Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 28 Jul 2014, 06:28
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Classic Pup 2.14X -- Updated 2 series
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 62 of 333 [4987 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, ..., 331, 332, 333 Next

What is the best Puppy Version ever, LOL
2.14x
24%
 24%  [ 8 ]
2.14x
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
2.14x
30%
 30%  [ 10 ]
Other: 2.14x only
33%
 33%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 33

Aitch

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jul 2009, 17:04    Post subject:  

Yes, but will it start the lawnmower? Wink

Aitch Smile
clarf

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jul 2009, 20:05    Post subject: Re: mplayer  

ttuuxxx wrote:

I'm compiling mplayer right now, Barry has had issues with compiling mplayer about 2 months back and so he reverted back to gxine, I've also compiled Mplayer in the past successfully and also I've stripped my VLC 8.6h and made a commandline version about 4 months before technosaurus released his version, he's always a few months behind me ,lol, Also I've compiled gmplayer for upup back a few months back and really liked the gui, I'll see how many more libs would be needed to get it running on this version Smile
ttuuxxx

Hi ttuuxxx. gmplayer GUI is OK and have all basic functions.

Mplayer works really good in 2.14x, I even could use it with SMPlayer and other front ends without problems. There are few libs needed see this post:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=43984

I don`t want to bother you, but could you please compile it to support AMD processors and try it in 2.14x, too bad I`m working outside home this week and can`t help you now...
nubc

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jul 2009, 20:30    Post subject:  

I am favorably impressed with Puppy 2.14X version 5. I wonder why you chose to upgrade 2.14 instead of 2.17. What is the actual difference between 2.14 and 2.17? Do both support modems to the same extent? I notice that PupDial is not included in 2.14X.

Thanks for this version. If I dont have a need for wireless, I will use this retro Puppy 2.14X. Nice work, ttuuxxx. By the way, it doesnt really bother me if the iso gets up to 150 MB in size.
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jul 2009, 21:19    Post subject:  

nubc wrote:
I am favorably impressed with Puppy 2.14X version 5. I wonder why you chose to upgrade 2.14 instead of 2.17. What is the actual difference between 2.14 and 2.17? Do both support modems to the same extent? I notice that PupDial is not included in 2.14X.

Thanks for this version. If I dont have a need for wireless, I will use this retro Puppy 2.14X. Nice work, ttuuxxx. By the way, it doesn't really bother me if the iso gets up to 150 MB in size.

The reason why I chosen 2.14.1R as a base is that it was updated after 2.17 was released with extra video/modem drivers and it ran better for older computers due to the older kernel, It also ran better with newer computers like the ones I use, I didn't like that they messed up xorg driver and xdg menus, but that been fixed now, I would of had to upgrade about 100% the same in 2.17, well other than xorg/xdg.
Wireless should work with it also, there are like 2 pages of updated wireless drivers for this kernel. If you have a modem that isn't support by the 2 or so pages, then tell me the make and model and I'll see about compiling the driver. Once I'm finished with the main version, I'll quickly build a larger release with a few extra apps.
ttuuxxx

raffy

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jul 2009, 21:31    Post subject: tempestuous  

Tempestuous has gathered/updated additional drivers for this build. It is easy to find it - it is usually labelled "extra drivers".
Aitch

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jul 2009, 08:40    Post subject:  

Hi ttuuxxx

I'm still reasonably happily using 214x3, as you work so fast I figured I'd let the dust settle before rushing to try the latest

One query though....Why does this version autoconfigure US keyboard?
It's not difficult to change to a UK one, but why remove the option?

PS - Does it start the lawnmower yet? You didn't comment Wink Laughing

Aitch Smile
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jul 2009, 08:42    Post subject:  

Haven't had much time to work on it for the past 2 days, I've been finishing the 5th bedroom for my wife's 40th birthday, She wanted it done for the party on Saturday. I started building about 6yrs ago, lol. I love starting project but always hate finishing them, lol
I'll be done the bedroom in about 2-3 days. Basically it was a open dinning room, So I moved/extended the electrical, moved the doorway to kitchen, it was a a diagonal entrance, to a straight entrance, Built a steel framed wall, insulated it, added networking to the rumpus room, made a large walking wardrobe with built in angled shelves, Did the drywall,trim and tomorrow I'll sand/prime it all and paint it the next 2 days, because I also have to paint the living room.

