pupeee 4.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
luther349

new pupee

#81 Post by luther349 »

hey im back at it

if anyone knoes where i can find a drm pet for 4.2 so i can get opengl working please point me to it.

tempestuous

#82 Post by tempestuous »

Puppy 4.x already contains the DRM kernel modules. For the Eee it's i915. Check with this command

Code: Select all

modinfo i915
For 3D you also need the Xorg DRI libraries -
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ri-7.3.pet
But I warn that 3D with the Intel driver under Puppy's current Xorg7.3 hasn't met with success by the various people who have tried it.
I believe there's a proprietary Intel 3D driver which might work. I think MU posted information about it at one stage.

Apparently the opensource Intel driver is much improved in Xorg 7.4. There is some discussion on the Developer Blog about this.

luther349

#83 Post by luther349 »

yes all i get is a black screen with 7.3 and 7.4 wont go into dri at all. i tried loading libdrm using rmmod drm and it said not found. trust me i tryed many guides on this matter nothing works. best i can do is lock x up. even installing a newer intel driver and drm did not work. getting puppy into 3d is just a pain. why they dont include it as a recompiled add on is just dumb. almost every media player uses it for better video modes.

why i said i hit a wall on another release being i want this feature to get the eee gma 945 into full video acell. and even light gaming lol but i never got anything other then anarchy and runscape to run playable.

but i guess ill play with 7.4 more and see if i can get anywhere with that if 7.3 is broken byond patching.

tempestuous

#84 Post by tempestuous »

luther349 wrote:getting puppy into 3d is just a pain.
Only with certain graphics devices/Xorg drivers, such as the infamous Intel GMA series. That's Intel's fault, not the fault of Puppy. Do a Google search and you will see that all other Linux distros are struggling with the same problem.

But with the nVIDIA proprietary driver, 3D is a breeze, and very reliable.
luther349 wrote:i tried loading libdrm using rmmod drm and it said not found.
I think you may be confusing an Xorg library with a kernel module.
Puppy 4.1/4.2 definitely contains the drm module, and the i915 module depends on it. So both modules will load when you do this

modprobe i915
But strictly speaking, that's not necessary because when DRI is activated in xorg.conf, with this line -

Load "dri"
those two modules should be automatically loaded by the DRI/DRM libraries.

luther349

#85 Post by luther349 »

ubuntu supports the gma just fine. but i believe its 7.4.its 3d acell is dirt slow tho even for a gma.

tempestuous

#86 Post by tempestuous »

luther349 wrote:ubuntu supports the gma just fine.
its 3d acell is dirt slow tho even for a gma.
Puppy can do just as well.
tombh explained how to set up Intel 3D driver to work with Compiz-Fusion here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=32242

aarf confirmed that Compiz-Fusion (and therefore Intel 3D) is working with his Eee 701 here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 664#250664

Now that I have another look at tombh's HOWTO, I see some interesting configuration lines he added to the "Server Layout" section of his xorg.conf file -

Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
This might be the magic bullet.

ColinB

#87 Post by ColinB »

sirAlex wrote:eeepc 701

2) package manager in 4.2 does not fit to screen so it is very hard to delete packages.
Find the solution here courtesy of Gyro.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 00&t=36824

ColinB

#88 Post by ColinB »

I installed pupeee 4.2 to SD card on my 701(4G) this week and everything so far is great. Wifi, sound etc working fine. :D
Now, can anyone tell me the best version of wine to install with 4.2?

luther349

#89 Post by luther349 »

tryed that guide it did get the intel into dri but x crashes everytime i type glxinfo or glxgears. meaning wile it did work on getting 3d to start its very unstable(not working). i just dont think theirs anything i can do with xorg 7.3.

i beleve they are using 7.4.

i did link the new chipset wifi driver for the 701sd and other new model eeepc. for those needing it

tempestuous

#90 Post by tempestuous »

luther349
Forum member Patriot has just compiled upgraded Intel DRM kernel modules here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=44388
For the Puppy 4.1/4.2 kernels you need intel-via-agpdrm-upd-2.6.25.16-i486.pet

I should add that the Intel 3D successes I pointed out earlier apply only to the 700-series Eee models.
I have been told (but can't confirm) that the more recent Eee models have an updated Intel graphics chip, and it seems that these newer devices are the really problematic ones.

sacredzero

#91 Post by sacredzero »

HI, I'm mostly new to linux, but I bought an Eee PC 701 4G last year, and I'm fed up of Xandros. I installed Puppeee on it recently, all well and good, but I cannot get the wireless to connect to the WPA network we have. I have tried using the default drivers that load, and the Windows drivers with ndiswrapper, but nothing seems to work. I downloaded the additional drivers in the first post, but have no idea what to do with them. Maybe that will sort it out, but I need to know what to do with them. Thanks.

fratermus

Re: new pupee

#92 Post by fratermus »

luther349 wrote:hey im back at it
I'm glad to see you're back!

fratermus

#93 Post by fratermus »

sacredzero wrote: I downloaded the additional drivers in the first post, but have no idea what to do with them. Maybe that will sort it out, but I need to know what to do with them.
Does the wireless appear to be functional (ie, can see your wifi router) but just can't connect to it, or does it not work at all?

sacredzero

#94 Post by sacredzero »

It can see it, but when I try and connect it times out. We have other PCs connected to it, so it is nothing wrong with the router itself.

luther349

#95 Post by luther349 »

make sure your selecting your correct enc mode. the wrong mode will make it timeout. or the driver may not support wpa. its been said and is in bugs of wpa long keys failing to work.

i am going to try those pets you posted and see if dri does indeed become stable.

still a no go on getting these dammed gma cards into dri. the only difference with the new drm module is x just locked up on boot rather then crash when i ran glxinfo. rerunning xorgwizerd like in the guide disabled dri again and even changing the driver back to i915 by hand would not re enable it.t

it just seems i have to wait on a xorg 7.4 puppy or build my own to get things fully supported. thanks for the help for the attempt.

sacredzero

#96 Post by sacredzero »

luther349 wrote:make sure your selecting your correct enc mode. the wrong mode will make it timeout. or the driver may not support wpa. its been said and is in bugs of wpa long keys failing to work.
I am selecting WPA, although pwireless or whatever it is, sees it as WEP (which I know it isn't) and the drivers might not support WPA, but the Window's ones do, and I have tried ndiswrapper to use them, but no luck.

luther349

#97 Post by luther349 »

heh the distro falls off the front of the fourms and people start asking for a eee puppy. looks like new eeepcs have changed there hardware in the seashell and 701sd. i was kinda avoiding updating until the 5x series came out due to those dri issues. but looks like im gonna have to.

Dromeno

Report about a working driver in AsusEEE 900 (Puppy 4.2.1)

#98 Post by Dromeno »

I have everyting -wireless WPA2- working on my Asus900 in Puppy 4.2.1, the ULTILEX version at

http://ultilex.linux-bg.org/ultilex-4.0.0.iso

after installing this driver and a restart:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=19687

I use a frugal install, ie I boot from thumbdrive

This version also works on the Acer One.

The most annoying bug is that there still does not seem to exist a puppy driver which can handle the wireless of the Asus 1000??

Hopefully that can be solved in Puppy Woof? (the 5 series?)

less annoying bug: the sound volume is very very weak. Even when SGmixer is set at maximum. I do not know if this is a puppy problem or an asus problem but most likely something of puppy since ubuntu, xandros and windows are able to play talk radio without the need of headphones. I have not found a puppy derivative yet which can produce sound at an acceptable volume on my asus 900.

tempestuous

#99 Post by tempestuous »

Dromeno wrote:The most annoying bug is that there still does not seem to exist a puppy driver which can handle the wireless of the Asus 1000??
That has been discussed, and explained before
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=41204

luther349

#100 Post by luther349 »

open alsamixer via term theirs a second volume control that does not get displayed in the gui crank that up. you will now have better sound it applys to any linux distro. my distro comes with madwifi.