Preparing for Puppy II

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
M.Gregg

Puppy 2 name

#21 Post by M.Gregg »

Hi all,

What about "puppy Aurora"

or "fast-pup", "cyber-pup","Wild-pup2",

vern72023

#22 Post by vern72023 »

I use puppylinux exclusively on usb drives and have since 1.05 but some drives just would not work because of their architcture like memorex.

So I decided to try the puppy II on that one and it worked first time which is good.

Couple of gotchas
- it seemed a lot slower to load the my current modified 1.07 - and it had issues seeing the usb ports on an emachine once it had loaded but I have seen that before with the 2.6 kernel
The other gotcha for me is the fact that the whole drive is configured as linux format vs FAT.
- I value the fact that I can use my 1GB USB on my Swiss Army knife to go between my office ( which is XP) ; my wifes machine again XP and my own which is linux and can also use any machine I find to run and access my data my way all from just one penknife drive that attaches to my keyring.
george

gliezl

#23 Post by gliezl »

I vote for Puppy Reloaded! :-D
[color=blue][i]"If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it."
~Margaret Fuller[/i][/color]

mayakovski

#24 Post by mayakovski »

gliezl wrote:I vote for Puppy Reloaded! :-D
I second that. 8)
Mayakovski
Puppy Linux | Barking Up The Right Tree

Compaq Armada 1580DMT | P150, 49MB RAM - 3.2 GB HD, Puppy 1.0.6
Compaq Deskpro EN | P3-733, 384 MB RAM - 80GB HD, Puppy 1.0.7

Ted Dog

#25 Post by Ted Dog »

mayakovski wrote:
gliezl wrote:I vote for Puppy Reloaded! :-D
I second that. 8)
I third that.

softgun

#26 Post by softgun »

PupTy "puppy to you" and "to" has the SOUND of "two" ;-)

#27 Post by Guest »

I don't like 'Puppy Reloaded' to gung ho
What about 'Puppy Presto' ( Presto meaning quick, rapidly, immediately, quick tempo or to be played very fast)

It could be a Puppy2 catch cry..... 'Hey Presto'... Have you tried it yet!

#28 Post by Guest »

How about Porthos(for the Trekers).

drongo

#29 Post by drongo »

How about Newtricks (as in "you can't teach an old dog new tricks")? Puppy's not an old dog and Puppy 2 is bound to be full of Barry's tricks.

Maybe spell it NewtrIX to make it sound more UNIXy (is that a new word?)

GuestToday

#30 Post by GuestToday »

Puppy with attitude:

Puppytude
PuppyToo'd (double meaning previously mentioned)

Ted Dog

Me like this idea

#31 Post by Ted Dog »

drongo wrote:spell it NewtrIX to make it sound more UNIXy (is that a new word?)
Sounds real good to me, but it reminds me of something..... hemmmmm. :?:

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#32 Post by Lobster »

Now you know why Puppy ran so fast - someone tried to "Neutrix" him
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Billwho?
Trialing 4.20

#33 Post by Billwho? »

softgun wrote:PupTy "puppy to you" and "to" has the SOUND of "two" ;-)
Not bad. How about

PuppyTooU :?:

We could even use something similar for Puupy 4, if Barry gets that carried away!!. (PuppyForeU) :wink: Gives the added meaning of being at the front.(right where Puppy is in my book) :D
Last edited by Billwho? on Wed 18 Jan 2006, 07:55, edited 1 time in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

universal installer

#34 Post by Lobster »

I'm trying to get Puppy2 away from needing any menu (and subsequent pause) at bootup. Puppy2 tackles the problem the other way round, by booting up in ramdisk-only the first time you boot on a PC, then at shutdown you are asked if you want to create a personal storage file. If you anser yes, it will get created and automatically used next time you boot Puppy.
Yeah, simple, and it's working.
Brilliant.
I was never 100% happy with the boot menu adding valuable seconds on the Puppy Boot time - so this is good news

Expect a pre-alpha of Puppy Pitto (P2) soon - next few days hopefully :)
(check 17 June News)
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/news.htm
Note, I'm writing a "universal installer", a sneak preview will be available with the next pre-alpha release.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

kirk

#35 Post by kirk »

I'm trying to get Puppy2 away from needing any menu (and subsequent pause) at bootup. Puppy2 tackles the problem the other way round, by booting up in ramdisk-only the first time you boot on a PC, then at shutdown you are asked if you want to create a personal storage file. If you anser yes, it will get created and automatically used next time you boot Puppy.
I think this would be better for new users, but I might miss the old boot menue.
Somtimes its nice to boot to ram only or to choose the harddrive partition / pupxxx file so that you can test somthing with a clean pupxxx.
Can we have it both ways? Maybe 3 seconds to hit a key and bring up the old boot menue? Or hold down a key while booting to bring up a menue?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#36 Post by BarryK »

kirk wrote:
I think this would be better for new users, but I might miss the old boot menue.
Somtimes its nice to boot to ram only or to choose the harddrive partition / pupxxx file so that you can test somthing with a clean pupxxx.
Can we have it both ways? Maybe 3 seconds to hit a key and bring up the old boot menue? Or hold down a key while booting to bring up a menue?
You will still be able to have it both ways.

By the way, we will have to get used not to calling it a "pupxxx" file, as pup2 names the personal storage file "pup_save.3fs" -- a fixed name, no numbers in it.

Anyway, if you just rename pup_save.3fs to something else, then reboot, Puppy won't be able to find it, so will think you are doing a first-boot and will come up in RAM only.

Ted Dog

adding more loopbacks to kernel, Please

#37 Post by Ted Dog »

After some googling I found the default loopback number around 8 for 2.4 series and I think 256 for 2.6 series. I would like to experiment with more squashes could you upgrade to ~250 loopbacks in the new kernel for one of the next beta releases Puppy2.
Thanks

kirk

#38 Post by kirk »

Anyway, if you just rename pup_save.3fs to something else, then reboot, Puppy won't be able to find it, so will think you are doing a first-boot and will come up in RAM only.
Thanks Barry, I should have been able to figure that out!

With a fully R/W file system that you can compile in, I would think that schools would like Puppy. If you're learning to program and you screw something up on the system, you can just delete the pup_save.3fs and reboot. It's been a great learning tool for me to learn some Bash. I haven't used unix since SCO in 88'. I took a class in C many years ago (and forgot most of it) and had to pay about $80 for a compiler/developer tools kit. Free seems like a better price.

Thanks again for the great distro!

PoiemaMan

Puppy2 name.....

#39 Post by PoiemaMan »

As mentioned earlier, I also like Puppy2 - Greyhound. It suggests lean and fast. And it has a fun side but also sounds professional. Just my 2 cents.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#40 Post by Lobster »

PupSafe for Pup2 announced (check 19 Jan 2006 News)
"Ah, but Puppy has PupSafe!"

http://www.puppylinux.com/news.htm
8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)