Boxpup 413 Available

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Unhban

#21 Post by Unhban »

I managed to get my WN322G WiFi dongle going with BoxPup, thankfully (see my post above). For the problem and its answer, look here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 410#309410

Unh.

gray

Updated to r1

#22 Post by gray »

Revision 1 update : see main post

Mysp

Another download mirror for DeltaPup: no password required

#23 Post by Mysp »

You can download Boxpup 413 also from following URL. Fast direct download (esp. for users from Europe), User name/password, captcha or account is NOT required.
No wait (at least until total download limit is reached).

http://rapidshare.com/files/252278833/p ... boxpup.iso

wosifat

#24 Post by wosifat »

Is Revision 1 available on any of the mirrors? I know there have been problems with Puppy Asia. I did get Revision 1 downloaded, and I'll play around with it. Thanks for all you do, gray.

lowpine

#25 Post by lowpine »

lisek wrote:
Did you try with acpi=off option? Better for old hardware...
No, I didn't try this option yet.
But luckily it's not problem with hd or cdr because I've just tried puppy 4.21 retro edition and it works ok. No failure with the boot.
So I'm thinking, Boxpup 413 is for newer PCs.
I probably can't install Boxpup 413 on my old AD 2001 PC.
Pity.
new linux/pup user here, I'm running into the same problem. I'm also running on an old laptop (128MB ram). I've tried the acpi=off option without success.

I'm able to boot my desktop with the cd, so the disc is OK.

Have you come to a resolution on this?

thanks

gray

Boxpup retro

#26 Post by gray »

lowpine wrote:
Have you come to a resolution on this?
Yup, use boxpup-retro-421.iso from

http://download.tuxfamily.org/nop/

rainyday

xlock

#27 Post by rainyday »

Hi,

You have created a truly beautiful puplet... Thanks.

This could be me being dumb but I can't seem to
re-set the password in xlock.
I initially selected the xlock icon expecting it
to ask for a password but it just locked up the screen
(matrix) and wouldn't let me back in.
Tried clearing PW etc but no luck... Any ideas please.

Feel free to berate if this is me throwing a stupid. ;)

Thanks.

...rainyday

wosifat

#28 Post by wosifat »

I have the same problem, rainyday. The switch on my laptop that shuts off the screen when you close it is broken, so I want to know how to manually shut the screen off, but when I tried setting to screen saver and locking the screen, it wouldn't let me back in.

aragon

#29 Post by aragon »

guys as a little workaround (if boxpup uses the same locking mechanism as default puppy):

you're not completely locked out, just do Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to get out of X. Then start openbox again with i think

Code: Select all

xwin openbox-session
just a workaround. please note: all your apps will be closed...

aragon

wosifat

#30 Post by wosifat »

Hey, grey. In Revision 1, how do you change the format of the clock by the CPU activity meter in the bottom right of the screen? It's displaying hours and minutes in 24 hour format, I want 12 hour format. I know the srtftime code, I just don't know what file to edit. Thanks.

gray

clock

#31 Post by gray »

wosifat:

Edit the conky file /root/.rc_cpu

wosifat

#32 Post by wosifat »

Thanks bunches as always, gray.
By the way, is there any way to change what icons are used by Thunar and the drive icons on the side of the screen? I found a set of icons called JQ8flat-lite that I love, but I hate the ones Thunar uses by default.

Roy

#33 Post by Roy »

Gray,

First, let me tell you that I am an admirer of your work! However, I am having problems with Opera in Boxpup 413r1....

When I log in to my Hotmail account, everything appears -- for a very brief period -- as normal, then disappears. Just a white screen remains.

I reverted back to Boxpup 413 (with Firepup) and added an Opera .sfs that works normally, but what am I missing in revision 1?

-Roy

Sit Heel Speak

#34 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

I have posted fonting improvement packages for both 412 boxpup and 413-r1 boxpup, and would appreciate feedback.

Max Uglee

#35 Post by Max Uglee »

Roy wrote:...I am having problems with Opera in Boxpup 413r1....

When I log in to my Hotmail account, everything appears -- for a very brief period -- as normal, then disappears. Just a white screen remains.

I reverted back to Boxpup 413 (with Firepup) and added an Opera .sfs that works normally, but what am I missing in revision 1?
I had the same problem with opera 10 beta in Ubuntu 8.04 (using IceWm if that matters). I put firefox on and it worked ok (just slower :( ). Ever since hotmail became M$ live or whatever it has really gone down hill, go figure. Although this was the worst, I have seen other probs with hotmail in firefox and google chrome. I realize it is a pain to switch over but if you can I would get a gmail or even maybe a yahoo account.

Roy

#36 Post by Roy »

Yes, Hotmail can certainly be a bother. I actually maintain accounts with several different web providers that enables me to use their web-based chat sessions and give one specific e-mail account for ‘registering’ software, a different account for business issues, another for the anticipated receipt of spam, etc. The first time I had problems with the then -new and -improved version of Hotmail, Sit Heel Speak came through with this fix: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=251068 (using the Seamonkey browser, not Opera). Gray has since caught my attention with his full featured Puplets that don’t require a lot of hard-drive real estate.

Can’t say that I want to stop using any of those accounts, which leaves me with the same question, “…what am I missing in [Boxpup 413] revision 1?
Last edited by Roy on Wed 05 Aug 2009, 06:18, edited 1 time in total.

Sit Heel Speak

#37 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

(words eaten by poster)
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Fri 07 Aug 2009, 01:04, edited 1 time in total.

Roy

#38 Post by Roy »

Disregard. Posted in another thread.

-Roy

gcoyne

Obmenu installation for Openbox

#39 Post by gcoyne »

Hi all

I am busy setting up Boxpup 413 with all the applications I like to use. I wanted to edit the Openbox Menu and I see that there is a utility app to do this called Obmenu. Has anybody installed this and the necesarry dependencies and got it working? I have tried but cannot get it working. Could anybody give me step by step instructions or point me to a pet file?

Thanks in advance

Greg

omskates

#40 Post by omskates »

Has any member tried FireDog browser suite with BoxPup 413? I think I will....tomorrow :D