Problem with "How I do Fonts"

Using applications, configuring, problems
spongedaddy

Problem with "How I do Fonts"

#1 Post by spongedaddy »

Hello all,

I'm working through the "How I do Fonts" thread by SitHeelSpeak (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=10576) and have a hit a snag.

I've downloaded and unpacked freetype 2.3.9 in to the recommended directories and have updated bash to 3.2. I replaced the old bash with the new as described.

However, when I go to /usr/freetype-2.3.9, open a terminal there and enter

Code: Select all

./configure --prefix=/usr
I receive the following:

bash: ./configure: No such file or directory
I'm sure I've overlooked something, but I can't imagine what since I'm early in the process and have been following this to the letter.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Sit Heel Speak

#2 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

No idea. I just downloaded the 2.3.9 source, and configure is in the unpack. Perhaps you got a bad download.

Which Puppy are you installing to?

spongedaddy

#3 Post by spongedaddy »

I'm using 4.00 with a full install.

spongedaddy

#4 Post by spongedaddy »

If indeed it is a bad download, should I scrap everything I've done to this point and just start over? With it being pretty early in the process I have no problem doing this.

Sit Heel Speak

#5 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Hang on--I've decided to go ahead and put together a dotpet. Back in 24.

Sit Heel Speak

#6 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Try spongedaddy-0.0.1.pet, over at
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 922#325922

Fair warning, though: while testing the Luxi font dotpet above it I somehow borked PETget. Don't know whether related to my dotpet or not. ***edited --Luxi font dotpet removed; it appears to be a quirk in the naming of dotpets, solved by replacing underscores with dashes***

1. THE MAIN DOTPET (spongedaddy-0.0.1.pet) IS NOT UNINSTALLABLE. It is not registered with PETget, so the Puppy Package Manager cannot uninstall it! So, make a backup copy of your pup_save.2fs file before you start ***edit: or, boot from CD and back up your entire partition, if a full install***. To onlookers: this was compiled under Puppy 4.00-k2.6.27.1 with libfreetype.so.6.3.16 and may not work with other kernel+libfreetype version combinations.

After installing, there are still three tasks to do:

1. Open an rxvt window and issue the command

xdpyinfo | grep 'dimensions:'
Write down the nnn x nnn millimeters values.

Now open /etc/X11/xorg.conf as text, scroll down to a place that looks like the code snippet below (your Monitor section may look slightly different, and may not have a DisplaySize line):

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
ModelName "Monitor Model"
HorizSync 31.5-48.5
VertRefresh 40-70
DisplaySize 433 347
EndSection
and create a DisplaySize line that matches the width x height values shown by xpdyinfo. For example, if xpdyinfo shows 433x347 millimeters, you would make the line

DisplaySize 433 347
2. Now in rxvt issue the command

xdpyinfo | grep 'resolution:'
and you will see something like

resolution:    75x75 dots per inch
Hopefully, the two dots-per-inch (dpi) values will match, but if they don't, use the second value. Edit /root/.XResources and /root/.XDefaults as I indicated at
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 0576#65727

For example, if you see 75x75 dots per inch, put the line

Xft.dpi:75
near the top of both /root/.XResources and /root/.XDefaults.

Note that if you use Menu --> Desktop -->Set global font size you will lose the dpi setting. Also if you change resolution on your monitor. In these cases, you must do the above two Xft.dpi edits over.

3. The /etc/fonts/local.conf which the dotpet gives you, has subpixel rendering turned on. This improves fonting on LCD and TFT monitors. But if you use a CRT monitor, you want subpixel rendering turned off. To turn it off, open /etc/fonts/local.conf as text, scroll down to the line

<edit name="rgba" mode="assign"><const>rgb</const></edit>
and change it to read

<edit name="rgba" mode="assign"><const>none</const></edit>

Now restart X, and you should have almost the full font improvements as described in my original thread. The only thing lacking, as compared to my full instructions...is, you might not have perfect gamma balance. However, the overwhelming majority of modern monitors don't need it.

In coming days I'll be posting more fontpack dotpets.

May your eyes be pleased,
Philip