Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 28 Aug 2014, 23:22
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
apt-get/synaptic in Upup Jaunty
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
tronkel

PostPosted: Sun 24 May 2009, 17:18    Post subject:  apt-get/synaptic in Upup Jaunty  

I've had another go at getting apt-get/Synaptic to work in the latest uPup Jaunty Alpha 9 476

This time the install went rather better than previously. It works well enough to be able to install, remove, update, check, autoremove, clean and purge packages.

There are various errors reported though at the end of the install process, but this does nor seem to prevent the packages from installing. Certain packages such as Mplayer are installed, but minus a lot of dependencies that have to be installed manually.

The example shown in the screenshot is a successful install of the thunderbird email client.

Basically I installed apt, dpkg and Synaptic via the Package Manager in Upup 476. Since I don't know exactly how to configure apt-get from scratch (something the Jaunty installer does), I simply copied across any relevant-looking apt folders from my real Jaunty installation. Directories like /etc/apt, /usr/lib/apt and /usr/share/apt hold the relevant folders.

You also need to create an empty directory called /home and then type adduser in a terminal to install any "virtual" users that apt complains about not being able see. On my system, I had to add 2 users - mlocate and hplip.

The configured system of course then holds details of all the original real Jaunty packages. If you need to install a package in Puppy that has already been installed in real Jaunty, you have to firstly run apt-get --purge remove *your_package* in Puppy before you install *your_package* in Puppy.

Eventually I'll suss out a way of installing a completely pristine apt_get install without having to carry over information from the real Jaunty install.
apt-get.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   91.99 KB
 Viewed   587 Time(s)

apt-get.jpg

Last edited by tronkel on Tue 26 May 2009, 14:57; edited 1 time in total
moogsydodong

PostPosted: Tue 26 May 2009, 09:35    Post subject:  

this is kinda cool...
hopefully you can find a way not needing to copy files from the real jaunty...

or maybe...in the meantime you can post the files you got from jaunty to make synaptic work...

just a thought... Wink
tronkel

PostPosted: Tue 26 May 2009, 15:17    Post subject:  

Having played about some more with this, it's clear that Synaptic/apt-get is feasible in uPup - the proof-of-concept is there.

Synaptic is slightly faulty on my uPup alpha 9 install to the extent that the search box is greyed out. This does not prevent searching though, since you can still click the search button and get a functional input search box. Synaptic/apt also regularly report error messages from previously failed install attempts. These do not usually affect any subsequent installs though.

How successful are the installs?

On the whole, the install success-rate at the moment is really only comparable to the success-rate of the official Puppy Package Manager in uPup. This is only to be expected, since Puppy is missing a lot of stuff in the way of dependencies that are present in real Jaunty. Puppy cannot have all of these dependencies by default, since there is the question of the size of the ISO to be taken into account.

So therefore, not all of the packages that exist in the Jaunty repos can be installed. This may change in the future though as Puppy becomes more compatible with Ubuntu/Debian

Really, the advantage of using Synaptic/apt-get in Puppy at the moment though, is to provide seasoned Ubuntu/Debian users with familiar tools inside of Puppy. It's a kinda nice feeling to know that it's there.

As uPup/Woof develops, this could be another good feature that will raise user-awareness of the Puppy distro and push it even higher in the Distrowatch rankings from its already amazingly high position 8.

goingnuts

PostPosted: Tue 26 May 2009, 16:17    Post subject:  

Hi tronkel
Actualy inspired by one of your post I did play with getting Synaptic working in P412. Maybe you can use some of my findings to refine your implementation of Synaptic in upup?

http://208.109.22.214/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=307947&sid=d104f86dc5b4d59e0305b6d3277d106a#307947
Regards
GoingNuts
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
Jump to: