pFind 6.3

Filemanagers, partitioning tools, etc.
ttuuxxx

#281 Post by ttuuxxx »

disciple wrote:I thought you didn't believe in Pfind :)
Is your searchmonkey broken like mine is?
I don't believe in abusing/over extending gtkdialog, vala or C would do a much better of job with resources, gtkdialog is great for small thing not media players/burners. But puppy 415 has a faulty gtk, and I hope it gets replaced, SearchMonkey isn't broken its the puppy version that is. Pfind does work, and it should for over 100+ fixes/updates to its name, really its just a search engine, nothing more, nothing less, sooner or later it should be stable enough to be put back into puppy, Since Barry yanked it out a couple of days ago. I have Searchmonkey in 2.14.1X only and it works great. Also used it in previous 4 versions and upup, only 4.15 does it not work.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

disciple

#282 Post by disciple »

SearchMonkey isn't broken its the puppy version that is.
I'm not running 4.15. I'm running 4.1.1, and searchmonkey used to work in it, but for some reason it just finds zero files now. I haven't done anything to gtk or anything :(
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#283 Post by disciple »

really its just a search engine, nothing more, nothing less
Tell that to the judge :)
find is really just a search engine.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

ttuuxxx

#284 Post by ttuuxxx »

disciple wrote:
SearchMonkey isn't broken its the puppy version that is.
I'm not running 4.15. I'm running 4.1.1, and searchmonkey used to work in it, but for some reason it just finds zero files now. I haven't done anything to gtk or anything :(
sounds like a config issue, delete /root/.searchmonkey <---Hidden folder, then run it and set it up again in the preferences.
I also just got Searchmonkey in 4.15 like 5 mins ago, I reused a gtk I compiled in 4.2 and it worked, when I ran it from the command line it still had some errors, but it works, so Its a clear indication that Gtk is partial fault.

ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

disciple

#285 Post by disciple »

Sigmund - if Pfind doesn't find anything, once again it is opening an empty results window after the message that no files were found... instead of opening a search window or the previous results window.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

zigbert

#286 Post by zigbert »

Sigmund - if Pfind doesn't find anything, once again it is opening an empty results window after the message that no files were found... instead of opening a search window or the previous results window.
I know, I know, I know, I know :D
It's just that it's tricky to work within 2 different apps.
I don't think showing last result is a good option. I find it more misleading.

But it's not forgotten :)
Sigmund

aragon

#287 Post by aragon »

wouldn't it be better to show the last searchwindow?

if i have done an unsuccessful search i maybe want to alter my phrase and try it again.

so if i've done a simple search, open up the simple-gui with the last phrase. if i've done an advanced search, open up the advanced-gui with my last settings (might be more difficult...)

just my opinion
aragon

zigbert

#288 Post by zigbert »

aragon

That should be the target.......

zigbert

#289 Post by zigbert »

Version 4.10
See main post

changelog 4.10
- Tooltips support.
- Improved sort.
- Updated exec commands for 4.3
- Bugfix: App killed at startup if xwininfo missed. (thanks to sketchman)
- NLS: Added LOC800

zigbert

#290 Post by zigbert »

Version 4.11
See main post

changelog
- New gui for simple searching. Including path-presets.
- Use gtkdialogs internal tooltips support.
- Keep search-text and search-paths when entering advanced mode.

disciple

#291 Post by disciple »

Nice. But I notice:
- it's not that obvious what the first two options mean. Why not add a tooltip listing all the paths and [OR]s?
- Personally I think we probably don't need the "all files" option - it will just encourage people to use it, not knowing that it can cause problems. Or maybe there could be a tooltip explaining these?
- I think /opt should be included in the search paths.
- There is now a huge inconsistency in pfind:
1) a simple gui with 4 choices of search path, that you can't get back to from the search results window.
2) an advanced gui with manual search path entry and without the 4 choices
3) a search box in the results gui with no choice of search path.

Surely there is a more consistent way to do this?
Is it possible to use a search-path field like in the advanced gui, but also with a drop down menu that includes the four options? I suppose you can't have a file selector button and a drop-down menu button for the same field...

BTW, does the "all files" option exclude /proc? I just looked at it quickly, and it seemed that it didn't, but maybe it is just that the exclude list isn't remembered when I click to do an advanced search (so I can see where it actually searched).

