An overview of the PULP Desktop can be found here:

http://flusslinie.wordpress.com/2009/06 ... in-detail/

Hope this is of interest to someone,

Christian

puppyiso

Finally

#24 Post by puppyiso »

Hello, Christian

I finally downloaded your PULP. I had tried to download as doc file format a few times but none were successful.

Even this download had some problem but I got it at the end.

I will try out yours and tell you what I think. Reading your post is very interesting. Sounds like TurboPup but I had no way of knowing what's it like until I get it and test it.

Thank you for your effort to upload.

John

puppyiso

Wow

#25 Post by puppyiso »

Having tried so many "Light, Barebone, Fat free" puppies, I am so excited to try PULP.

I had so much difficulty to download and I even thought this may not be a good one without trying.

I am posting and uploading this with PULP. Fast and real slimmed.

I wish this one gets expanded sfs acceptance upto 40 something.

Why don't all of us combine good qualities from ChoicePup, TurboPup and PULP?

But PULP itself is great. So light and swift. Very impressed. I don't know why you kept this in the closet so long.

John S
Attachments
PULP 4.png
(81.59 KiB) Downloaded 1357 times
PULP 2.png
(23.62 KiB) Downloaded 1245 times
PULP 3.png
(61.68 KiB) Downloaded 1261 times
PULP 1.png
(33.4 KiB) Downloaded 1300 times

zenfunk

#26 Post by zenfunk »

I am posting and uploading this with PULP. Fast and real slimmed.

I wish this one gets expanded sfs acceptance upto 40 something.

Why don't all of us combine good qualities from ChoicePup, TurboPup and PULP?

But PULP itself is great. So light and swift. Very impressed. I don't know why you kept this in the closet so long.
Thank you very much for the kind words. I'll be improving PULP constantly. Comparing PULP 0.03 with the 0.02 version shows how much improvement was achieved. Isosize from about 120 MB to 90 MB, better choice of programms, etc. I'm allmost ashamed now of having released 0.02. It looks really clunky now. Probably that's why I kept it for so long to myself.

After using PULP for a while now I'm still impressed about the speed, but after testing you will find many rough edges which have to be taken care for in the next version. .doc-file handling comes to my mind. Apart from something like antiword, the next less lightweight option seems to be abiword- which is way too heavy in my book.
xls- format works at least partly in siag- office, so this is somewhat taken care of.

If anyone knows about a lightweight alternative to antiword please come forward.

Thanks again for your quick feedback....
Christian

puppyiso

#27 Post by puppyiso »

Yes, Abiword is heavy and bulky. I tried CDLinux and it used to have abiword built in but not anymore. It now uses online editor.

For any English user, there won't be a problem.

As long as built in spelling checker and some basic editing functions, online editor could be a solution. If it works offline, it's even better.

I once had some interest in Puppxigen 3.0.3 "Antigua" LPPC Edition (Spanish). It claimed being fast and lightbut I have never been able to download the iso. I don't know how fast how well organized.

All I can say is that PULP is great. If you are interested in looking at Puppxigen 3.0.3 "Antigua" LPPC Edition, please check it out.

http://www.puppylinux.org/downloads/pup ... pc-edition

The description;

This edition:
---> LPPC Edition (Low Power PC): For old stations or with limited resources.
30/05/09 SPPC Edition (Super Power PC): For standard stations >2000.
10/05/09 Mommy Edition: Easy edition for begginers or basic tasks.

Requirements: I have tested in a 16MB of ram and 300Mhz Intel Pentium processor machine,
with most acceptable results.

Some improvemets (i hope):

1. Spanish interface for hispanic users (also avialable in english if request)
2. New GTK-theme(Oxygen) Color-theme(Aurora) Cursor-theme (Oxygen) and Icon-theme(Aurora).
3. Some substitutions:
Pmusic ---> xmms
Gxine ---> VLC
fotoxx ---> Gpicview
mtpaint ---> Nathive
seamonkey ---> Midori
pburn ---> xfburn
mtpaint-screenshot ---> Xfce4-Screenshot
Pprocess ---> lxtask
and other
4. Some additions:
GiFT-ares pack for puppylinux
Xkill
Shutdown dialog
Puppy Control Panel (translated from pet package)
Menu modification (search, execute, help)
Games (ltris, AceOfPenguins, etc.)
Dillo (web explorer)
Wine 1...
Tvtime
pcursor
others.

