e will not start

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
phodges

e will not start

#1 Post by phodges »

here is one for you gentlemen:

Enlightenment cannot initialize its X connection.
Have you set your display variable?
E17: Begin shutdown procedure!

i am getting with cd and usb.

runtt21

#2 Post by runtt21 »

"i am getting with cd and usb." what are you running?

If you have a macpup or a buddapup , it means you have a bad download.

If you have built something with a .pet of e17 it means you are missing some libs.

Open a terminal in jwm or icewm or whatever and run :

enlightenment_start

It will tell you whats missing.
[url]http://macpup.org/runtt21[/url]

phodges

#3 Post by phodges »

the usb was running serenity. it had been working fine.

what i pasted in above is the output when i try enlightenmnet_start.

i have several cd's with buddapup17, serenity, and none of them start e. they worked before. i did a new download of serenity, checked the hash and everything. macpup cd still works.

every distro i have quits working at some point....slax, dreamlinux, various pups. it is pretty frustrating.

runtt21

#4 Post by runtt21 »

boot serenity up, after e fails at the prompt type:

xwin jwm

that should get you back into jwm , run the command i posted and it should tell you what has happened to e17.

runtt21

#5 Post by runtt21 »

If x isnt running , you need to to use :

xwin enlightenment_start

to start e17 .

use enlightenment_start in a terminal while running jwm to see what the problem is with e17.

Have you added or deleted anything in the last day or two?

phodges

#6 Post by phodges »

on the usb install the xinitrc is screwed, i cannot get anything. i cannot get to it with a text editor to fix it. unless there is a way to unpack the pup_save file from another running os to edit the file i may have to give it up.

booting from cd, and trying to start e from the command line in jwm, it says 'cannot create manager object for screen 0'

and then '...failed. perhaps another window manager is running?'

exiting jwm, and trying to start gets the original message i posted above. the last line in the list before the error message is 'ESTART: .... x connect'

runtt21

#7 Post by runtt21 »

Boot up macpup in RAM , you should be able to mount your pup-save and check it ( i have done that before) . you should be able to delete xinitrc in the pup save then put the buddapup cd in , mount it and copy its xinitrc to the pup save.

I dont understand why you would be able to run the buddappup cd for a while and then all of a sudden it wont work even with a fresh download.

puppyluvr

#8 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
Sounds like you need to fsck your pupsave...
I would say to compare md5sums with the one for Buddapup Dingo in my link below, but you said it worked fine before...

So the CD of Serenity, which worked, now will not??
Did you boot "pfix=ram"..
Even if your pupsave is corrupted, booting into ram, E should start...
If the CD worked before, it should work now...
Boot in ram, copy the xinitrc over the corrupted one in your pupsave,
and try that.. Booted "pfix=ram" you can mount your pupsave...
every distro i have quits working at some point.
(Good tip:
When you have your system working like you want...
Back-up your pupsave.. )
Easy to restore it that way..
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

phodges

#9 Post by phodges »

excellent, thank you gentlemen. i think mounting the pup_save from another session will enable me to fix the xinitc for the usb install and at least get into jwm.

i don't understand how the cd's would quit working either. and i have tried them on more than one computer.

if i understand what both of you are saying, is that when the cd boots it looks for a pupsave on the computer to load. so maybe there is a pupsave somewhere on the computer from a previous boot that gets loaded and prevents e from starting. next week i should have time to try getting them going and of course you will hear from me again ;)

i have several of your epups for people to try, it would be a shame if it did not work out. not to mention the hours i put into customising my usb serenity. i tried remastering, but did not think of the simple solution of just backing up the pupsave.

i thought i posted this in the serenity thread, i only just realised it ended up on the main forum....sorry!

puppyluvr

#10 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
You will find booting with "puppy pfix=ram" at the boot prompt will work better than using another pupsave, as Puppy might confuse the two..
Generally, 4.xx series Puppy and Enlightenment are very stable..
My Serenity install is over a year old, and has been abused a lot, and is still solid.. The pupsave for it is 2gb....( It was before I learned to symlink to /mtn/home.. :oops: )...
You say the CD`s which did work, now will not work, even on other computers??
If there is an (accidental?) save on the CD, that will also be ignored by puppy pfix=ram at boot...
Good luck...

@ If you would like to respond to the Serenity thread instead, I`ll be watching for you... :D
Edit: Also, I just remembered that Dingo, and thus Serenity, does an fsck at every boot-up..It was default in 4.0....
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

phodges

#11 Post by phodges »

i got the xinitrc fixed on the usb install and it booted right into E. i rebooted a few times to test it. no signs of the earlier problem. i am afraid to test it on another computer ;)

with the cd's, typing 'xwin start_enlightenment' instead of just 'start_enlightenment' works.

that was most likely my problem in both cases, not using xwin after having exited JWM.

thanks for the help guys!