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#292 Post by disciple »

Ah - found a bug too.
If I cancel a search and get returned to the search dialogue (because nothing was found yet), then select a different option for "Where to Search", it ignores the new option and just searches in the same place as my cancelled search.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

zigbert

#293 Post by zigbert »

Version 4.12
See main post

needs pfilesearch 1.19

To meet disciples input.
Please give feedback.

disciple

#294 Post by disciple »

It gives me a new search window, so the old results window stays open and useable. I'm not sure if that's how you meant it, but I certainly like it :)

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

zigbert

#295 Post by zigbert »

It gives me a new search window, so the old results window stays open and useable. I'm not sure if that's how you meant it, but I certainly like it
I like it too, - but I was curious about disciples opinion :D

I have not added the search-path presets to the advanced mode. This is in fact another project (pfilesearch), so I want to have things clear before I add something there. We don't need bad code 2 places. In fact, I wait for disciple (or others) to find better labels on the new radiobuttons. My english sucks, and my guis suffers of it until someone clean things up.

Any comments on the chosen search-paths ? They can easily be changed in /root/.pfind/pfindrc

How is search speed for you ? Do you 'feel' any improvement ?

Sigmund

disciple

#296 Post by disciple »

I have not added the search-path presets to the advanced mode. This is in fact another project (pfilesearch), so I want to have things clear before I add something there. We don't need bad code 2 places.
Yes, I can't help thinking you'll find a better solution for that, that will also be ported back to the simple gui.
Any comments on the chosen search-paths ?
Just my previous suggestion to include /opt in the "Puppy base system". People like to install things there these days... especially if they are in an .sfs add-on.
And maybe it would be good to add an option that is the last custom path used in the advanced search.
They can easily be changed in /root/.pfind/pfindrc
Ah - thanks, that's just what I wanted, but I thought I'd keep the suggestions to a minimum and just edit the program itself :)
How is search speed for you ? Do you 'feel' any improvement ?
Do you mean you've also redone some of the code so that the pfind gui (not the actual search) is faster? Or do you mean just because I don't have to type in all those directories and [OR]s manually? :)
Searching in initrd and proc and places is extremely slow, so I don't run searches in /.
In fact, I wait for disciple (or others) to find better labels on the new radiobuttons.
OK, these ones are hard - after a day to think about it, the best I can suggest is changing "Puppy base system" to "Puppy" or "Puppy files" (I prefer "Puppy files"), but someone could argue that isn't even an improvement :(
You might also like to change "Current dir: ..." to "Current directory" and put the path in a tooltip instead... otherwise the window will end up really, really wide if you run pfind from somewhere with a very long path.
My english sucks
It's a lot better than some of the native English speakers around here :)

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#297 Post by disciple »

disciple wrote:otherwise the window will end up really, really wide if you run pfind from somewhere with a very long path.
Or does long text on radio buttons wrap?

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#298 Post by disciple »

Also, since you have a big search button in the results window now, I think it might as well say "New Search" on the button.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#299 Post by disciple »

disciple wrote:And maybe it would be good to add an option that is the last custom path used in the advanced search.
I just realised it needs that option - if you use the advanced search to select a search path and the search doesn't find anything, you get taken back to the simple search, but when you search for something else, it searches in the same location, not the location selected in the simple gui.
---EDIT---
No, that obviously doesn't make sense. It needs to be fixed so it searches in the location that is selected.
-------

Also, there seems to be another bug - "cancel" doesn't work.
disciple wrote:It gives me a new search window, so the old results window stays open and useable.
I do prefer this, but in some situations I think people would find it quite annoying, so it might be good to make this an option...
Last edited by disciple on Sat 15 Aug 2009, 22:40, edited 1 time in total.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#300 Post by disciple »

Woah - that's bad. I didn't notice /sys was included in those search paths. On this machine it rapidly fills xerrs.log with messages that things are "part of a loop in the directory hierarchy; we have already visited the directory to which it points."
My xerrs.log is in /tmp, and it doesn't take too long before /tmp fills up and the machine stops working.

Also, pfind needs to respect the "Exclude" setting from pfilesearch. On this machine xerrs.log also fills up with the same sort of messages for things in my /root/.wine directory... so I need to have it excluded. But I'm sure there will be people who need to exclude to directories... what about them?

Also, I wonder if there is a way to suppress the stupid find error messages...
[/code]

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER