Ppup-417 Alpha bug reports

Please post any bugs you have found
dogone

Issues - Suggestions - Questions re Ppup-417

#21 Post by dogone »

(re: pup4-417-k2.6.30.1.iso on multisession CD-R)

Issues:

10. Uget opens with a new download dialog showing a URL and file name of "%u". Ought these to be empty?

9. Bcrypt tells me that "password must have at least 8 characters" but it does not accept fewer that 9. BTW, is there a ccrpyt-capable encrypter available to Puppy?

8. GTkam still quite unstable with my Canon Powershot A590IS.

7. Network Wizard occasionally fails to obtain a valid dhcp assigned address during wireless connection setup. I often have to click the Auto DHCP button after the initial connection. No problems thereafter. See related suggestion below.

6. memtest from X does not work, can be dangerous and lead to data loss. Please remove this menu item. A boot option ("pfix=memtest") is the appropriate tool.

5. Zfind GUI stops responding when a search is executed and must be killed. Zfind remains running in the background with 50% CPU load.

4. alsaconf (alsawizard) reports "No supported PnP or PCI card found" despite kernel detection of the PCI card and successful load of [snd_ice1724] driver. Sound does work if /etc.asound.state is manually configured and "alsaconf restore" executed. Experienced this problem in 416 also.

3. PPM - clicking "examine dependencies" closes dialog and then nothing.

2. man command appears to be passing the wrong parameters to die.net. Site always returns "Not found" (problem dates back to 412 at least).

1. Creation of multisession DVD+RW fails. DVD+R multisession appears to work for first session only. Subsequent sessions not saved or not saved correctly (I've yet to investigate further).

Suggestions:

g. Does Puppy really need 3 scientific calculators? Calcoo appears the best of the three. Can we toss Xcalc and Ycalc (add to pet repo)?

f: Add a pause following network auto dhcp so user can see the assigned address. Network wizard seems somewhat inconsistent in this regard - sometimes you see it and sometimes you don't. See the related issue above.

e. Provide the multisession user the option of a periodic "save session" reminder and/or auto save session (sans disk eject). Optical media is cheap and it's too easy to run for hours without remembering to save the session.

d. Lots of CD/DVD tray activity this time out. What's changed? Rather annoying. Can we give the user the option...?

c. "do you want to unmount..." dialog very annoying. I suggest it be dropped in favor of the 412 right-click solution. (or at least, position the dialog to above the drive icon. see ttuuxx's series 2 redux.)

b. Provide user the equivalent of "pfix=fsck" during or after boot from multisession session CD/DVD. We need some sort of sanity check of the disk and it's contents.

a. Reduce the size of the green mount indicator dot by about 30% or (preferred) integrate the indication into the device icon (turn the oval on the drive to green).

Questions:

A. Can multisession users load .sfs files at boot? If so, how? I note that Boot Manager sees .sfs files symlinked to "/" but the source drive would then have to be auto-mounted at boot. MS users have no home.
Last edited by dogone on Sun 19 Jul 2009, 18:22, edited 10 times in total.

GrumpyWolfe

Flashplayer

#22 Post by GrumpyWolfe »

Hi Berry
while you are working to get out a bata just wanted to mention that syfi.com dose not work the the current flashplayer had to upgrade to 10 to get the site to work maybe you could work 10 into the upgrades
Live and Let Live

Acer Aspire One N450 1.66GHz

[url=http://sourceforge.net/projects/mywolfe/]MyWolfe at Sourceforge[/url]
[url=http://mywolfe.blogspot.com/]MyWolfe Blog[/url]
[url=http://groups.google.com/group/mywolfe-linux]MyWolfe Groups[/url]

nancy reagan

Packagemanagement

#23 Post by nancy reagan »

I like the flying desktop pup.

Would it be an idea to give every series its own pup, or color, or stripes, anyhow -a unique symbol- as people get lost amongst the distroes ?

Again, all those funny names for the programs sound like He-brew. Why not -first- mention the program, e.g. "multimediaplayer - Gxine", "wordprocessor - Abiword" as we read from left to right and always are in a hurry.

Even though I like Puppy very much, it comes to me more or less as a distro for amongst TWEAKERS. Which applies to all linux distroes.

Userfriendliness starts imo with accessible names. Might it be an idea before launching again a newer distro to hand it to a windblower and ask him her to go about ? and considering from the questions and remarks they make to adapt the skin ?

