How to save settings to USB where Puppy is?

Booting, installing, newbie
hotdawg

How to save settings to USB where Puppy is?

#1 Post by hotdawg »

I am new for puppy, I use Ubuntu and Slax before, now I am using puppy also, I use the unetbootin to burn puppy image to the USB stick with 128 M bytes memory. I got two problems, please help me.

1 For the first time system on, it asks me config video and screen resolution, keypad layout, mouse port type and so on. I config them according request.
My question is, how can I disable these config screen at start time and config them according to my filling?

2 Each time system shutdown, it asks me to save settings to a file. I do not want save it but I want keep basic settings on my USB stick, such as keypad layout, mouse type, video and screen resolution?

Another strange behavior of puppy, since it can detect type of my hardware, why does not it configurate them automatically instead of popuping the screen? very strange.

Thanks for all people focusing me!

hotdawg

I have to clarify again

#2 Post by hotdawg »

The puppy version is 4.2.1, latest one, in my computer

I use UNETBOOTIN burn the image to USB stick, it has 122M availabe memory, I wont keep save.2fs in my usb disk and hard disk.

paulh177

#3 Post by paulh177 »

i think one way to do this is to remaster, which will create an ISO containing your existing settings, and then install to your USB key from that ISO. but this may be precluded because you are using unetbootin?

otherwise, there may be settings you can edit in Puppy configuration files in your existing installation to make the changes permanent and avoid Puppy asking to create a pup_save file on every shutdown.

others more knowledgable than me will need to help with that.