Wireless on Asus Eee PC 900HA

HylianSavior

Wireless on Asus Eee PC 900HA

#1 Post by HylianSavior »

I have an Asus Eee PC 900HA, and I'm having trouble getting the wireless to work.

The wifi chip in the 900HA is Atheros AR5007EG. I used the driver found here to try to get it to work. I turned wlan off in BIOS before installing, and then turned it back on later.

When I open network wizard, the driver does not appear on the modules list. Should I enter the driver name manually?

Thanks for the help,

-Hylian

tempestuous

#2 Post by tempestuous »

HylianSavior wrote:When I open network wizard, the driver does not appear on the modules list.
Which driver are you referring to? It's called ath_pci
Puppy should automatically load it.

And let's make double-sure: you're using Puppy 4.1.x or 4.2.x right? Not 4.1.x-retro or 4.2.x-retro?

HylianSavior

#3 Post by HylianSavior »

tempestuous wrote:
HylianSavior wrote:When I open network wizard, the driver does not appear on the modules list.
Which driver are you referring to? It's called ath_pci
Puppy should automatically load it.

And let's make double-sure: you're using Puppy 4.1.x or 4.2.x right? Not 4.1.x-retro or 4.2.x-retro?
Well, it's already loaded, but I don't see the card in the interfaces list.

Tanuvan

#4 Post by Tanuvan »

I am having the same problem as well.

tempestuous

#5 Post by tempestuous »

It's time for you both to reveal the exact version of Puppy you are using.

Tanuvan

#6 Post by Tanuvan »

I believe it is the most current.

puppy-4.2.1-k2.6.25.16-seamonkey.iso

I tried using ndiswrapper with the eeepc windows wlan drivers (net5211.inf), and it still did not recognize a new interface.

HylianSavior

#7 Post by HylianSavior »

Tanuvan wrote:I believe it is the most current.

puppy-4.2.1-k2.6.25.16-seamonkey.iso

I tried using ndiswrapper with the eeepc windows wlan drivers (net5211.inf), and it still did not recognize a new interface.

Hmm, I believe I'm using 4.2.0, but I might be wrong. It should be the latest though, seeing I used unetbootin to download it.

tempestuous

#8 Post by tempestuous »

Well ASUS has been known to change wifi chipset within the same model number, so I think we need to positively identify which particular wifi device you actually have. Please run this command -

Code: Select all

lspci -n
And post your results.
You can highlight the console text, then paste this text by pressing the left and right mouse buttons simultaneously.

IncTink

Wireless on Asus Eee Pc 900HA

#9 Post by IncTink »

This is my first post as a newbie.

I hope it is of some help to people trying to get the Atheros AR 5007EG wifi chip to work in Puppy as I have been successful with both Puppy version 4.1.2 (as used in the current version of Browser Puppy) and Puppy version 4.2.1. I have not tried other versions at this stage.

The essential steps are:

1. Install the driver developed by Tempestuous -madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r4031-k2.6.25.16.pet which is available at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=34159. Once I have done this on my Eee 1000HA the Puppy Network Wizard will identify both Eth0 and Ath0 interfaces.

2. Use the Wizard to test and scan the Ath0 interface until you are told that it has been successful. You will need to pay particular attention to match the security settings to those of your wifi router. In my case the mode is Managed, the security is Restricted and the Encryption is WEP2. With these settings an extra box is provided for the Shared Key to be entered (ie the password used to connect to the wireless LAN)

3. When this has been done successfully a Blinky icon will light up in the taskbar at the bottom of the screen showing that data is being transmitted. However if you right-click on the Blinky you will find that it is not Ath0 but wifi0. What is needed is a second Blinky for Ath0.

4. To achieve this you need to go through the above process to create and save a second successful profile (without overriding or deleting the first one). When you have two Blinky icons showing active connections (i.e. each icon showing a pair of active computers - 4computer pictures in all at the bottom of the screen) you will find you have internet access via your browser.

I don't know why this works, I am simply a dogged user (Lobster used the term "incessant tinkerer" which appealed to me). I hope it works for others. Incidentally, I found no need to switch off any of the BIOS settings.

Good luck :wink:

chopstick

#10 Post by chopstick »

This being my first post here, I can give an positive sound on getting my wifi working on my eeepc 900.
I used the latest puppeee (4.3??), and installed it on a SD-card by copiyng and using unetbootin.
Wifi worked almost out of the box, at least after I figured out how to use the wizard and making a profile. and adding this to a network.
Thank to everybody working on this project.