I think it is annoying antytime you hit the sda symbol you are asked whether you want to unmount or not. (I am lazy).

Would it be an idea to write in capitals on the download page TESTING VERSIONS for those to be teted ?

I am not a tester just thought "going to -use- 417".

I first used the first proposed iso by Barry. Now the scsi but the same with

PACKAGEMANAGEMENT

With the first iso when I installed a pet it kept saying that a menu entry was made in utilities, even if it was a pet without a menu entry, e.g. driver .

The vlc pet did not respond at all, but in the petget screen it was mentioned as "installed".

Or if I wanted to try to install a mm pet it said that a menu entry was made in "utility".

In 412 I always use jrb's "load_sfs_412". In this iso it does not work maybe something to do with version numbers ? even though it says "menu entry made".

Now in this "scsi-iso" it says when trying to install skype and vlc "not a menu entry made", which is correct - in a sense..

The first iso did not seem to scroll as smoothly as the 412 maybe because I inserted a usb dvb-t, though not installed.

mawebb88

Good news so far

#24 Post by mawebb88 »

Did a frugal install using pup4-417-k2.6.30.1.iso on my EeePC901's SSD. The Network Wizard went like dream to my WiFi with WPK. Whats more it sticks between reboots. Perfect :)

Question: When in in route to 4.3 will there be the latest Seamonkey?

Request: Please keep in Seamonkey mail
Request: Please can we have the special EeePC drivers for this latest kernel (good news is that the fan is working without the specials)
Request: Keep gXine(need it for midi with the extra pluggins) and add Mplayer(with browser plugin). I need Mplayer to listen to live BBC and also BBC postcasts. Never got anything else to work.

Working: gFTP, Seamonkey,HardInfo, Pnethood(except for the CIFs problem I have reported several times in the forum together with a workaround)

Doggy: alsamixer seems to have some sliders missing e.g. master volume!

Working: Aqualung. Good news is that Aqualung accepts m3u playlists if you drag them. It would be nice if the run action for m3u was built in out of the box. BTW for some reason gxine is not working with my m3u playlists although in 412 I have it working fine.
I am beginning to like Aqualung. I set the run action for m3u to aqualung and hey-presto my playlist.m3u off my LADdisk samba server loads., Great. only problem is that is does not automatically play. I have to click the play arrow. I have searched the settings but have not found so far how to make this happen. Also could not get Aqualung to shuffle my playlist. Another irritation is that mutiple copies of Aqualung seem to load when it would be better if the tabs function (which it has) was used

Working: flv files play nicely in gxine out of the box (and avi)

Not working: Could not get any of the PuppyTV channels to run. Just a dialog box saying getting gxine to run and a okay button.

I am going to submit this in case I lose it now.

Thanks Barry etc for a great looking Puppy. Roll on 4.3 asap.

Mike

Minnesota

PUP TV

#25 Post by Minnesota »

mawebb88 wrote:.........

Not working: Could not get any of the PuppyTV channels to run. Just a dialog box saying getting gxine to run and a okay button.

Mike
Fox japan not connecting
Fox 11 works fine
BBC.. new url.. so nothing
Nasa 1 forget
Nasa 2 works fine
SIFI not today... think did worked the other day
Comic NO
Baseball.... might was very slow, quite waiting at 64%.

shinobar

NEWLANG in /usr/bin/xwin

#26 Post by shinobar »

any i18n seeng LANG environment fails because of the bug in /usr/bin/xwin at the line 517...
wrong:(reads the comment line in /etc/profile.)

Code: Select all

NEWLANG="`cat /etc/profile | grep "LANG=" | cut -f 2 -d '='`"
should be:

NEWLANG="`cat /etc/profile | grep '^[[:blank:]]*LANG=' | tail -n 1| cut -f 2 -d '='`"

mawebb88

I like the bcrypt GUI

#27 Post by mawebb88 »

I like the bcrypt GUI

Minor problem: when decrypting normally using bycrpt from the command line only entering the password once is required but the GUI needs it twice.

Also clicking on a .bfe file (in ROX) opens the GUI but does not complete the file name so a drag is still required.

Rgds Mike

mawebb88

SFS files not loaded?

#28 Post by mawebb88 »

I added my usual 2 SFS files (OpenOffice-3.0.sfs and jre1.6.0_12-jedit-4.3pre16.sfs) to the boot manager list and rebooted. It reported that the layered file system was being updated etc but once in JWM there was no sign of OpenOffice (on the screen or in the menu)

Rgds Mike

capoverde

#29 Post by capoverde »

Testing pup4-417-k2.6.30.1: boots OK, ADSL connects regularly and quickly, new background image sets up fine, AbiWord starts normally and works with TrueType fonts; virtual desktop number does not change from wizard but works setting it manually in /root/jwm/.jwmrc-personal, as in some earlier versions.

An SD flash card in a USB reader is mounted OK but its icon shows up on the desktop only after restarting X (XVesa 1280x1024).

Pup-TV seems nice, GXine works full-screen, though only FOX 11 LA in the PupTV list actually displays a program -- pity, no cartoons...

More to come, there's a lot of novelties. This is posted with Puppy-Browser, which installed in seconds; oddly, here the serif font shows up without anti-aliasing, unlike in SeaMonkey.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#30 Post by Flash »

Testing pup4-417-k2.6.30.1 for multisession use:
  • 1. Using Burniso2cd in Upup 471 multisession DVD running entirely in RAM, burned pup4-417-k2.6.30.1 iso to DVD+RW, then shut down saving to the newly burned DVD.
    2. Booted the newly burned DVD. All settings and installed programs from the previous (multisession Upup 471) DVD had been saved to the new one.
    3. Using Burniso2cd in the newly burned pup4-417-k2.6.30.1 multisession DVD, burned the same iso to the same DVD+RW as in step 1.
    4. Attempted to shut down saving to the newly burned DVD as in step 1, but the DVD popped out long before it should have.
    5. When the newly burned DVD was booted, it was a pristine new copy of pup4-417-k2.6.30.1: the first session with the settings and programs from the previous DVD was not saved.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

`f00

#31 Post by `f00 »

___090720-25 pP417std testing___
.. following Flash's lead (somewhat)

1) Burniso2cd of pup4-417-k2.6.30.1.iso to RIDATA 1-4x CD-RW media on DVD-RW IDE1004 unit in P412bone1 (an initial for Xorg, a repeat for Xvesa - both burns 'pinkslipped' by Verify despite proper 4x burn, OK/casebutton-closetray procedure for 1st .. OK did a s/w close of tray on 2nd, just thought I'd try any variation in sequence/procedure to try for a greencard from Verify but sometimes it simply doesn't :| ). Both actually good.

2) boot 'Xorg' disc with pfix=ram for a peek ... Xorg is still a *mess* to get past for me on my usual machine (I think I guessed lucky .. Mileage May Vary). Leafpad seems a better choice for simple opener of text or at least in openwith (should I edit readmes?). Perhaps make bookmarks to local html like Roxhelps for Pupbrowser (all the wikientries in the world aren't going to help a conn that ain't) - of course one can always play with the url to navigate. Is freetype in? the fonts might be better (quibblequibble). Actually it's quite good for a final(?) alpha as far as a quick look goes in my limited testing. poweroff/nosave.

3) Xvesa (simpler, quicker re-X)
a) started uP476std,Xvesa - this is a fairly mature liveCD tester set up for my comfort and almost entirely stable. gdm-reported disc-size is approx. 237Mb total with 10 savedirs .. switch disc to the 'Xvesa' pP417 and save current session to this disc on poweroff. long-ish 1st "Burning data from previous CD to first track...", then after red "The media tray appears to be open"etc mssg a shorter 2nd burn & autoeject
b) coldboot, both upgrade savedirs then 417's sfs loaded - upgrade successful

4) Xorg
a&b) pretty much the same shutdown, save to switched disc upgrade procedure but used P421barebones,Xorg as the starting liveCD (gdm-reported disc-size approx. 136Mb total with 7 savedirs)

...5) general impressions of both upgrades
Some minor issues even though both successful. A re-install of leafpad may work best if one prefers it to NicoEdit for a simple textviewer/editor (zedit doesn't get 'broken'). SeaMonkey upgrades to 1116 but Medit stayed at earlier 92 version (seems to be fixed with a simple switch of /usr/bin/medit from a renamed click-mounted copy of the liveCD's pup4-417.sfs on thumbdrive). gpicview gets broken (no loss as I actually like gqview better). mtpaint (depending on original install) may have a lib symlink 'off' .. a re-sym seems to work oki. htop and consoles may behave or display differently from original setups. Puppy Package Manager (petget?.. ah, P417 oem path got changed in the upgrade) wasn't starting from menu or console for me in the P421bb-upgrade (depchecker only shows new installs there, uP476-upgrade shows all). gui for re-X may work once in a dozen tries for me - ctrl+alt+bs is getting to be a habit rather than to even try a button-click. the yaf-splash on left-clicking a mounted-status driveicon (rather than opening a roxfiler window for that drive) is an annoying two-step, imo. Pfind49 (with pfilesearch116) works well :)

another dumb screenie link, 87k

dotpet compatibility might be iffy (I'm mostly guessing since no pupconn to update PPM and follow the new guidelines for repos & such) for local installs - fresh installs usually work, some even better than previously (like audacious132, as far as I can tell for the simple way I use it). Other simple wms like black and openbox (the newer 3.4.7.2-2 is nice for the menu updating, although I prefer a console fixmenus to the 'quiet' fixmenus from the ob-menu) seem fairly bulletproof. jwm-enhancements help the look (in both since I like the rounded corners, etc and don't use a separate colors file personally)

. . . addenda (htop) . . .
pP417std (out of uP476, upgrade) - htop will not start directly (from menu or wbar), the final -e htop seems to 'flicker' a console window .. works fine from a simple command in an open console
pP417std (out of P421barebones, upgrade) - htop launches as expected
vidcard0 - RV280 (aka ATI Radeon 9200), AGP
vidcard1 - not used (switched in BIOS), PCI
soundcard - emu10k1 (aka Creative Audigy 2 ZS or SB0350)
boot/save method - liveCDrw (both upgrades as noted)
limitations - no printer, no internet connection
Last edited by `f00 on Tue 04 Aug 2009, 04:00, edited 2 times in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#32 Post by BarryK »

Good news, multisession DVD using Xorriso should be fixed soon. Thomas has located the bug. I'll post an upgrade package when it becomes available.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Keef

#33 Post by Keef »

pup4-417-k2.6.30.1
Frugal install on CF to IDE adapter
Armada 3500
PII 300mhz
320mb
Netgear WG111T usb wireless

Wifi working well again on the Armada, but no joy at all on a Dell 610 with same dongle (no WPA connection). The only thing I can think of is that the slower USB 1.1 port on the Armada helps, but that's just an ill-informed guess.

Main drive (internal CF) is still showing on desktop as a floppy.
Gparted lists it as a floppy drive too.

Medit: don't know if this is a bug, but clicking 'save' on a new document does not prompt for a file name. The document is just saved as 'F%'

shinobar

Set global font size

#34 Post by shinobar »

'Set global font size' does not work.
/usr/sbin/set-xftdpi should be:

#!/bin/sh

exec gins /usr/sbin/set-xftdpi.sh /usr/sbin/set-xftdpi.glade
Last edited by shinobar on Sat 01 Aug 2009, 03:29, edited 1 time in total.

capoverde

#35 Post by capoverde »

Rebooting Ppup-417 after the first session with a just-made pup4save.2fs, AbiWord no longer starts from the desktop icon as on first run but does start from the terminal, as described by Ray MK; the un-antialised fonts (e.g. Times) do not appear in print, nor in print preview or the generated PDF. The terminal window shows error messages when going to print ("(abiword:21199): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated", "** (abiword:21199): WARNING **: could not set the value of Settings.Document.Filter, node not found").

Setting up a printer and actual printing works fine (HP970CXi), will test with other printers.

Aqualung seems really nice, even shows song-related pic beautifully with click-to-enlarge - a pleasant surprise! :o

01micko

#36 Post by 01micko »

Having trouble with the PPM and also dir2pet. I made a simple pet (see http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 608#325608)(that pet has been upgraded with one made in 4.1.2, original posted below) and when it came to the stage of the GUI coming up there was an error and the gui didn't show.

** ERROR **: gtkdialog: Error in line 16, near token '</default>': syntax error

aborting...
cat: /tmp/petspec_db_entry: No such file or directory
The package was created successfully and does work correctly in other puppies.

With the PPM a menu entry is not being created, this bug was also in the 476 PPM. The package must be reinstalled and even that won't work sometimes, even after a full reboot.

Hope this helps :)

Edit: original pet attached. Will it show any clues?
Attachments
Versioninfo.pet
(571 Bytes) Downloaded 435 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

charlie6

#37 Post by charlie6 »

Hi,
Tested pup4-417-k2.6.25.16.iso in RAM on PIV Siemens-Fuji 1.5GB Ram
(maybe is this redundant and already well known...sorry if it is)
after saved session to CD-RW, live-cd do not boot
Installed from, and trial to save session to CD-RW :
at end of save I have been asked to place a new CD or to blank the one installed.

# disktype /dev/sr0
--- /dev/sr0
Block device, size 127.2 MiB (133343232 bytes)
CD-ROM, 2 tracks, CDDB disk ID 14036402
Track 1: Data track, 121.0 MiB (126906368 bytes)
  ISO9660 file system
    Volume name "CDROM"
    Application "MKISOFS ISO 9660/HFS FILESYSTEM BUILDER & CDRECORD CD-R/DVD CRE                                                                                                   ATOR (C) 1993 E.YOUNGDALE (C) 1997 J.PEARSON/J.SCHILLING"
    Data size 98.73 MiB (103524352 bytes, 50549 blocks of 2 KiB)
    El Torito boot record, catalog at 26
      Bootable non-emulated image, starts at 27, preloads 2 KiB
        Platform 0x00 (x86), System Type 0x00 (Empty)
        ISOLINUX boot loader
Track 2: Data track, 6.139 MiB (6436864 bytes)
  ISO9660 file system
    Volume name "CDROM"
    Preparer    "XORRISO-0.4.0 2009.06.28.090001, LIBISOBURN-0.4.0, LIBISOFS-0.6                                                                                                   .21, LIBBURN-0.6.7"
    Data size 5.809 MiB (6090752 bytes, 2974 blocks of 2 KiB)

# ls /mnt/sr0
2009-07-20-21-40  help.msg   isolinux.bin  logo.16       vmlinuz
boot.msg          initrd.gz  isolinux.cfg  pup4-417.sfs
It won't boot anymore.
(I tried this 2 times before writing this post - have completely blanked the cd before burning the iso again.)
cheers!
Charlie

shinobar

petget

#38 Post by shinobar »

/usr/local/petget/installpkg.sh at line 240...

Wrong(duplicate '|'):

CATEGORY="`cat $DESKTOPFILE |  | grep '^Categories=' | cut -f 2 -d '=' | rev | cut -f 1 -d ';' | rev`"
Should be:

CATEGORY="`cat $DESKTOPFILE | grep '^Categories=' | cut -f 2 -d '=' | rev | cut -f 1 -d ';' | rev`"

EZ4arabs

#39 Post by EZ4arabs »

pup4-417-k2.6.25.16.iso
Puppy built with 2.6.25.16 kernel and lots of modem drivers. Good for older computers and/or if you access Internet via a "winmodem".
lucent /ager modem on TP disconnects for time out .I am sure its not an ISP problem because few minuted later on 2.16 it works just fine.
if it might help here is some info :

--> The PPP daemon has died: A modem hung up the phone (exit code = 16)
--> man pppd explains pppd error codes in more detail.
--> Try again and look into /var/log/messages and the wvdial and pppd man pages for more information.

(none) user.warn kernel: ltmodem: module license 'Proprietary' taints kernel.
(none) user.info kernel: Loading Lucent Modem Controller driver version 8.26-alk-8
 (none) user.info kernel: Detected Parameters Irq=11 BaseAddress=0x1880 ComAddress=0x0
(none) user.info kernel: ttySLTM0 at I/O 0x1880 (irq = 11) is a Lucent/Agere Modem
(none) user.info kernel: PPP generic driver version 2.4.2
 (none) daemon.notice pppd[8443]: pppd 2.4.5 started by root, uid 0
 (none) daemon.debug pppd[8443]: using channel 1
 (none) daemon.info pppd[8443]: Using interface ppp0
 (none) daemon.notice pppd[8443]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttySLTM0
 (none) daemon.warn pppd[8443]: Warning - secret file /etc/ppp/pap-secrets has world and/or group access
(none) daemon.debug pppd[8443]: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0xa6208911> <pcomp> <accomp>]
(none) daemon.debug pppd[8443]: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0xa6208911> <pcomp> <accomp>]
(none) daemon.warn pppd[8443]: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
(none) daemon.notice pppd[8443]: Connection terminated.
(none) daemon.notice pppd[8443]: Modem hangup
(none) daemon.info pppd[8443]: Exit.
when I unchecked [carrier check] the system froze.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#40 Post by BarryK »

I have responded to some posts here:

http://puppylinux.com/blog/?viewDetailed=00911
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]