Forum member activity statistics

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
plumtreed

#41 Post by plumtreed »

I am very fond of Puppy. I use it regularly and I also ask for needed help on the forum.

Our home 'network' is Ubuntu because it was, for us, the first Linux we tried that worked! I had enough trouble converting 'she who must be obeyed' to Ubuntu so I doubt I could effect a change to Puppy.

From a purely marketing standpoint, I suggest that the name, Puppy, is a choice that conveys a secondary, immature image. A stronger name might change the general feeling and impart a stronger sense of confidence.

puppyluvr

#42 Post by puppyluvr »

:D
1. When a question is asked, it is assumed that the person posing the question knows the inner workings of Puppy (the answers are too confusing sometimes)

2. If a person cannot figure it out, a lot of times the person is treated like a dummy.
Sorry, I have to disagree...As one of the first to respond to unanswered posts, and one who monitors new posters posts carefully, I find that most of us respond with simplicity and kindness...(Unlike a few other Linux forums)....
We routinely help people, not only with Puppy, and other Distros, but even problems with Windoze too...
3. I am no Puppy pro in any sense of the word. I know Windows, but Puppy is still a mystery to me. I like Puppy a lot. But when I ask how to do something, I want step by step instructions, or I may not know what the heck I am doing.
This I agree with, and have harped on myself in numerous threads..
However, I believe the responders mean well, and assume a higher level of technical knowledge than may actually be there...
They are not treating you like a dummy, they are treating you like you are more knowledgable than you are...its kind of a compliment....

As for the rest, Ive said it before, and will again....
You were not born knowing windoze, you took your entire "computing life" to learn what you know....
Puppy has a much shorter learning curve, but it still has one...

I spent 20 years learning , in M$`s convoluted way, how my computer worked...
Only to find out I didnt learn a thing about my computer, just what windoze didnt hide from me...
2 years of Linux, mostly through Puppy, has cleared up a lot, but its like Stockholm syndrome, I thought they were my friends, and wanted to help me, but in the end it was all about the money...
Puppy is removing the brainwashing....My computer is a simpler toy now, and I TELL it what to do, not ASK it if its O.K...
To put it simply, I havent felt like my computer was a toy, that I controlled, since the C-64 / Basic days, since I opened my first DOS prompt..
M$ is like the computer version of a "Buzzkill"...........

My absolute favorite thing....Puppy has never, ever, asked me "Are you sure you want to do this"....(Why do you think I clicked it for, Vista, you @#$%^&*")..................

Its not just Puppy....Its not Linux / BSD / Solaris / Plan9 (lol) / ect...
Its M$...They have the general public convinced that the least secure OS on the planet is the only "safe" way to go....Fear works wonders....

Heres whats needed:
"Tonight on Dateline, (whatever)....
"Linux, what is it, how does it work, and why havent I heard of it before.."
Let `em see who "Big Brother" really is...
I love the "Conspiracy" websites running "Windoze" software....
Morons.....Dont trust the Government, but trust M$ and no other....
"Check out the video"...blah-blah-dot-WMA...LOL.....

Sorry, did I rant again..... :oops:

LateDeveloper

#43 Post by LateDeveloper »

I can mirror some of the posts on here by saying that when you get someone new to any forums that has people knowledgeable in a technical way, the new people get put off quite quickly by these so called egg heads not coming down out of the clouds and giving simple and coherent explanations to a problem.

Many people, including myself have a good deal of knowledge in that other O.S. but none in Linux, and cba to mess around with command line parameters after so many years of either writing code to avoid that or just so used to a system that works for the main part.

I use an embedded forum as well for writing firmware and you see exactly the same thing on there, some snotty answers by people that know what they are talking about, they are good for the experienced but have no idea on how to actually help people who are just starting out.

You see many people try to get some simple answers to questions and yet these members cannot drop down a few levels to help.

I am an active moderator on a very large forum, over 5,000 members who range from the very experienced to young school kids. I never forget that at one stage I knew little to nothing, so try to explain things in the simplest way possible, even taking it down a few notches if there is still incomprehension.

Forums need people who can accept that not everyone is at the same level as themselves, else the forum will dwindle to an elite few.

bugman

#44 Post by bugman »

anyone who is interested in distrowatch rankings might want to take a peek at this:

http://distrowatch.com/awstats/awstats. ... etail.html

hate to be a bummer, but very few puppies visiting today . . .

puppyluvr

#45 Post by puppyluvr »

Whats even sadder is that 51% of the hits on "DISTRO"watch were for Windoze...
Disturbing....

bugman

#46 Post by bugman »

puppyluvr wrote::D
Disturbing....
hey man, windows is a distro too . . .

:lol: :lol: :lol:

i noticed that though, very weird, maybe they're still trying to figure things out?

egomoney, distrowatch needs yer help!

[pretty colors]

aarf

#47 Post by aarf »

bugman wrote:anyone who is interested in distrowatch rankings might want to take a peek at this:

http://distrowatch.com/awstats/awstats. ... etail.html

hate to be a bummer, but very few puppies visiting today . . .
have had this suspicion for a while. lobster spends his spare time clicking the links to make puppy rise in the rankings on the front page of distrowatch. this attached image points to something similar or else puppians are so happy that they don't need to go back to distrowatch to even look for anything else (well you gotta be optimistic).
Attachments
lobster.spare.time.occupation.jpg
(37.54 KiB) Downloaded 1194 times

aarf

#48 Post by aarf »

more optimism: puppians use puppy derivatives which are showing up in the Unknown section. else awastats are not correctly identifying puppy genuine. also large numbers in the GNU Linux (unknown) section.
Attachments
uknown.jpg
(35.58 KiB) Downloaded 1184 times

WhoDo

#49 Post by WhoDo »

puppyluvr wrote::D
Disturbing....
No, this is an excellent sign! Those are potential Window$ refugees who are looking at Linux alternatives, or Linux users who are browsing Distrowatch from their corporate Window$ (work) machines! Either way its a very, VERY good sign IMHO.

What would worry me greatly is if there were very few Window$ users accessing Distrowatch. That would be very bad news since it would mean that Puppy's target audience was limited to distro switching LXer's.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

puppyluvr

#50 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Oh, I misunderstood.
I thought it ranked search querys, not the O.S. of the searcher....

bugman

#51 Post by bugman »

puppyluvr wrote::D Oh, I misunderstood.
I thought it ranked search querys, not the O.S. of the searcher....
take the page off the address

http://distrowatch.com/awstats/

you'll get the full monty, including queries

markofkane

#52 Post by markofkane »

Personally I need more excitement. More "tricks" sections to let a person try would make it more interesting for me. I've done almost everything I want to do with Puppy, except get Windows only programs to work with it.

I am not ready to give up Haptek player or UltraHal, which only works in Windows.

It's just me, I mean I'll still use Puppy as a hobby. :D

dogle

#53 Post by dogle »

I want to share WhoDo's optimism, it's grand to see windoze users taking a look at Distrowatch, long may it continue and grow (Thanks Bugman for the heads-up). At the same time, without wishing to spoil the party, I'm uncomfortably aware that a hit rate roughly equivalent to Ubuntu users reflects only a tiny proportion of the Redmond victims .... still a long way to go on this one.

Distrowatch is of course no indication of how many are actually using a distro and AFAIK there is just no way to get a handle on this - ideas, anyone?

Back on topic, use of this forum: LateDeveloper may have touched upon a Great Truth -
Forums need people who can accept that not everyone is at the same level as themselves, else the forum will dwindle to an elite few.

Well, I've long regarded this forum as 'elite' in terms of courtesy, good humour, helpfulness and expertise; it's the dwindling bit that bothers me. I seem to be seeing fewer queries which I can attempt to answer these days - by which I mean the technical expertise of the newcomer seems to be escalating.

Or else, I'm getting more stupid!

Seriously, though, I feel it would be a great shame if Puppy, contrary to all intentions, were becoming a distro for the nerdly. I do hope that's not happening.

puppyluvr

#54 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
As I see it, we have a new influx of refugee`s, not from `Doze, but from other Distros..
They are Puppy newbies, but not Linux newbies..
I try not to feel bad for oversimplication, when someone takes offense, because, with just a few posts, or even one, we can be expected to assume that it is warranted..
I would rather that than to leave some poor soul confused, as I have been there myself...(initrd what??)

Master_wrong

#55 Post by Master_wrong »

There have been 7236 users online since yesterday :: 257 Registered, 11 Hidden and 6968 Guests
(21 Registered, 2 Hidden and 80 Guests within the current hour)
I think that explain that pups aren't fleeing the kennels

ecomoney

#56 Post by ecomoney »

Source

This isnt exactly good news....

The "word on the street" is that Puppy Linux would be used a lot more if only it was more "usable".
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

bugman

#57 Post by bugman »

ecomoney wrote:The "word on the street" is that Puppy Linux would be used a lot more if only it was more "usable".
if it's so awful, WHY ARE YOU STILL HERE?

WhoDo

#58 Post by WhoDo »

ecomoney wrote:This isnt exactly good news....
Well that depends on your perspective, doesn't it? At least these days Linux is being counted, and if you add MacOSX to the Linux figures it's being counted more than ever before. But then I'm a glass half full kinda guy!
ecomoney wrote:The "word on the street" is that Puppy Linux would be used a lot more if only it was more "usable".
Just for those who don't know, the "street" referred to here is the Scunthorpe High Street, and not some general "average street" despite ecomoney's habit of interpolating Scunthorpe opinion to the world stage.

One day, Rob, you'll shock everyone and actually say something positive or (gasp, choke) actually contribute something other than your overrated opinion to Puppy development. One swallow does not make a summer any more than one sfs makes a contribution.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

runtt21

#59 Post by runtt21 »

ROFL " Scunthorpe High Street" you mean the street in front of his mom's house? Right. (Just joking)

James C

#60 Post by James C »

I wonder just who is responsible for putting the "word on the street"?