Why won't my dotpet work? (solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
Sit Heel Speak

Why won't my dotpet work? (solved)

#1 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Will someone please take a look at the attached dotpet and tell me what I'm doing wrong. The intent of the dotpet is to install the Luxi font set. But all that is happening when I click the dotpet in Rox is, I get the Install/Abort initial dotpet welcome message. Clicking "Install" makes the dialog box disappear. Then, nothing. Examination reveals that the dotpet is copied into /root/.packages, and that's all. This is in official Puppy 4.00-k2.6.21.7. Thanks...

***edited to remove dangerous attachment using underscores in name, see gposil's message below***
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Wed 05 Aug 2009, 05:56, edited 3 times in total.

Sit Heel Speak

#2 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Well!...the mystery deepens. I just tried installing this dotpet on Puppy 4.2 (maggotspawn's RT-SMP kernel) and it works just fine.

I guess I must have somehow wrecked PETget on my 4.00 installation?

trio

#3 Post by trio »

Not sure, Maybe puninstall.sh is the cause? Try to pack the pet without puninstall.sh

Sit Heel Speak

#4 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

On the non-working 4.00 install, running petget in an rxvt window gives:

Code: Select all

# petget
RETVAL=10
/usr/sbin/petget: line 1257:  9277 Terminated              yaf-splash -font "8x16" -outline 0 -margin 4 -bg orange -text "PETget package manager
Processing, please wait..."
# 
On the working 4.20 install, I see..

Code: Select all

# petget
RETVAL=19
and the dotpet shows up in the installed dotpets list, just fine.

I guess I must have borked petget somehow, in the 4.00 install.

@trio, did it install OK for you?

I don't see where omitting puninstall.sh would have any effect. All that puninstall.sh does is refresh the font cache. I want it to refresh the font cache, on the understanding that uninstalling will remove the Luxi fonts.
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Wed 22 Jul 2009, 08:25, edited 1 time in total.

Sit Heel Speak

#5 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Hmm. Well, can anyone see anything obviously wrong with this one...? *warning* this dotpet is not uninstallable...
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Wed 22 Jul 2009, 08:38, edited 1 time in total.

gposil

#6 Post by gposil »

I have struck this problem before and I fixed it simply by replacing underscores in the filename with dashes...

And yes the spongedaddy one works for me...
[img]http://gposil.netne.net/images/tlp80.gif[/img] [url=http://www.dpup.org][b]Dpup Home[/b][/url]

Sit Heel Speak

#7 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

gposil wrote:I have struck this problem before and I fixed it simply by replacing underscores in the filename with dashes...

And yes the spongedaddy one works for me...
Thanks for the tip on underscores. I'll avoid them in future.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#8 Post by BarryK »

Note that the Woof-built puppies, and that includes 4.3pre-beta, have a Puppy Package Manager that is a complete rewrite. The code is totally different to that in pup 4.21 and earlier.

Underscores are no problem.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

aarf

#9 Post by aarf »

if a download pet is located too many directories down/away from /root sometimes it will fail to install properly when you click it.

Sit Heel Speak

#10 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Acknowleged, thanks.