Canon printer installation problems

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
frefel

Canon printer installation problems

#1 Post by frefel »

This should be basic but I can't figure it out. Puppy 4.2, Thinkpad T22

In order to be able to print I need to install a driver for my Canon printer. I have obtained the driver and can install it in Ubuntu without a problem. In Puppy though it seems I need to install Dillo and pb_debianinstaller to do that. So I downloaded the Pet package for Dillo but get a long list of dependencies that it needs, but PackageManager doesn't offer me the option to add those. When I do a "dependency check" in PetGet Dillo is not listed as one of the apps. I have a Dillo icon in Menu but clicking on it does nothing so I'm assuming I somehow need to get those dependencies, but how?

A different problem for MPlayer: I downloaded it with Pet, checked for all dependencies -ok- but there is no Menu item for it. How can I get it up and running?

Thanks.
Last edited by frefel on Wed 17 Jun 2009, 20:21, edited 2 times in total.

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

What's the printer? Where did you get the driver?

muggins

#3 Post by muggins »

I don't know why the install would require dillo but, if you want to install it, there is the older gtk1 based version, and the newer fltk2 release. For the missing library files, for the gtk1 version, see this thread. For the fltk2 version see here.

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

As far as I can tell, pb_debianinstaller uses Dillo as its GUI interface. But frefel doesn't need either to install a .deb package. Puppy has command line tools that will do the job instead.

frefel

#5 Post by frefel »

rcrsn51 - I'm not very familiar with any more than the most basic command functions but if I had the exact sequence I might be able to do it. I got the printer driver download from the Canon Australia site as recommended in the Ubuntu forums. The printer is an Canon MF4270 ImageClass. The driver download comes in a Debian format in 2 packages that Ubuntu installs easily with its built-in installer. I'm assuming the same driver will work for the Puppy kernel also.

muggins - I'll check those out if I can't figure out how to do the command line install.

Any ideas on bringing the installed MPlayer to the menu and opening it?

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

First off, if you are using Puppy 4.2 with CUPS 1.4b, I would recommend that you "upgrade" to 4.2.1 with CUPS 1.3.10. This is the more stable version of CUPS, which makes it easier to work with.

You have probably observed that the download from Canon has both .deb and .rpm versions. You have also probably observed that the extraction program in Puppy 4.2.x won't open a .deb. But it is easier to get the installation scripts out of a .deb. So a manual approach is needed.

Since there are two packages, cndrvcups-common-xxx and cndrvcups-ufr2-xxx, you have to do everything twice.

1. Go to the folder where the .debs are saved and open a console by pressing the ~ key.

2. Type:

Code: Select all

dpkg-deb -x cndrvcups-common_1.80-1_i386.deb /
This extracts the files from the package and copies them into your filesystem.

3. Now type:

dpkg-deb -e cndrvcups-common_1.80-1_i386.deb 
Don't use a slash on this one! This creates a DEBIAN folder that contains the install scripts. The one you want is named postinst. Open a console and type:

sh postinst
This runs the post-install procedure.

4. Repeat the whole procedure with the second package cndrvcups-ufr2-uk_1.80-1_i386.deb

5. If every has worked correctly, run CUPS and add a printer from the Canon MF4200 series. I installed this myself to a phantom printer port and it looks OK.

Good luck.

Edit
To simplify the procedure, go here and get the "debbi" download. Then use it to install your two Canon packages:

debbi cndrvcups-common_1.80-1_i386.deb 
debbi cndrvcups-ufr2-uk_1.80-1_i386.deb
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Tue 16 Jun 2009, 00:42, edited 4 times in total.

muggins

#7 Post by muggins »

frefel,

if the file you're wanting to convert is UFR_II_Printer_Driver_for_Linux_Driver_V180_uk_EN.tar.gz, then if you just extract it to a temporary location, then, in the extracted directory, you'll have a directory 32-bit_Driver. Within that directory are directories for Debian & RPM. If you just enter the Debian directory, click on the two .deb files, to open them with the archiver, then extract them to / , then their contents will be extracted to the correct locations.

You would then just have to go through with the cups configuration to use the right driver.

I'm going on this link:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1140724

rcrsn51

#8 Post by rcrsn51 »

muggins wrote:click on the two .deb files, to open them with the archiver, then extract them to /
rcrsn51 wrote:You have also probably observed that the extraction program in Puppy 4.2.x won't open a .deb.
Take your pick.

muggins

#9 Post by muggins »

@rcrsn51,

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that.

rcrsn51

#10 Post by rcrsn51 »

The Xarchiver program in Puppy 4.2.x will open an RPM, but then you don't get to see the post-install script. Depending on the printer, it may be significant.

frefel

#11 Post by frefel »

rcrsn51 - your instructions are clear and concise and I think I'm almost there as now I'm getting a message "connecting to printer > network host 192.168.1.50 is busy". Looks like the computer and printer are communicating over the LAN but I'm not sure why the printer would be "busy" just turned on. I have not upgraded to Puppy 4.21 since an upgrade will be another project that I'd rather do after learning how to print. Maybe tho the 4.2 CUPS is causing the problem, as you implied.

Also is there a way to copy-paste script from your forum posting to RXVT?

This is also a great learning experience for use of the terminal as I have no idea how I would have gotten this far without your help.

rcrsn51

#12 Post by rcrsn51 »

How is this printer connected to your network? What device URI did you use?

You can paste into an rxvt window by middle-clicking.

frefel

#13 Post by frefel »

It's an ethernet > hub > LAN connection.
I used "socket://192.168.1.50:9100". I got the IP address from my printer settings. I also used LPD/LPR instead of IPP since that was the recommendation for Ubuntu.

rcrsn51

#14 Post by rcrsn51 »

Lots of sites I checked claim that this printer works with the socket:// protocol. Since it looks like you've got the correct IP address, I would wonder about the port number.

I simulated this with my own network printer by changing the 9100 to something else, and got a "busy" message.

Go to the printer's web interface or maybe its control panel and see if you can find the setting for the port number.

frefel

#15 Post by frefel »

Thanks to rcrsn51 I'm almost there.
I don't know what changed but, without making any intentional setting alterations, I can now print a test page from the CUPS wizard. However when I try to print something from AbiWord nothing happens. Do i need to associate it with the printer in some fashion?
And, by the way, the correct port setting is 9100 as viewed on my remote settings page thru the browser.

rcrsn51

#16 Post by rcrsn51 »

However when I try to print something from AbiWord nothing happens.
Is the printer listed in Abiword? If you look in the Jobs section of CUPS, did a print job ever make it out of Abiword?

As a general rule, if you can print a test page, then you should be able to print from applications.

I am running a simulated printer using your driver in Puppy 4.2.1 with CUPS 1.3.10 and I'm seeing none of your problems.

frefel

#17 Post by frefel »

OK, it was stupid me that hadn't highlighted the "canon" before trying to print. All is well and you don't know how much I appreciate your help rcrsn51 .
I have had pretty good success with these forums except that sometimes I get dropped before my problem gets solved. You, however stayed with me and I'm sure I couldn't have succeeded without your help as the Puppy install requires a knowledge of command line function which I do not yet know.
I also hope this thread will be useful to others trying to install a non-CUPS printer in Puppy..

rcrsn51

#18 Post by rcrsn51 »

Glad to help. Now please go back to your first message and edit the title to say [Solved].

levian

#19 Post by levian »

hi rcrsn51,

i am having trouble installing my Canon LBP3050 onto my puppy 4.2.1. i tried out the steps listed in

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Canon_LBP2900

but got stuck at "installation", with the command "rpmextract.sh *". it gave me the error "rpmextract.sh: command not found". i am not literate with linux, may i know what should i do next? thanks.

add on:
n when i tried with the another Canon LBP2900, i received the error message "Filter "pstocapt" for printer "2900" not available: No such file or directory". i can't find any reference on how to solve this error message in puppy linux, however some commands are available in ubuntu. i am running out of ideas, please help, anyone?