Buddapup Dingo

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
runtt21

#61 Post by runtt21 »

@seeKnowevil , I hope you left a good comment on that clip at youtube!!!

SeeKnowEvil

#62 Post by SeeKnowEvil »

so your the handheld camera buddapup guy???
lol....

SeeKnowEvil

#63 Post by SeeKnowEvil »

@puppyluvr...

have you played around any with the new systray module...
im eagar to try that one too.. (i think a RC release of open GEU is the only distro using it)... but it successfully incorporates a system tray (that other programs can use) in e17...

runtt21

#64 Post by runtt21 »

If that was my clip you saw then yes I am the " handheld camera buddapup guy". WHERES MY COMMENT ??? LOL !

puppyluvr

#65 Post by puppyluvr »

:D runtt21,
I have posted a comment twice, but they wont stick. There is a question about system req., but my response posts dont show up.??
Been a youtube member 1 yr+, never had this prob...hmmm
Answer the poor guy, please!!
Answer: System requirements= anything with 128mb+ ram and P2/400mhz+ CPU
Install = full, frugal, live CD, USB, SD, (Darn near anything)(You know)!!
Ill keep trying to post a comment....

PS.... If you can get xvidcap to record a Buddapup, ( 217/400) on your machine, why not post it, as I cant!!
My video mem is lacking!!

Thx....Jay....
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

runtt21

#66 Post by runtt21 »

I did answer him but it didnt show up, I have no idea why.So I have emailed him several times. He wanted to know what MY specs where he knew about puppy's.

I'm working on a new vid,just for you, hang on, I want to Finnish my "other" project first.

Hey did you get my last email?

puppyluvr

#67 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Runtt21,
Yes, I did. And I responded, but I never sent it. :oops:
Now I did..... :D
Basic Email skills-1........Jay-0
:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

tom4jesus

#68 Post by tom4jesus »

Puppulvr,

First I want to let you know that I love Buddapup-dingo and have no doubt that interest in it will only increase, I read through your thread e-15 and saw you were a little discouraged in the response to it, but I am certain that once word gets out more people will try it.
I see this thread has not been posted to in a while so I do hope you are still working on it.

I don't think a lot of people are as familiar with enlightenment as other desktops. I know as a regular Archlinux user that has used many different desktops I like enlightenment the best, even though it can still be a little buggy at times.
And in looking around on the Puppy sites I think yours is the only puppy derivative that is using enlightenment ?
It works great, please keep up the good work!

The main reason I am posting though is to let you know that I suspect the iso on the puppylinux.ca site may be bad.
I downloaded it 4 times and the md5sum was the same incorrect code each time. I burned two of them anyway and tried them, because I really wanted to try Buddapup, but they did not work.
So I searched on Google and found a copy on a free hosting site, you must have uploaded to, and it work perfectly the first time. Both the md5sum was correct and it ran well.

thanks,
Tom

EDIT**
I almost forgot, I was mobilized to Ft. Sill with the Army reserves last year and I got to go to the Indian parade / festival in Chickasha last year while I was there,.
I really liked Oklahoma and Chickasha, you have a nice town.
I still have friends in Lawton.

puppyluvr

#69 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
@tom4jesus, Thanks, and thanks for the heads up about the files on .ca, I will check it out..
I was not even aware my stuff was on .ca, as I had transfered it all to .asia, as in my link below, due to my directory drawing some bad problems to Caneris site, .ca...

No, Serenity is not forgotten, quite to the contrary, an update is in the works..Another member had expressed an interest in releasing an e-17 variant as well, and I was awaiting it to come out, but have not heard from him lately..
Really, other than updating a few programs, and streamlining a few things, I don`t want to mess with it too much, as I`m pretty happy with it..Ive tried a 4.10 and 4.12 based version, but lost a lot of stability..
Lately, Mozilla has been a real pain, so Serenity may see a Browser change, IDK..And Opera`s cache addiction is annoying as well....Maybe Midori??? So far the Mozilla crash problem hasnt effected Flock, but its a big, slow beast....
Also been playing with Zigberts Pwidgets and Enlightenment, with varying results...
I am also working with E-16 a lot more lately, and have a few possibilities in the works...
I actually like it better than E-17, as it is much more adaptable...
So, no, Puppy hasnt heard the last of Enlightenment outta me, LOL, just that this whole shuffling around thing has slowed me up a bit...
Anyhow, thanks for trying Serenity, I hope it serves you well, as it does me...
Jay....... :D

Caneri

#70 Post by Caneri »

Hi Jay,

I checked the md5sum and the one on .ca is the same as .asia

Maybe post what the md5sum should be or re-upload the iso to .asaa so I can move it to .ca as a mirror.

Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

runtt21

#71 Post by runtt21 »

Hey Puppyluvr, sorry I havent been around for the last few months , thing get real crazy at work during the holidays. I am just about to finish macpup foxy 2.0 and then I am going back to work on the e17 pup . Hang on its coming!!!

meridian_blue

#72 Post by meridian_blue »

There appears to be a live e17/compiz "ecomorph" now...

Would this be feasable in Puppy?

http://www.elivecd.org/Download/e17-compiz

puppyluvr

#73 Post by puppyluvr »

Well, ironically enough, as I post this, I am on EcoMorph...I`ve just gotten it , so havent really had the chance to check it out thoroughly yet..
So far, about 12 hrs into it, and I`ll say this...
They`re right...It is not stable...Iceweasel especially...
Overall though, its really cool..
IDK where the 700 mb is though...Not enough there to explain it yet...
I just want to see how they achieved E-17 and E-16 interchangeability...
I would love to offer an E-16 / E-17 option at boot...
The Compiz / Enlightenment combo is SWEET...
This can be done in Puppy...
(By someone a whole lot smarter than me...LOL)
The resource req. are fairly minimal..
IMHO it has TOO much AutoConfigure stuff going on..
I still havent found how to manually configure half of it..

@That said, Buddapup is faster, Ripple is more beautiful, and Macpup Foxy E-17 is easier to use...The GUI is quirky still, although a lot better than the last release I tried..
I like it, its just too much..(And not enough)..
However, the engine behind it, Compiz using Enlightenment , has promise..Its nice and smooth...
But...Compiz, with Cairo behind (on top of ???) it, ,,, (IE Ripple), is faster and makes better use of Compiz, IMO..

Someone, IE Dinky, Tombh, ect.. with more knowledge of Compiz could make it work I`m sure.. Needless to say I shall hack it up anyhow...Gotta learn something from it, right... :D :D

phodges

application menu

#74 Post by phodges »

greetings

this is my favorite puppy, thanks for all the hard work!

i successfully have serenity up and running, and put the shrooms background in with the ice flames from the buddapup_e17 and with a few other tweaks it looks and works AWESOME.

I have added several packages with the get controller, which reported they were installed correctly. however, they do not show up on the application menu. can anyone tell me how to add them? i managed to run one from the command line but that is it.

also, how can i start the other DE that came with the pup? i was going to crank it up just to see if the programs show up there.

thanks

puppyluvr

#75 Post by puppyluvr »

To get installed packages to show up in the menu, open a terminal and type "fixmenus"...This will correct the Jwm menu...
Then in the Enlightenment menu, click "reload Puppy menu"..
You may have to restart X to make them show up..("ctrl-alt-bkspace" and then xwin enlightenment_start)...
(Oh yea, to switch from Enlightenment to Jwm, drop out of X (ctrl-alt-bkspace" and type "xwin jwm" and hit enter.....)
If you have any problems/questions let me know...
...Jay...aka Puppyluvr.... :D

phodges

#76 Post by phodges »

thanks for the reply. i should have time here shortly to boot it up and try it out. you may hear from me again ;)

xwin jwm was the obvious command but i guess even with linux you just have try the same thing over and hope for a different result...

I am going to do a free computing night at our library with various live cd's for folks to try out. I will run the presentation from your pup! it generates lots of interest and blows people away when i have it up on a workstation, ought to look really impressive coming out of the projector.

phodges

#77 Post by phodges »

jay

allright, they show up under jwm but still no luck with e17.

i do not see a 'reload puppy menu' in the enlightenment menu

i went to e.-configuration-menus-applications and then there is a choice between 'regenerate' and 'update'. update does not do the trick. i may try regenerate but it says it will wipe customizations - and i am afraid of what that means.

the gimp i grabbed does not run, i don't suppose you know of a package somewhere that works for sure?

i am also having a rough time finding a decent music player, i think i will try and track down an amarok package.

i will boot it back up, get on the network and see what i can find

thanks again for the help!

peter

runtt21

#78 Post by runtt21 »

phodges read my first post in this thread, its the third one down, install the menu.pet and follow the instructions I have there . You dont need the dbus .pet

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=41766

puppyluvr

#79 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Oops,
i do not see a 'reload puppy menu' in the enlightenment menu

I was thinking of E-16..Doing it manually in E-17 is a bit more complex..
Use the pet runtt21 suggested, he knows E-17!!!

As for the Gimp, Im guessing you tried a Gimp 2.6 pet...Needs a lot of dependancys...Type gimp into a console, and it will tell you what it needs..
Probably babl and gegl....

If you like E-17, you also should try runtt21`s Macpup_E-17 with Firefox or Opera..
Very nice work and a more recent version of E-17...

Also, if youre into glitz and bling for your presentation, try Ripple...
Compiz-Fusion and Cairo-Dock...Very flashy...
Also a Compiz Puplet called VestaPup...Like Vista on Compiz/Steroids..LOL

Blow their minds.... :shock: :shock: :shock:

phodges

#80 Post by phodges »

**edit**

allright, got everything up and running, and icons in the ibar!

awesome, thanks guys.

for the menus, 'regenerate' and a reboot seem to have done the trick.

i've got xfe so now i can at least see where everything is ;)

the list of dependencies for gimp is awfully long, i will take it out and try to find one that's easier to get running.

i definitely played with foxy, but i could not get the flame module loaded and working. e is super cool and user friendly for basic stuff but more advanced stuff takes a lot of time to figure out...like i can't get the clock to change on this one.

i will burn vesta too so we have that one to take a look at.

so far i am down to getting a working gimp and amarok and this system should be all put together for me! maybe a better firefox too. can you guys recommend a good stable pet out there?

thanks again, and as i said i totally dig the work you guys have done on these puppys!