing just this one utility, I am not in the process of trying to download & install it. If this is the wrong direction, let me know!

Any thoughts? Thanks.

muggins

#11 Post by muggins »

Did you re-compile Navit to use gpsd, as the one I posted above isn't linked to gpsd. It's a simple matter to recompile it to use gpsd...but, not having any gps devices, it's difficult for me to ascertain whether it's working properly. Have you looked at the gpsd man page? Also, have you thought of querying the developers of Navit with the propblems you're experiencing? Most developers are very helpful, and eager for any feedback etc.

DavidM348

GlobalSat ND-100 USB Stick GPS

#12 Post by DavidM348 »

Hi all! Really nice forum - thanks for all the helpful info.

I just got a usb GPS stick for $40 off of ebay. I have an eeePC with puppy on it and I downloaded muggins' Navit it compile along with the other speech thing. I haven't dug through the Navit config file yet, but wanted to make sure of something before I go on:

With muggins .pet compile of Navit, I do not need to download/compile gpsd, correct?

Just preliminary testing, GPS does work on a Win xp laptop, and Navit runs on the puppy laptop, but no data transferred from the GPS. GPS has aquired position per the status leds, but position is listed as 0's. I am sure if I dig into the documentation of the config file, the answer is there.

Thanks muggins for the .pet package!

GeePS

Navit pet package

#13 Post by GeePS »

DavidM348,

Muggins can confirm, but I believe his compile is done without GPSD, as he doesn't have a GPS device. In order to get Navit to work with a GPS, you will need to have a Navit compile that looks for GPSD. I am working on that now, but haven't succeeded yet. When I do, I will put something here.

When you get to the Navit config file, at the top it has a couple options for screen layout, including the ability to use a touch screen (another goal of mine, but a ways off yet), and other settings.

If you go about 340 lines down into the file you will find the place where the map images are made available. The wiki for Navit has good instructions on getting map files, and you can basically copy the format of the lines you see for the example map, then copy the xml file with the same name as the .bin file in the maps directory, and rename it to match your map .bin file (change the contents accordingly as well.)

You will then see your maps along with the example ones listed in the Navit menu, where you can select to include them.

muggins

#14 Post by muggins »

GeePS & DavidM348,

ve recompiled the Navit to include Gpsd & speechdispatcher
libraries, and emailed to you both. I must confess to
being a bit bamboozled as to what the app really needs to get
going...probably because I have no GPS device! Could you see whether this actually works. If it does I'll replace the
one on the puppy site. When I run navit from the commandline it reports:

# navit
navit:convert_to_attrs:failed to create attribute 'cursor' with value
'1'
vehicle_gpsd:vehicle_gpsd_try_open:gps_open failed for
'gpsd://localhost'. Retrying in 10 seconds. Have you started gpsd?
map_rect_new_textfile unable to open textfile
/root/.navit/destination.txt
map_rect_new_textfile unable to open textfile /root/.navit/bookmark.txt
navit:main:Using '/usr/share/navit/navit.xml'

I don't know about the line about "Have you started gpsd?". There must be some configuration option, or maybe start gpsd in the background?

Also the attached speechd .pet is compiled with support for espeak.
Again no idea whether it works or not.

The speechdispatcher .pet also needs the attached dotconf .pet.

cheers
muggins

GeePS

Navit compile

#15 Post by GeePS »

Muggins,

As you had suggested earlier, I tried to get in contact with someone involved with the Navit project. I created a xchat ID and connected with CP15, who provided me with some specific directions to compile a tarball. Because I had already tried the SVN download and configure path, he told me I needed to delete the Navit directory in my root before using the tarball method. I can't delete it! I get an input output error, and when I look at dmesg, I see several attempt to access beyond end of device. I downloaded and used fsck on the unmounted drive, which said it corrected several errors, but I still can't get rid of the navit directory. I will check my email and try your most recent compile, but I would like to know how to do the compile myself, however if I can't get rid of the navit directory, I can't proceed. I tried renaming it and burying it in another folder, but those options won't work either. Any ideas?

Thanks for all your work on the navit compile. If it works, I will definitely let you know.

muggins

#16 Post by muggins »

I've edited the first post, and re-uploaded navit, gpsd & speech-dispatcher.

DavidM348

Muggins New Navit Compile

#17 Post by DavidM348 »

Muggins,

Thanks for taking the time to do all of this! I got the pet's loaded (still needed a libray file for espeak, but found it after a google search). After a little playing with gpsd (mainly just learning how to use it and test it), launched Navit with GPS support! I am currently downloading OpenStreetMaps, US region (its kinda BIG), to use with Navit. Haven't tested speech yet, but I'll update you on how it goes.

Thanks again for all of your help!

-David

muggins

#18 Post by muggins »

David,

just curious what the missing library for espeak was?

DavidM348

Navit

#19 Post by DavidM348 »

Sorry, was my fault. I missed the portaudio .pet you had posted on the first note of this thread. The library I was missing something like libportaudio.so.2, which was in that .pet package. Every thing needed for Navit is on that first page.

My osm map of Louisiana looks good in Navit. I still haven't tried out the speech yet, but will let you know. BTW, this ND-100 really is nice. I get satelite fix inside the house (near a window). I may take on the road tonight to check it out some more.

Thanks!

-David

GeePS

Navit trials, part 943.2

#20 Post by GeePS »

Muggins and DavidM348,

I was out camping with the family for a week, so took a break from the computers for a bit.. ;) Thought I would update you on what has transpired on my end.

Thanks Muggins for emailing the instructions on how to correctly back up and save folders. I had been taking advantage of the auto save and the save.sfs file layers to create backup USB sticks of my working system (the machine I am working on has no hard drive - running off a flash stick). Your instructions will make things much easier for me. I was able to use GPSD with your new compile, and was able to start it in debug. I was also able to find some instructions on how to test the gps device using gpsd, and discovered that the device I have can't be made to work. It is a newer model of the one that was on the approved list, so I am now selling it on ebay and getting the same stick the DavidM348 has.
I also have Michigan map working, and am playing with some of the other controls, but won't be able to test it on the road until I get the new GPS stick - $32 - can't believe this kind of technology sells for these prices!

Thanks again for all the assistance.