Opera v.s. Seamonkey; SMTP Settings for Yahoo & Netscape

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
yorkiesnorkie

Opera v.s. Seamonkey; SMTP Settings for Yahoo & Netscape

#1 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

I've edited this a couple of times. I quote my settings that actually work in Seamonkey and Opera. However, these settings were not quite identical.
Hi,

Quite some time ago I had some difficulty with Seamonkey and getting it to work with "smtp.mail.yahoo.ca". As you may recall from that post of so long ago I had been trying to use yahoo to send mail. The problem I had was that I kept getting a message that the smtp server wasn't accepting the connection.
The message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server smtp.mail.yahoo.ca failed. The server may be unavailable or is refusing connections. Please verify that your smtp server setting is correct and try again.
The reason I want to use both my ISP and Yahoo is for reasons of privacy. My yahoo mail I use widely, but my private ISP mail address I seldom give out. In Seamonkey I have a default and yahoo smtp server set up. Under the Yahoo server settings I specify that I want it to use the yahoo smtp server.
At the time of my original complaint I'd been using wireless and a local high speed provider and eventually gave up trying to make smtp.mail.yahoo.ca work properly in favour of just going with "mail.ispcompanyname.ca", and port 25. So, I thought it was over...

The only thing is now that I'm back on dialup I keep running into my old nemesis the smtp error message. Any message I send with an attachment through my isp or yahoo ends up with the smtp server(s) refusing to accept the document.

This "smtp refusal error" appears to be a common problem with some mail clients like Seamonkey and Mozilla Thunderbird. I decided to give Opera a try. After downloading Opera 9.2.3 for Puppy, and setting it up I can now send and receive to both yahoo's smtp mail server and my own isp' smtp mail server.
Update: After some trial and error I found that the settings I was recommended to be using do not work well with Seamonkey. I've posted additional settings for Seamonkey that do work. They are not quite the same as those that work in Opera.
Here are the settings that do work in Opera 9.2.3:

Note that in Opera when you first add a mail account it'll prompt you for some basic information, your name, your username, your password but you have to go further and manually edit this connection after saving it.

Go to Tools/Mail and Chat Accounts/ Add or select and edit / then the server tab/
To receive mail enter "pop.mail.yahoo.ca"
Port "995"
Check Use TLS
Authentication "Auto (plaintext)
Username your username
Password your password

To send mail enter "smtp.mail.yahoo.ca"
Port "465"
Check Use TLS
Authentication choose "Auth Login" from the dropdown list
Username your username
Password your password
The settings I use for my ISP netscape.ca are as follows:
To receive mail enter "mail.netscape.ca"
Port "110"
UNCHECK Use TLS
Authentication "Auto (plaintext)
Username your username
Password your password

To send mail enter "mail.netscape.ca"
Port "587"
UNCHECK Use TLS
Authentication choose "Auth Login" from the dropdown list
Username your username
Password your password
Now, having got this working in Opera I went through some trial and error to work out a combination of settings that do work in Seamonkey.
Update: Use the settings below for Seamonkey:

I got Seamonkey working, sending both text and files. However the settings are different than what I expected and they are not quite the same settings used in Opera:

Netscape.ca:

pop for netscape.ca: "mail.netscape.ca", port 110, use secure connection check the radio button for "TLS if available", leave unchecked use secure authentication

smtp for netscape.ca "mail.netscape.ca", port 587, check the box for use name and password, use secure connection: check the radio button for "no"

Yahoo.ca:

pop for Yahoo.ca: "pop.mail.yahoo.ca", port 110, use secure connection check the radio button for "TLS if available", leave unchecked use secure authentication

smtp for Yahoo.ca "smtp.mail.yahoo.ca", port 25, check the box for use name and password, use secure connection: check the radio button for "TLS if available"
Update: I find Opera a little confusing to use compared to Seamonkey but it was easier to setup in that it worked flawlessly from the get go using the setting information obtained from both my ISP and Yahoo.ca.