Probably better to package up what I have and release it, that way It will give you guys some testing time Smile
ttuuxxx

ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jul 2009, 08:44    Post subject:  

Aitch wrote:
Hi ttuuxxx

PS - Does it start the lawnmower yet? You didn't comment Wink Laughing

Aitch Smile

Hi Aitch still waiting for lawn mower fuel tank and carb to come in the mail, should be here by Friday Smile
Better be or I'll have to borrow the neighbors lawn mower, my grass is reallllly high now.
ttuuxxx

playdayz

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jul 2009, 17:11    Post subject: Puppy 2.14X5 Virtual Machine
Subject description: Runs in free VMWare Player

I should have put this here to begin with I guess. The basic news is that ttuuxxx's Puppy 2.14X5 is the only Puppy I have found that will compile *all* of the modules for VMWare as well as running the vmware video and vmmouse drivers. Therefore, I prepared a virtual machine with Puppy 2.14X5 that is small, fast, and runs nicely in the free VMWare Player.

vmPuppy 2.14RX5 is an installation of Puppy 2.14X5 (prepared by ttuuxxx http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=42553) in a virtual machine that can be “played” by the free VmWare Player. It is for people who have to work in Windows, in order that they can have a little bit of Puppy Heaven right there on their Windows desktop. It can also run full-screen and make Windows go away altogether Wink

1. To use it one simply downloads this 113MB zip archive and the VMWare Player.
2. Install the VMWare Player and Right-Click to unpack the Zip Archive.
3. Then open the vmPuppy folder and click the vmPuppy.vmx file.
4. Viola. There’s your Puppy! Click Firefox 3.5 and go surfing!

vmPuppy zip archive -> http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy400/vmPuppy.zip
VMWare Player -> http://www.vmware.com/download/player/thankyou.html

vmPuppy can also serve as a “browser appliance” when you have to work in Windows. Just open Puppy and surf in Firefox 3.5 in Linux. You can forget all about those nasty Windows viruses. There is also a version of VMWare Player for Linux, so you can run Puppy inside of Puppy, but I have not tested and do not know if the player runs in Puppy.

This is the almost the simplest installation possible. Xorgwizard correctly selected the vmware video driver and I then manually selected the vmmouse mouse driver. The vmmouse driver allows your mouse to move easily between the virtual machine window and your regular desktop. The desktop is set to 1024x768. If you run xorgwizard to reset the desktop resolution, then you will have to manually change the mouse driver from mouse to vmmouse (in /etc/X11/xorg.conf).

I did *not* install the “VMWare Tools” in this virtual machine. I chose Puppy 2.14RX5 because it is the only Puppy or Puppy derivative that I tried that correctly compiled *all* of the vmware-tools modules and also correctly used the vmware video and mouse drivers. (I tried 2.18, 3.01, 4.12, 4.21, and NewYearsPup and Wow’s Unnamed Pup. The Puppy 4 series seems to not be able to use the xorg vmware video driver.) However the vmware-tools added a lot of size for not much function (IMO), so I kept this one dead simple by not using them. The only “convenience” here is the ability to move the mouse in and out of the virtual machine easily, which I regard as a necessity for quality use of the virtual machine. The only big thing the vmware-tools offer is the ability more easily transfer files and data between the host and guest. I have prepared a version with the vmware-tools but I have not tested the "copy and paste" and “shared folders.”