John S

Colonel Panic

#28 Post by Colonel Panic »

Somebody pinched one of our community centre CDs today (Puppy vanilla 4.12), so I popped this one in the CD drive instead and it works even better than the standard 4.12 does, on an old machine with 128 MB of RAM.

It's a fine puplet, thanks.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

sullysat

#29 Post by sullysat »

Hey zenfunk!

VERY cool puplet! Two questions:

1. Are you still actively working / maintaining this?
2. Would you have any issues with me mirroring it on my website?

Thanks!
Sully
Puppy Files Mirror - [b][url]http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy.html[/url][/b]
Classic Puppy Page - [b][url]http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy214x.html[/url][/b]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#30 Post by Lobster »

zenfunk wrote: If anyone knows about a lightweight alternative to antiword please come forward.
You might still be able to find an early TextMaker word processor (used to be free but is closed source)
which was in at least one Puppy.
It is very good.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

puppyiso

#31 Post by puppyiso »

TextMaker word processor is indeed good one.

zenfunk

#32 Post by zenfunk »

Hey zenfunk!

VERY cool puplet! Two questions:

1. Are you still actively working / maintaining this?
Yes, sort of. Since the last release it is in almost daily use by me. So far I haven't found much room for improvement. Only thing I added afterwards was an easier and nicer way to open .doc files. The rest worked fine for me. I think the next release wouldn't be before Puppy 5 series are matured.
The only thing that really bugs me in puppy is the inconsistency between versions that keeps the community from having a nice big repository and a good packet manager of its own. The lack of these really is annoying once you had a taste of them in Debian or Ubuntu. So I will wait with my next version until Puppy is able to use a good repository.
2. Would you have any issues with me mirroring it on my website?

Thanks!
Sully
Of course not, please go ahead. It's all free software. The more opportunities to share it, the better.

To Lobster:
I'm not very familliar with Textmaker, andnever tried word documents on it. How does it perform?
Nevertheless, since it is not free software I won't include it into the stock version.

The method I found to open word documents uses a script that converts the .doc file to a .pdf which then is opened in xpdf.

The method is described here:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 51&start=0

The script is the following two lines:
#!/bin/sh
LANG="bs_BA" antiword -a a4 "$1" > ~/.doctmp.pdf && xpdf ~/.doctmp.pdf && rm ~/.doctmp.pdf

Store the script in /usr/bin or something under the name docview
and run it with this command:
docview nameofwordfile.doc

Viewing .doc files doesn't get any faster than this.

Cheers, Christian

mrreality13

#33 Post by mrreality13 »

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks for ending my search for a old laptop os.
i been hunting and hunting for something i like to breath life into a old laptop.
Great job :lol:
im on it now on my toshiba satellite 2535cds pent1@.300 mhz/96 megs ram/4 gig hd /floppy/1- 1.1 usb/cd drive- Nice old gem hell the batt still holds about 1 1/2 hrs :roll:

I got it cheep on craigslist in the usa ($15) due to my reading Kmandla's blog and wanted to play with something up his alley `even he would be proud of this lil old lappy
im browsing here on firepup with steraming radio going
(xmms) and htop reports roughly 80% cpu and 45/96 ram :shock:
Very nicely done !!

zenfunk

#34 Post by zenfunk »

Yeehaw,
I'm really glad you like it. :D

Nice RAM and CPU usage specs on your lappy.

Kmandlas blog was a great resource of information for the making of PULP. My skills are waaay below his, so a puppy remaster was the way to go for me.

Happy hacking,

Christian

sullysat

#35 Post by sullysat »

zenfunk wrote:
Hey zenfunk!

The method I found to open word documents uses a script that converts the .doc file to a .pdf which then is opened in xpdf.

The method is described here:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 51&start=0

The script is the following two lines:
#!/bin/sh
LANG="bs_BA" antiword -a a4 "$1" > ~/.doctmp.pdf && xpdf ~/.doctmp.pdf && rm ~/.doctmp.pdf

Store the script in /usr/bin or something under the name docview
and run it with this command:
docview nameofwordfile.doc

Viewing .doc files doesn't get any faster than this.

Cheers, Christian
Christian,
How hard would it be to put this script into the distro with a menu entry next time you remaster?

I know I can do it because its right here and I see it, but for others down the road, that is a hugely useful function to have 'out of the box'

FYI, I'll mirror PULP this week and let you know when its up.

Just a thought,
Sully
Classic Puppy Page - [b][url]http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy214x.html[/url][/b]

sullysat

Issues with Siag Office

#36 Post by sullysat »

I'm having an issue with Siag Office that I hope others have seen and know a fix for.

Sometimes, but not always, the menu items and, specifically, the font selection menus, do not work.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a fix?

I have noticed that it happens more often after I install (frugally) to the hard drive.

I thought at first it was just a bug in another distro that used the same apps because it wasn't happening with PULP, but now since I installed to my test machine I'm seeing it happen here too.

Ideas?
Sully

mrreality13

#37 Post by mrreality13 »

zenfunk wrote:Yeehaw,
I'm really glad you like it. :D

Nice RAM and CPU usage specs on your lappy.

Kmandlas blog was a great resource of information for the making of PULP. My skills are waaay below his, so a puppy remaster was the way to go for me.

Happy hacking,

Christian
My skills are way below his and yours but his blog really made the "tinkerer" in me curious Slight update now this old lap dog has a 60 gig hd,not sure why it see's 55 gigs, but i sow a post some where (cant find dam link now) that these older satellite's have a very forgiving bios.
see ya round the dog pound ,and again nice lil pup you made

zenfunk

#38 Post by zenfunk »

Christian,
How hard would it be to put this script into the distro with a menu entry next time you remaster?

I know I can do it because its right here and I see it, but for others down the road, that is a hugely useful function to have 'out of the box'

FYI, I'll mirror PULP this week and let you know when its up.

Just a thought,
Sully
This is exactly what I have planned for, but as I said before the next release very likely has to wait until puppy5 is released.

Have you tried out the docview script? Wickedly fast isn't it? You could run docview 5 times before abiword would start, let alone openoffice.

About the siag office issues - I really have no idea. I just did some basic typing just to make sure it works- that's about it.
Although I love tinkering with my otherwise "obsolete" low end laptops, my main computer still is a core2duo where all the "serious" work gets done, so I haven't used Siag much.
My skills are way below his and yours but his blog really made the "tinkerer" in me curious Slight update now this old lap dog has a 60 gig hd,not sure why it see's 55 gigs, but i sow a post some where (cant find dam link now) that these older satellite's have a very forgiving bios.
see ya round the dog pound ,and again nice lil pup you made
I have two sattelites myself. While the bios might be very forgiving, the graphics card gives me headaches each time I boot a fresh puppy. Xvesa doesn't work, trident driver in xorg doesn't too, so you have to use xvesa driver in xorg(!!!) to get it going. Wicked.
Nevertheless, nice machines.
The oldest laptop I got has a 8082 processor and 1 MB RAM with a 1 MB kredit card type RAM expansion card. The MS- DOS 3.something is stored in ROM!!! (no harddrive, only floppy disk). While not for Linux (Linux only boots down to a 386 IMHO), the boot time of this old beast is about 12 seconds. Nice little machine for tetris or something.

mrreality13

#39 Post by mrreality13 »

mine runs fine in xvesa BUT with that being said im havein a hell of a time finding a video player that will play .avi files it SEEMS that mplayer and xine rely on xorg drivers.
And i was also wondering how to chance the background i cant find the file you mentioned that was broke in jwm,
Thanx :wink:

zenfunk

#40 Post by zenfunk »

Tuuxxx very kindly reuploaded the Abiword 1.0.2 version:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 246#212246

Will get back to you about the background color,. I'm not at my PULP machine right now.