Fatdog2 Alpha 3

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
kirk

Fatdog2 Alpha 3

#1 Post by kirk »

Same packages as Alpha 2, cut some fat, the ISO is now 135MB. Fonts are now almost all ttf. You'll see a folder in /root named Fonts that you can add extra fonts to if you like. See the Alpha 2 post for some more details:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=43890

Fixed some bugs, PPblog works now. You can get the iso here:

http://www.filedropper.com/fatdog200a3 (135MB)

md5sum a7a1d9dbffab48d9e93c955feb6acb12

And the devx file:

http://www.filedropper.com/fd-devx200_2 (165MB)

md5sum a008b485b81a2cc6fb4e09de2ba34e1f
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(30.18 KiB) Downloaded 2686 times

Nym1

#2 Post by Nym1 »

Thank you for this update to the "Fatdog" series. This version behaves better with the "Intel(r)GM965/PM965/GL960 Graphics Controller Hardware" than Fatdog 111 does.

I observed the following when "net-setup.sh " was run from a terminal in an attempt to determine why the Network Wizard was failing to get a WPA-encrypted connection:

Code: Select all

# net-setup.sh
EXIT="Ready"
ifplugstatus: error while loading shared libraries: libdaemon.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/usr/sbin/net-setup.sh: line 1013: ifplugstatus-0.25: command not found
The missing files/symlinks were copied from Fatdog-111, placed in appropriate locations in Fatdog-2-alpha3, and now the Network Wizard works as one would expect it to.

With Gratitude,

Nym1

kirk

#3 Post by kirk »

Thanks for the fix!

That's interesting news about your Intel(r)GM965/PM965/GL960. When Xorg 7.4 first came out last year the intel support was very poor, due to their migration to a new driver. In fact that new driver is not being used right now in Fatdog due to the old 2.6.28 kernel. I'll have to go to a newer kernel for the new intel and ati drivers to get loaded. I was considering down grading to Xorg 7.3, in fact right now I'm trying to do a T2 build with all the same packages except with xorg downgraded. Maybe it's a mistake to look back.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

Kirk,
Yes, I've been wondering that myself, whether it would be better to press ahead with 7.4, hoping the problems will get fixed.

There is of course Xfree86, which seems to be more conservative pace of development. ...I was thinking of downloading it and compiling, but it is very different to configure, rather difficult as I recall.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

kirk

#5 Post by kirk »

Conservative might be too kind. There's almost nobody using it anymore, and I'm not sure the proprietary drivers (ATI - Nvidia) support it anymore. I've got one computer that uses Nvidia, and without the proprietary driver, it really stinks.

Have you tried Xorg 7.4 with a 2.6.29 or newer kernel on intel hardware? I'm wondering how the new intel drivers work compared to the old.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#6 Post by BarryK »

Yes:

http://puppylinux.com/blog/?viewDetailed=00802

I have put Upup on hold because of the Intel video driver.

That was a big reason why I have been working on the 4.x series recently. My latest 416-preliminary even has the old i810_drv.so out of Puppy 3.01 (Xorg 7.2) and it has worked fine on two systems I tested so far.

So, in the case of Intel, looking back is good.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Schism

Doesn't work for me.

#7 Post by Schism »

I wanted to try fatdog out. But i don't get past the xorgwizard screen's. I had the same problems with Newyearspuprc10. Though I had to use my save file from rc7. I have a Nvidia card, I believe it's a 7500 series, it's on a laptop.
Upup works right out of the box when it comes to resoulution and connecting with wi-fi.

MY PC:
Compaq Presario F750US laptop
1.9GHz Processor
1G RAM
Nvidia 7500 series Card?( I'll have to check this)

escucha

WOW!!

#8 Post by escucha »

Any problem at all in load woof alpha3... it all works for me! .
My congratulations captain Kirk.
Awaiting the final version.
Thanks for Mozilla (Shiredoto) ana The Gimp last version.

Only a little trouble.. Cant find my sp (spanish\catalan) keyboard.

TX

kirk

#9 Post by kirk »

Thanks guys for trying it out.

Schism,

You probably have a Video chip that Xorg can't identify. If you can get out of the X server, you could try xorgwizard-org that's the old (normal) xorgwizard. For the next alpha Fatdog will probably be on Xorg 7.3.

escucha,

I left some keymaps out. I'll put them back for the next version.

escucha

How install to HD

#10 Post by escucha »

Many times continuous trying and proving fatdog2alpha3
I have been able to put my keyboard layout by means of putting a 105 keyboard and next the Spanish but only can try from the live CD
I can not make installation to the hard disk
not working the grub MBR instaler!
can you help me to try it from a neat Hd instalation?

TX

kirk

#11 Post by kirk »

I haven't tried a Full install with grub yet. I'll try to do that this week and see what going on with it. Thanks for checking it out.

raffy

cant find it

#12 Post by raffy »

Hope there is a newer fatdog - cant find it anymore in the download link.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

kirk

#13 Post by kirk »

Yes, I need to upload it. I did another T2 build with the same packages except that I downloaded the T2 trunk from last summer (revision 30200 I think), which has xorg-server 1.4.2 (the last Xorg 7.3 server) and used the xorg packages from it. Well except for pixman, the newer one is needed for the latest Cairo.

I did like a lot of things about Xorg 7.4, auto-configuration, better font handling, but Xorg 7.3 seems to be better for Intel chips. Also, ATI dropped support in it fglrx driver for any card over about 2 years old with Xorg 7.4. So Fatdog alpha 4 will have Xorg 7.3 along with all the latest packages. I've removed openbox-lxpanel, scribus, and pdfedit, other than that it's the same. Now it's about 124MB.

I also made a more Puppy like build with Gimp, Kompozer, and Xorg dri support removed, it's about 93MB. Of course I'm kind of cheating, I'm using squashfs-lzma. I'll upload these soon. I'd like to test a full hard drive install with grub first, but right now the computer that I'd use for that is tied up trying to build a 64bit version of Fatdog.

stevoomba

#14 Post by stevoomba »

I can't find the file
???