Speaking of size: the zip archive is 113MB, only about 15MB larger than Puppy 2.14RX5.; it unpacks to about 150MB. The virtual disk will expand to allow adding pets or other programs

Why not the qemu puppies? They never have worked for me. Qemu always crashes. VMWare is proprietary software, but the Player is free of charge, and in my experience it is the most capable Virtual Machine program. I intend to also try to prepare a virtual machine for Virtual Box, which has an open source version and a proprietary version, and is free of charge in both versions.
Minnesota

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jul 2009, 18:36    Post subject: Puppy 2.14X5 Virtual Machine Subject description: Runs in fr
Subject description: WOW

Very Happy

WOW!
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jul 2009, 19:33    Post subject:  

Excellent Smile
Aitch

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jul 2009, 21:14    Post subject:  

Wow, indeed

Playdayz, you're a STAR, using another star, ttuuxxx's program to excellent effect

How easy was that? - an absolute doddle

I didn't have to mess with networking or alter my sandbox or firewall settings and here it is on the web, running a vmpuppy in XP

I'm impressed

Somrwhere in the annals of these threads I requested developers to make virtual Puppies

I believe this is the first since [almost a year ago?]

Congrats to both of you

Now about transferring files, mounting drives, & copy/paste to clipboard etc, one to another....

Is this possible or only with vmtools?

Recommended....

Thanks

Aitch Smile
VMPuppy in XP.jpg
Description  2 minute virtual Puppy
jpg

Download 
Filename  VMPuppy in XP.jpg 
Filesize  219.22 KB 
Downloaded  283 Time(s) 
sinc

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jul 2009, 23:12    Post subject:  New Linux User -- Very Impressed w/ 2.14v5  

I just wanted to say that I appreciate all the work going in to this and look forward to using it as my main operating system. I hope this version will still be supported long after its final release. Very Happy
Last edited by sinc on Thu 23 Jul 2009, 14:43; edited 1 time in total
playdayz

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jul 2009, 23:47    Post subject:  

Hey Aitch, thank you for the kind words; I even started with Puppy because it ran well in a virtual machine, so what took me so long!? Really, it is not hard at all. I might be able to answer questions for anyone who is experimenting themselves, or at least share experience. .

First, here's the "free" fix that I have been using. I plug in a usb stick and it shows up in the tray at the bottom right of the VMWare Player frame. By clicking the icon for the usb stick, one can tell it to Connect and Disconnect. So first I Connect it to the virtual machine and Puppy sees it and I just click the sda1 icon in the lower left corner of Puppy to open the usb stick (or use Pmount) I write to it and then unmount it and Disconnect it, which reconnects it to the host computer--so I go to the host and can read the file. That is how I have been sharing files--it is actually not that bad. Switching it back and forth without ever physically moving it Wink

Here's what I have found out about two methods of sharing data between the host and guest using vmware-tools. ttuuxx's 2.14X5 does well with copy and paste, where you can copy data in the guest and then paste it into the host, and vice versa. That works, and I could give you one that did that if you wanted. Because of the compiling and the vmware-tools themselves, the one that copies & pastes is much larger. The vmware-tools themselves are 245 MB, over twice as large as the whole of Puppy; some things can be stripped out but last time I tried I stripped out too much. Anyway the one I have with the tools is 664MB instead of 113MB in the one that is posted here.

Unfortunately, 2.14X5 compiles the "vmhgfs" module which allows sharing a folder between the Windows host and the guest, but for some reason it does not work. I had to install Ubuntu 8.04 to see what it was supposed to do; Ubuntu 9.04 didn't even work right. And it seems not to work in Puppy either.

Finally, I can make the virtual machines because I own VMWare Workstation. However, Sun's VirtualBox is free and just as good in most respects (IMO) so anyone can get that and start experimenting for themselves. All the variants of Puppy will work more or less in virtual machines. The Puppy 4 series seems to not be able to run the vmware video driver so it is necessary to use Xvesa for those Puppies. I haven't experimented as much with VirtualBox so some Puppies might run even better there., It does seem to me that simple reliable virtual machines is one way to show off Puppy to the Windows users.
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jul 2009, 01:52    Post subject:  

Excellent work playdayz, I knew you were experimenting with vmware because I sent you the compiler, but I didn't know you were releasing it Smile I'm really impressed with it all, Looks like 2.14X has reached a new level now, 2.14X is really going to take off when a final is released. great work.
ttuuxxx

Page 62 of 333 [4987 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, ..., 331, 332, 333 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: