How to repair XP with Puppy ?

Booting, installing, newbie
roark37

How to repair XP with Puppy ?

#1 Post by roark37 »

Hello to all,

I have a major problem with my laptop that I am looking for advice in how to fix. The issue is that XP will not boot up but rather its gets stuck in a loop due to a buffer overrrun winlogin error message. I am almost positive that the problem was caused by a recent update to Superantispyware as on their forum this exact issue is discussed. The recommendation is to use a Ubuntu live cd to change the name of the problem file but I don't know how to do that. I have used Puppy Linux a couple of times as a live cd only and want to know if I can easily access the hard drive to try to fix this problem file using my Puppy live cd. If it can be done is it fairly easy to access the files using the live cd and can you please give guidance on how to do it or direct me where I can find out? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am in a total jam and need to try to get this fixed as soon as possible.

Also, I brought this to a computer tech/geek squad and assuming I am right in the problem would they have the tools whether using linux or something else that this would likely be an quick and easy fix?

Thanks again for any help.

roark

Bruce B

#2 Post by Bruce B »

What does Microsoft expect people in your situation to do?

~

cthisbear

#3 Post by cthisbear »

Last edited by cthisbear on Tue 04 Apr 2017, 01:53, edited 1 time in total.

clarf

#4 Post by clarf »

You should try your Laptop restoration disk or Windows XP installation disc.

Using Windows XP, you first boot from CD.

In the first screen you mark install Windows and after the Agree screen, Windows show you the installed directories, after that you choose repair installation and from there you reinstall Windows XP.

With this process you don´t lose any configuration or feature that you installed before, should have problems with some drivers, in this case you should reinstall them.

That´s all.