Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 21 Aug 2019, 16:27
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
ChoicePup4.1.2
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 19 of 27 [392 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, ..., 25, 26, 27 Next
CDR

PostPosted: Sun 07 Jun 2009, 23:00    Post subject:  

jrb,

Thanks for the quick response. I understand. Great work anyway on choicepup.

Have you seen the work by synth on Turbopup. What do you think of a turbo choicepup? Idea

Keep up the great work!
jrb

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jun 2009, 00:18    Post subject:  

I haven't really followed turbopup's progress. Not sure what synth has put together. I'll have to take a close look at his thread and see what's involved.

I'm kind of waiting to see what happens next with Puppy5.0, or Puppy2 for that matter, before I decide what to do next with ChoicePup. Besides, summers here and where I live you have to get it while you can. Wink

Cheers, J
seaside

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jun 2009, 18:12    Post subject:  

jrb wrote:
Hi CDR,
Livecd seems to be very fussy about the location of the .sfs files. I did a little bit of work with livecd a few weeks ago and, as I remember, found it would only mount "on the fly" if the .sfs files are on a hard disk or usb drive. This is disappointing as a livecd with the .sfs packages on it would very convenient.

Hope that helps, J

JRB,

I found it could work by making a DVD multisession disk, creating an /SFS directory with sfs files in it, and then saving.

After rebooting and mounting the DVD drive, and selecting the last saved folder, the SFS directory is now available for loading and unloading the sfs files.

One problem with this approach is that you have to remember which folder the SFS directory is in and any further additions will be in a different folder.

I guess a way to overcome that would be to make an SFS link in /root to that particular folder.

It's just amazing how versatile ChoicePup is and thanks again for your work..
Puppyt

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jun 2009, 20:15    Post subject:
Subject description: SFS in multisession DVDs

seaside -

that is Very Cool news! It goes a long way in squashing one of my Puppy pet peeves - any chance you could post a detailed 'how to' on the forum for ChoicePup and non-ChoicePup users, whenever you might find the time?
jrb

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jun 2009, 22:13    Post subject:  

seaside wrote:
I found it could work by making a DVD multisession disk, creating an /SFS directory with sfs files in it, and then saving

Well done, that's exciting. I agree with Puppyt, any chance of writing up a detailed HowTo?
seaside

PostPosted: Wed 10 Jun 2009, 12:16    Post subject:  

jrb wrote:
seaside wrote:
I found it could work by making a DVD multisession disk, creating an /SFS directory with sfs files in it, and then saving

Well done, that's exciting. I agree with Puppyt, any chance of writing up a detailed HowTo?

Sure -

Burn a puppy multi-session DVD.

Make a new directory named /SFS.

Download your favorite sfs files to /SFS

Save session and reboot

Mount cd/dvd drive (click on icon)

Click on the last saved folder (should be dated)

Drag the /SFS directory in the saved folder to /root in current filesystem and link

Click on this new SFS link and then select which sfs file to load with load_sfs.

Now, whenever you bring up a new session, there will be a link to load your sfs files.

NOTE:
There is one aspect to be aware of..... if you can't unload a loaded sfs, the current session cannot be saved......
tlchost

PostPosted: Wed 10 Jun 2009, 13:32    Post subject: Acer Boot problems  

I just discovered that my bootable USB drive does not work with an ACER 5100 laptop.

It boots....and hangs forever when it goes looking for the remainder of the files. The same USB works without fail on my desktop.

Thom
Puppyt

PostPosted: Wed 10 Jun 2009, 19:02    Post subject:  

Quote:
Sure -

Burn a puppy multi-session DVD.

Make a new directory named /SFS.

Download your favorite sfs files to /SFS

Save session and reboot

Mount cd/dvd drive (click on icon)

Click on the last saved folder (should be dated)

Drag the /SFS directory in the saved folder to /root in current filesystem and link

Click on this new SFS link and then select which sfs file to load with load_sfs.

Now, whenever you bring up a new session, there will be a link to load your sfs files.

Thankyou VERY much, seaside.
Artie

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jun 2009, 11:07    Post subject:  

I recommend you don't do anything with ChoicePup until Barry has finished upgrading 4.1.2 and then use the upgraded one as basis for the next ChoicePup. See http://puppylinux.com/blog/

Artie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
ICQ Number 
jrb

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jun 2009, 23:24    Post subject:  

Thanks Artie,
I have had a look at Barry's new Puppy218 but it uses unionfs instead of aufs to load sfs files and this seems to be incompatible with loading "on the fly".

I'm hoping the new Puppy412 will be both compatible and adaptable.

We live in exciting times (although sometimes I wish they would settle down a bit) Wink .
jrb

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jun 2009, 23:40    Post subject:  

I have uploaded two new packages to puppylinux.asia, ch-firefox-3.0.10.sfs and ch-Mplayer1rc2.sfs. Unfortunately I see, after the fact, that pupplinux.asia is down. Confused

I will upload them to puppylinux.ca ASAP although upload speed there is too slow to do it tonight. I will try again in the morning and I will also switch all the download links on page 1 over to puppylinux.ca.

I've been looking for a workable version of Mplayer for ChoicePup for some time and finally found MU's .pet. Smile It seems to work very well. I don't see any file opening capability in the GUI but you can drag files to it and they open or you can right click and choose MPlayer. Also if it is the first mediaplayer that you have loaded you can just click on the files and they will open and you can tell your browser to use defaultmediaplayer.
myogaeba

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jun 2009, 10:28    Post subject:  

Hi all,

i don't really succed to get virtualbox working here the screenshot when i launch my vurtual machine.

What must i do (or missed to do) ?

Maybe someone can make an sfs file for mimms : an mms stream downloader that i make working in this thread : http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=43615
virtualbox_bug.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  virtualbox_bug.png 
Filesize  61.77 KB 
Downloaded  476 Time(s) 
jrb

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jun 2009, 11:46    Post subject:  

The new MPlayer and Firefox are now at http://puppylinux.ca/members/choicepup/sfs/. My apologies for not giving the exact links but my internet connection is barely alive. Opera and Seamonkey are refusing to download much of anything but Netsurf is allowing me to continue, slowly.

myogaeba,
I will have a look at your situation as soon as my connection improves, hopefully tonight. I remember setting up virtualbox being quite involved, lots of steps. Also I couldn't get it to work when I tried putting the virtual drive on a linux ext3 partition.
nancy reagan

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jun 2009, 11:18    Post subject: unload_sfs.pet ?  

Hi Jrb,

I often use your choices with your "load_sfsxx.pet" outside Choicepup..

Sometimes I need your "unload_sfsxx.pet" nut I cannot find it.

(lcdcfg does not work for that reason).

Where can I find it ?

Thanks in advance.

What a success are you making.
jrb

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jun 2009, 12:25    Post subject:  

Hi nancy reagan,
I have placed sfs_load.pet on page 1. This contains load_sfs and unload_sfs as currently used in ChoicePup. I am using ldconfig412.pet as well which I think is posted somewhere else on the forum. I'll try to track it down.
Page 19 of 27 [392 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, ..., 25, 26, 27 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: