Choicepup-4.1.2minV2-k2.6.25.16.iso uploaded

News, happenings
jrb

Choicepup-4.1.2minV2-k2.6.25.16.iso uploaded

#1 Post by jrb »

I have uploaded choicepup-4.1.2minV2-k2.6.25.16.iso. There is also a backup here. :D

MinV2 can:
1) load and unload .sfs files by right clicking on them.
2) load an entire folder of .sfs's, all at the same time from the right click menu or seaside"s GUI on the Utility menu.
3) Keep track of which .sfs's are loaded in /root/my_links/loaded_sfs (on the desktop) so you can unload them easily when done with them (except with Barry's bootmanager)
4) Has improved fonts and local file performance with htmlviewer Netsurf
5) If you are using frugal or usb it will load .sfs's at boot with no pup_save. Just place your chosen .sfs files in /sfs_boot_files/ on the drive where your puppy files are and they will be loaded at boot with or without a pup_save

Just a reminder, MinV2 is a barebones puppy. Most of the ch-.sfs files will run in ChoicePup-minimal without loading dependencies, there are exceptions however. Most dependencies are contained in ch-min-boost.sfs. Unless you are severly ram (computer memory) challenged you should load this package.

Enjoy, J

puppyiso

#2 Post by puppyiso »

My computer has 400 something MB RAM. Is it challenged in memory?

If I cannot use all the sfses, how much or how many sfses can I use?

I will try yours right after the new Hacao 2009 CE(CE?).

jrb

#3 Post by jrb »

Hi puppyiso,
IMO memory challenged would be less than 128MB. 400MB is lots in terms of puppy. I have run ChoicePup with 64MB on a pentiumll and all of the sfs packages I tried worked, although I only loaded one at a time and some, like OpenOffice, were rather slooooow!

I only included the note about using ch-min-boost.sfs so people will know to try loading the boost package before asking "Why doesn't this package work?"

Cheers, J

Artie

#4 Post by Artie »

I have installed Choicepup-4.1.2minV2-k2.6.25.16 onto a Kingston 16GB DataTraveler memory stick. I am trying to install the ch-min-boost.sfs but when I download with NetSurf all I get is a window full of weird symbols. What do I do? I have noticed that gftp is here maybe you could give the configurations in gftp so I can use this program to download .sfs files? Thanks!

Artie

Caneri

#5 Post by Caneri »

Hi Artie,jrb,

Sorry about the error...we are doing some tests and the mime types were not set properly on the new server.
This is fixed now..I hope.

@Artie,
When you see the garbled symbols just use the "right click and save to" method.

Sorry,
Eric

EDIT: you can get it from here also
http://puppylinux.asia/members/choicepu ... -boost.sfs
user=puppy password=linux
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

Artie

#6 Post by Artie »

Hi caneri still got weird symbols when trying to download from the link in the main choicepup thread. In NetSurf I can't find any "right click and save to". Your last link worked fine! Thanks! :)

Artie
Last edited by Artie on Thu 23 Jul 2009, 15:03, edited 2 times in total.

Caneri

#7 Post by Caneri »

Hi Artie,

The link on .asia should work as it has not been altered.

I'll pm you with a temp ftp login..Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

Caneri

#8 Post by Caneri »

Hi Artie,

Would you be so kind to test this link with Netsurf as I don't use that browser.
http://puppylinux.ca/members/choicepup/ ... -boost.sfs

Thanks,
Eric
Chinese Proverb[/color]

Artie

#9 Post by Artie »

Hi Caneri the link now works fine. I have also downloaded a few other files and put them in the loaded_sfs folder. The files in my loaded_sfs folder are:

ch-min-boost-sfs
ch-geany-0.16.sfs
ch-min-flash10-070208.sfs
ch-Opera10-4440.sfs

Geany works fine. It's in menu -> document and the edit icon opens Geany.

However, I can't find Opera anywhere. No menu entry or icon. I'll keep my setup unchanged until this is resolved.