I hope this helps others.

Yorkiesnorkie
:D
Last edited by yorkiesnorkie on Thu 13 Aug 2009, 12:37, edited 5 times in total.

Benboom

#2 Post by Benboom »

I just started using Puppy Linux today and I ran into exacty the same problem. I normally use Opera (on a Mac) and I have had a lot of trouble with Thunderbird doing what you describe - that's one reason I started using Opera. There is no setting I can find for Seamonkey in Puppy Linux that will let me send and receive mail; it just won't do it. Opera works fine. I also like Seamonkey but I had deleted it from my Mac entirely and I think that's what its likely fate is on my old Puppy laptop.

yorkiesnorkie

Seamonkey partially works

#3 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

Hi Benboom,

Yeah, its very odd behaviour. I noted that port 25 worked on my former ISP using wireless and as long as TLS and SSL were not involved, the username and password seemed sufficient.

In Seamonkey I can download my netscape.ca mail without any problem using the standard settings. However, with my current ISP (netscape.ca) I had to change the smtp port to 587. in Seamonkey's settings I changed to" TLS if available". Sending mail works in Seamonkey as long as I don't sent anything but text. The minute I send a very large graphic jpeg, either the mail goes through or I get the smtp error. There's no predicting when a message will get rejected. Sometimes that doesn't happen until 80% of the message is delivered. That is a problem.

Yahoo.ca, well In Seamonkey I can download mail via pop (having set it up at Yahoo) using the recommended port settings. However in Seamonkey no mail can be sent, it all gets rejected at the moment.

Its funny you should mention Macs because one of the SMTP error messages I found, the same one we get, had to do with Thunderbird. There were lots of others in the same vein. We are not alone. There was even a complaint that the problem had been noted but not addressed, since it went way back.

Up until now I'd not had any problems. However Opera works in every way using the settings I'd been using in Seamonkey so, why does it work and not Seamonkey? I can't say. I just know Opera is working, doing everything I need it to do. Seamonkey is on my backburner until its fixed.

Yorkiesnorkie
:D

Benboom

#4 Post by Benboom »

After trying really odd stuff I finally got Seamonkey to work, receiving AND sending mail but the solution was so weird I still don't know what to think. I had to uncheck "use name and password" in the Outgoing Servers' Security and Authentication option. This is the exact opposite of what Opera needs and it is too strange that one setting works for one browser and the other setting works in the other browser; you'd think they are mutually exclusive!

Who but a desperate person would ever even think of this?

yorkiesnorkie

Netscape and Yahoo.ca Settings that Work in Seamonkey

#5 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

Ok,

I got Seamonkey working, sending both text and files. However the settings are totally different than what I expected and they are not quite the same settings used in Opera:

Netscape.ca:

pop for netscape.ca: "mail.netscape.ca", port 110, use secure connection check the radio button for "TLS if available", leave unchecked use secure authentication

smtp for netscape.ca "mail.netscape.ca", port 587, check the box for use name and password, use secure connection: check the radio button for "no"

Yahoo.ca:

pop for Yahoo.ca: "pop.mail.yahoo.ca", port 110, use secure connection check the radio button for "TLS if available", leave unchecked use secure authentication

smtp for Yahoo.ca "smtp.mail.yahoo.ca", port 25, check the box for use name and password, use secure connection: check the radio button for "TLS if available"

Note I'm now sending and receiving mail in Seamonkey. I haven't sent large files over 1mb so its hard to say if I'll run into the same smtp error.

Yorkiesnorkie

yorkiesnorkie

Sylpheed

#6 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

Sylpheed works too with yahoo.ca. I'd never used it before (preferred Seamonkey).

Under the send tab I have smtp authentication checked, I entered the username and password, I have authenticate with pop3 before sending checked, Under SSL tab I have the dont use ssl radio buttons checked for pop3 and smtp, under Advanced tab I have the default ports 110 and 25 set.

Yorkiesnorkie