Motorola SB5100 SURFboard USB Cable Modem works

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
edr4d

Motorola SB5100 SURFboard USB Cable Modem works

#1 Post by edr4d »

Motorola SB5100 SURFboard Cable Modem is running fine in Puppy 1.0.7.

I'm using the USB to connect.

Note: I had to install the CDCEther module (located in modules-2.4.29-complete.tar.gz) to get it working.

I placed CDCEther.o in /root and then: insmod /root/CDCEther.o

Run the Ethernet/network Wizard and follow the directions and that's it.

Also added insmod /root/CDCEther.o to /etc/rc.d/rc.local to load the module at boot.

So far it's working fine.

Just for reference: it's running on a 400MHz Intel Celeron, 64 MB RAM, 8 GIG Hard drive with no ethernet card.

Max Raign

Cable Modem

#2 Post by Max Raign »

Actually it is the ethernet card that matters. i feel the network connection using the same modem and the ethernet card in my laptop compaq evo is giving me a better speed. This modem works for 5, 6 and 7 versions. I have checked that myself for all type of installations and runs.

edr4d

Re: Cable Modem

#3 Post by edr4d »

Max Raign wrote:Actually it is the ethernet card that matters. i feel the network connection using the same modem and the ethernet card in my laptop compaq evo is giving me a better speed. This modem works for 5, 6 and 7 versions. I have checked that myself for all type of installations and runs.
If I had an ethernet card I would have used it instead of USB just because of reading some posts reporting a faster speed with the ethernet card. But you know what, I've gotten getting 500 KB/sec down with it. Haven't done any in-depth testing but the USB connection is definitely fast enough for everything I'm doing with it.

The first several weeks I had the internet connection set up here were filled with major intermittent connectivity problems. About 4 techs from the cable company came out and left scratching their heads. In the meantime loudly and persistently complaining to customer service. Then one day a tech stopped by and swapped out the modem for this one and waa-laa, problem solved.

Also got to dig the standby switch on top. whenever I'm away from the PC I hit the button and it disconnects from the Internet.