few niggly wiggly bits

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
reasonit

few niggly wiggly bits

#1 Post by reasonit »

There are few windows features that i kind of miss in linux. These are more like lil tweaks, but IMO they do make a difference....

1. in windows instead of having to click 'X' to close windows, one can simply click, the right-top corner to close a window. In puppy however , one must 'aim' at the 'X' . This works only if the window is maximized

2. similarly clicking at the left-bottom corner opens the start-menu

3. Windows 7 extended this ability by adding the show-desktop fuction to the right-bottom corner

4. Independent hotkeys: hotkeys are window manager specific.
It would be fantastic to have window manager/desktop environments independent hotkeys. Maybe some app that runs in the background.
I understand how linux works , and know why this isn't easy to implement. Which is why my suggestion : possible to add a windows style default-gui-desktop-thingy 'inside' puppy, that works with all window managers??

5. I really really miss the run command from windows - win+r. There has to a puppy equivalent.

ecomoney

#2 Post by ecomoney »

The functions you mention would be part of the JWM windows manager. You need to speak to a guy called "Patriot", he has a thread on here about JWM.

Im sure they would be welcome to the growing number of windows refugees we are seeing :D
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

droope

#3 Post by droope »

I really miss the win+d shortcut, it's so annoying not to have it :(

Well, i do prefer puppy to windows, just saying it'd be a great add to have it implemented.

TheProphet

#4 Post by TheProphet »

I always thought the win key was there to keep the alt and ctrl keys far enough apart that you don't hit the one when you meant to hit the other.

There's an older HOWTO about using xmodmap to set whatever hotkey combinations you want.

It starts out with a large warning not to muck about with it unless you really know what you want to do.

Which is probably why more people don't use it.

Ah, I just to check tried what works in both Gnome and KDE which is a ctrl +F2 combination to get the "run" command.

Forgot for a moment that I've an open program (this one) and it sticky-ed it to every desktop.

But that hotkey combination is there.
He who skydive without parachute, jumps to own conclusion.

Puppyt

#5 Post by Puppyt »

droope wrote:I really miss the win+d shortcut, it's so annoying not to have it :(
Right On! I am soooo Win+d City :oops: . While we are at it, I miss the entire Win+ suite, particularly Win+f (to open pFind perhaps) and Win+r to open the Run console.

It's all here http://productivity.ben61a.com/windows/ ... t-keys.php

DaveS

#6 Post by DaveS »

Add this line to your .jwmrc-tray file, (which is a hidden file in /root/), which should add an icon to your tray to give you a command line box

Code: Select all

<TrayButton icon="/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/start-button.png">root:3</TrayButton>
This is fine in Puppy 4.1, but have never tried it in 4.2. Should be the same though.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#7 Post by DaveS »

Add this line to your .jwmrc-tray file, (which is a hidden file in /root/), which should add an icon to your tray to give you a command line box

Code: Select all

<TrayButton popup="Run commandline" icon="gexec.xpm">exec:gexec</TrayButton>
This is fine in Puppy 4.1, but have never tried it in 4.2. Should be the same though.
Last edited by DaveS on Thu 18 Jun 2009, 05:22, edited 1 time in total.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Patriot

Re: few niggly wiggly bits

#8 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

@reasonit

1. Yes, I'm aware of that. Currently the buttons focus are contained within the caption bar (minus 1 pix, I think). Increasing focus may get 'em tangled with the resize function, so, I'll leave it to Joe if he wants to work on it. I'm not keen on entangling myself.

2. Same as 1.

3. Same as 1.

4. If KDE or Gnome is not your cup of tea then maybe xfce or lxde ?

5. Please look at my thread here on how to get winkey to work in Puppy generally and sample keybindings for JWM

I am unable to work on JWM currently. Sometime in mid-May, my development machines had hdd issues. It took me nearly two weeks to recover, re-certify and rebuild them. My machines are now back online but time is a luxury I don't have right now.

Rgds

smokey01

Hot keys

#9 Post by smokey01 »

Hot keys are very easy to setup in Puppy, well Puppy 4.2 anyway.

Unfortunately I have to use windows at work and I always use the Windows+E key combination to run windows explorer.

To have the same functionality in Puppy, do this:

1. On the desktop right click on the house icon (ROX).
2. Choose edit item.
3. Under where it says "The keyboard short cut is:" Click on the (Click to set button)
4. Now press the Windows+E key combination.
5. Press OK, you are done.

Now any time you press the Windows Key + the E key Rox will pop up.

The possibilities are endless.

Enjoy.

eztuxer

#10 Post by eztuxer »

Thanks Smokey !
Don't poop it down... Pup it Up !

`f00

dahditto

#11 Post by `f00 »

.. of making keycombos useful (easily and habitually recalled by the operator in some fashion) and getting them not to interfere with one another - I find this to be the case sometimes and it may also be exacerbated by wm-specific/'default' strokes (hey, Alt+F4 gives me the 4th desktop in E17, no mainmenu but there's the 1st desk usw .. good thing as rolling the scrollwheel to change desks like in jwm wasn't doing much until I nailed an appwindow in the pager with the pointer .. ah, good times with gui).

Mmm, sure you could make a 'master list' but will it serve as such? Even minimizing has some differences (to the tasklist? as an icon? available on how many desks/pages? docked with special contextmenu? .. and that's just 'minimizing' ;) ). Bear in mind console instructions and whether you focus sloppy, click or what have you and it gets to be fun (hats off to the nerDs who do console). Not to mention different wms or apps or file managers or imaging s/w or * and their ways (oops, too late :lol: ).

A whirl'd of variety :)

gary101

#12 Post by gary101 »

I miss having a functional delete key in Rox, Ctrl-X or right click is the only thing I find "Unnatural" in linux these days.

Gary
If it's not one thing it's your mother

battleshooter

Re: few niggly wiggly bits

#13 Post by battleshooter »

reasonit wrote:
4. Independent hotkeys: hotkeys are window manager specific.
It would be fantastic to have window manager/desktop environments independent hotkeys. Maybe some app that runs in the background.
I understand how linux works , and know why this isn't easy to implement. Which is why my suggestion : possible to add a windows style default-gui-desktop-thingy 'inside' puppy, that works with all window managers??
That's what Sven's for. Install it, and it doesn't matter what window manager you're using, the shortcuts still work. Just make sure Sven starts with your window manager. (e.g. drag it into the Startup folder)
5. I really really miss the run command from windows - win+r. There has to a puppy equivalent.
There is, it's called gexec. Just setup win+r to run that program.

Battleshooter
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94580]LMMS 1.0.2[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94593]Ardour 3.5.389[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94629]Kdenlive 0.9.8[/url]

smokey01

#14 Post by smokey01 »

Where can the missing library be found.

libgio-2.0.so.0

Thanks

smokey01

#15 Post by smokey01 »

gposil

#16 Post by gposil »

[img]http://gposil.netne.net/images/tlp80.gif[/img] [url=http://www.dpup.org][b]Dpup Home[/b][/url]

TheProphet

#17 Post by TheProphet »

Using Ctrl+ any four-digit number on the numeric keypad to enter non-English ASCII text.
He who skydive without parachute, jumps to own conclusion.

dr_willis

#18 Post by dr_willis »

> I miss having a functional delete key in Rox, Ctrl-X or right click is the
> only thing I find "Unnatural" in linux these days.

this is a feature of the rox filer where you an remap thekeys.

(if the feature is enabled, -> pull down a menu item, mouse over it.. hit the delete key. then hit the key to bind to the menu item.)

ie: mouse in the menus to the 'delete CTRL-X' menu item.. hit the delete key. that deletes the shortcut.. hit delete AGAIN and it is now bound to 'delete' :)

If its NOT setup/enabled..

Rox filer -> right click an icon -> options -> Menus --> [Setkeyboard shortcuts]

It says you cant change them :) you have to do the following..
User-definable shortcuts are disabled by default in Gtk2, and you have not enabled them. You can turn this feature on by:

1) using an XSettings manager, such as ROX-Session or gnome-settings-daemon, or

2) adding this line to ~/.gtkrc-2.0:
gtk-can-change-accels = 1
(this only works if NOT using XSETTINGS)

ive no idea what #1 is really saying.. (well i sort of know, but not sure how to do it) #2 is easy.

echo 'gtk-can-change-accels = 1' > ~/.gtkrc-2.0

Then restart/logout/in/or some thing like that. (i just rebooted) and try the method at the beginning to remap the menu shortcuts.