Can't connect to wireless network

Booting, installing, newbie
wyldekey

Can't connect to wireless network

#1 Post by wyldekey »

I've tried the Live CD of Puppy 4.2 and would like to install it on my Dell Latitude D610, but I just cannot get it to connect to my wireless network.When I do the scan it detects my network and my neighbor's too. But when I enter my password into ESSID and click use this profile, it tries and then goes back to cannot connect! I'm pretty new to Linux, but have had no trouble connecting with Ubuntu, Linux Mint and several other distro Live CD's I've tried.
Any ideas?

spongedaddy

#2 Post by spongedaddy »

Make sure you click Save once you've entered everything. Then click Use this Profile.

Once you're back at the menu, test for a live network. If it still doesn't work, click Advanced and enter your network ID. Click Save > Use this Profile > test connection.

I had to add the AP MAC address on my HP laptop to get a connection, but on my old Dell OptiPlex I didn't.

Just make sure you follow all the steps in the menu even if you think you've done them already.

Hope this helps.

wyldekey

#3 Post by wyldekey »

I've tried again to connect and this time it actually says I'm connected to the wireless network, the icon appears in the panel and looks like it's connected, but when I use the web browser there's no connection. I know my wireless DSL modem is working. When I reboot back into Linux Mint it automatically connects no problem.
What is an AP MAC address, and how do I find out what mine is?

spongedaddy

#4 Post by spongedaddy »

MAC address definition (thanks, Wikipedia):
In computer networking, a Media Access Control address (MAC address) is a unique identifier assigned to most network adapters or network interface cards (NICs) by the manufacturer for identification, and used in the Media Access Control protocol sublayer. If assigned by the manufacturer, a MAC address usually encodes the manufacturer's registered identification number. It may also be known as an Ethernet Hardware Address (EHA), hardware address, adapter address, or physical address.
To find your MAC address

1. Open rxvt.
2. Type "iwlist ath0 scan" at the prompt.
3. Press Enter. A list of available networks appears.
4. Check the list for the one that you are using successfully with Mint. The format will be "Cell 01 - Address: 00:nn:na:aa:na:aa" where n = number 0-9 and a = alphabet A-F, basically six groups of hexadecimal digits.

Anyway, do everything like a normal setup in order. Click Advanced to get to the MAC address field. Enter the address. Save > Use this profile > test connection > configure DHCP > Done.

Hope this helps.

Burn_IT

#5 Post by Burn_IT »

Are you using WEP or WPA for your security key?
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

davywavy

#6 Post by davywavy »

I had similar problems. I always made sure I had only had the driver I needed loaded then used the following procedure in network wizard.

1. Select my wlan.
2. Run DHCP and if succesful, save configuration.
3. Go into "wireless", scan, select correct network, hit "WEP" and type in encryption key. Save it, then use profile. This then suggests I am connected but;
4. Run the DHCP again.

I have the wireless pwidget activated. As soon as I perform step 4, I see from the pwidget that I have a connection and can then browse.
I have no idea why I have to run DHCP a second time but this method works for me every time. Hope you get it sorted.

If you get it working, go to
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=43717
and download the package. You can remaster your system, including you connection settings, make a new disc and then you will be connected from boot up.

wyldekey

#7 Post by wyldekey »

Thanks for all the advice, but this is way too much of a hassle to do something that takes me about 10 seconds to do with Linux Mint, or Xubuntu or Zenwalk, or several other distros I've tried.
I guess I'll stick with Mint XFCE. It looks great and works great. I just thought I'd experiment with something that might be a little spunkier on an older machine.

davywavy

#8 Post by davywavy »

The connection wizard is far from perfect. It took me DAYS to work it out. Maybe the more experienced puppy/linux users could get their heads together and make it better.

You only get one chance to make a first impression.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Re: Can't connect to wireless network

#9 Post by Béèm »

wyldekey wrote:I've tried the Live CD of Puppy 4.2 and would like to install it on my Dell Latitude D610, but I just cannot get it to connect to my wireless network.When I do the scan it detects my network and my neighbor's too. But when I enter my password into ESSID and click use this profile, it tries and then goes back to cannot connect! I'm pretty new to Linux, but have had no trouble connecting with Ubuntu, Linux Mint and several other distro Live CD's I've tried.
Any ideas?
The password should not be entered in essid.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]