How I do fonts in Puppy

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Bosola

.pet package

#41 Post by Bosola »

Well, this is my first time posting, and I've only been using Puppy - or, indeed, any version of Linux - for a couple of days now.

Anyway, I'm using Boxpuppy, the Puplet that's integrated with OpenBox. Now, maybe I'm making some terribly newbish mistake here, but I've tried to use the .pet package, and initiating it simply causes my system to go dead. Just black and crash.

Can anyone help? Is this expected behaviour?

Sit Heel Speak

Re: .pet package

#42 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Bosola wrote:...I'm using Boxpuppy,...I've tried to use the .pet package, and initiating it simply causes my system to go dead. Just black and crash...Is this expected behaviour?
No, it is not expected behavior. You should just have to single-left-click on the PET package, it should take a minute or less to install, and there should be no problem.

There is more than one version of BoxPup and it is possible that the retro version with kernel 2.6.21.7 may not be compatible, my hunch is that the version of freetype in the PET package may be too new for that old of a kernel (and other libraries). If you will tell me which version of BoxPup you are using, I will download and install it and see what's going on.

Bosola

#43 Post by Bosola »

I'm using Boxpup 4.1.2. I downloaded the .iso from here only two days ago.

Sit Heel Speak

#44 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Bosola wrote:I'm using Boxpup 4.1.2. I downloaded the .iso from here only two days ago.
Try the version I have just posted here

trio

#45 Post by trio »

Hi Sit Heel Speak,

I need help, maybe off topic, but it's about fonts.

I need to have a list of fonts' REAL NAMES not the name of the .ttf files. Can you tell me how to get this done?

say I save it as /tmp/fontslist.txt:
monofonto
ionic charge
pdingobats
Dejavu Sans

Thanks in advance

Sit Heel Speak

#46 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

trio wrote:I need to have a list of fonts' REAL NAMES not the name of the .ttf files. Can you tell me how to get this done?
Sorry, no, not in Linux. I would speculate, code to map from .ttf name to real name exists...in either libxft or libfreetype --but exactly where, or how to exploit, so far I don't have that skill.

So far, when I want to see the real name, I copy the .ttf over to a Windows machine and use Bitstream Font Navigator from Corel Draw 8 to see it.

What distro are those fonts in?

trio

#47 Post by trio »

Sit Heel Speak wrote:
trio wrote:I need to have a list of fonts' REAL NAMES not the name of the .ttf files. Can you tell me how to get this done?
Sorry, no, not in Linux. I would speculate, code to map from .ttf name to real name exists...in either libxft or libfreetype --but exactly where, or how to exploit, so far I don't have that skill.

So far, when I want to see the real name, I copy the .ttf over to a Windows machine and use Bitstream Font Navigator from Corel Draw 8 to see it.

What distro are those fonts in?
I got it, command #fc-list

Thanks anyway

James186282

#48 Post by James186282 »

I was wondering what steps I would need to take to allow me to take some simple monospaced font, edit a few minor things (Slashed Zeros, I and 1 with more distinct differences Letter J with hats etc. All I would use this for is editing code. I played around with a font editing program "fontforge" which overwhelmed me after I changed the bitmaps. *Hinting splines etc. Maybe thats the only way to make a font work? I worked with some guys on the original Antialiasing in the early 80s but.... I don't need to have a recognizable alphabet in 2 x 2 (It IS possible btw)

Most important - Thank you very much for spelling out improving Fonts. I really enjoy seeing whats going on under the hood. pet files are great. Don't get me wrong I just like to see what the "OZ" is really doing behind the curtain. If I can add that to anyone who is reading this. Wizards are also nice. Much of the time I don't have any serious interest in how things work. I'm happy to click and await the greatness. I do think it would be a terrific plus to make a short (as possible) description of what just happened when you install a pet.

Pet copys a batch script named zarfme to /root/applications/bin and changes the path in /etc/zarf5.rc to include /root/applications/zarf
or whatever. I am a bit of an insane perfectionist about comments in code and while there are often ways to find out how something works by surfing the web I find it more pleasing to list the program and see how it works. Someday I'll have to list my menu.lst file (To boot my machine) for everyone to say "He IS insane" I think mine is up to 25k. My jwm files are getting equally huge with my comments as I try to understand what everything does.

Not everyone can change the engine in her car but a lot of people can swap the horn or put in a bigger battery. This thread is great because your the guy who CAN replace his (font) engine and its very nice that you share the info!
Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer.
Art is everything else we do.
[i]Donald Knuth [/i]