Artie

jrb

#10 Post by jrb »

Artie wrote: I have also downloaded a few other files and put them in the loaded_sfs folder
Hi Artie,
You should move those files to the sfs_boot_files folder if you want them to load at bootup. You can, of course, right click on any of the sfs files or their symlinks and load them that way.

The loaded_sfs folder will contain symlinks to any files that have already been loaded. It is primarily a place where you can easily unload files.

Hope that helps, J

tlchost

Re: Choicepup-4.1.2minV2-k2.6.25.16.iso uploaded

#11 Post by tlchost »

jrb wrote:I have uploaded choicepup-4.1.2minV2-k2.6.25.16.iso
Most dependencies are contained in ch-min-boost.sfs.
FYI, I noticed that on my system(s)(Which may forever be known as 'The Hardware from Hell'), the standalone cups and the printer def .sfs files don't allow me to print with my USB connected HP Laserjet1012, and/or the pdf writer.

I found an old cups-install-v0.3 pup that is cups v1.1.x that does work.

With either the cups sfs or the pup, I can't bring up CUPS from the setup menu....the netbrowser says it can't find the url...trying localhost:631 once I've loaded in Firefox does work.

Thom

jrb

#12 Post by jrb »

tlchost wrote:With either the cups sfs or the pup, I can't bring up CUPS from the setup menu
Thanks for catching that Thom,
That is indeed a bug. When I rewrote defaulthtmlviewer to get netsurf to open local files I messed up its ability to open URL's. Back to the drawing board.

I'll have a patch worked up sometime today.

Glad to hear you found a cups package that works for you. I assume it uses localhost:631 as well.

Cheers, J

jrb

#13 Post by jrb »

Here's choicepup-minV2_cups_patch.pet which I have briefly tested in standard and retro version of minV2. Seems to work well.

Let me know if there are any more problems, J

Artie

#14 Post by Artie »

I have tried everything I can think of but there's no Opera. Geany installs fine.
Desktop->my_links/sfs/geany gives is already mounted and in-use opera .sfs gives failed mounting or unmounting. Tried dowloading the opera .sfs file several times no change.

Artie

jrb

#15 Post by jrb »

Artie,
Try this one ch-opera10-4478.sfs. Maybe the 4440 you've been downloading is bad.

Artie

#16 Post by Artie »

jrb I'm happy to report that your 4478 version appears to work fine. You might consider removing the older opera .sfs file for the time being. Keep up the good work refining choicepup.

Artie

ecomoney

#17 Post by ecomoney »

jrb, Im working on netbooting at a cybercafe. Apparently its possible on puppy to mount SFS files over NFS (network files system). This would allow me to netboot a standard/cutdown puppy and load large Apps like (openoffice) from the computer with the netboot (tftp) server.

A little documentation on how you achieved on-the-fly sfs loading would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

jrb

#18 Post by jrb »

ecomoney wrote:A little documentation on how you achieved on-the-fly sfs loading
I'll be happy to share, give me a couple of days to get it organized however. There were a few major items and then numerous little patches.
Im working on netbooting at a cybercafe
I have put together a humongous initrd.gz version of ChoicePup and booted it over my network both from a windows server and puppy. Works well but I haven't figured out how to create or use a pup_save. When I shut down it doesn't even ask if I want to save.

I can mount sfs files if I have them on usb or harddrive on the client.

Will put something together soon,

Cheers, J

Artie

#19 Post by Artie »

Hi JRB would it be possible to get an .sfs for:

1. Mozilla Firefox 3.5.2
2. SeaMonkey 2.0b1

Thanks.

Artie

jrb

#20 Post by jrb »

Artie,
I have uploaded ch-firefox-3.5.2.sfs, ch-Opera10-4529.sfs, and ch-seamonkey-2.0b1.sfs.

They all seem to work well. Using ch-Opera10-4529.sfs right now.

Enjoy, J