DSL works - after stopping x exits and cannot be restartet

Booting, installing, newbie
gared

DSL works - after stopping x exits and cannot be restartet

#1 Post by gared »

Hi,

I recently installed Puppy 1.06 on my new second hand notebook Toshiba Tecra 8100 / 600MHz / 128MB (HD-Installation with dedicated partition) and I am very exited about speed and handling, I just had to disable ACPI to bring the system to work.

But here is my problem: I am connected to internet via Arcor DSL (Germany, 1000MBit, ADSL) and installed the connection by using the Roaring Penguin GUI (synchron connection disabled). Everything works fine until I stop the connection. After stopping, x exits and I cannot manage to restart the window manager. Even after rebooting the notebook xwin won't start again and I have to write my Partition-Image back (for me the fastest way ;-)) or to reinstall puppy. When trying to restart x (xwin fvwm98) fvwm98 starts for a second and then exits again with the following message:

Exited from X. Type "xwin [fvwm95|jwm] to restart X

No error message occurs.

I have already tried different LAN-Cards (3com 3CXFE575CT, Genius MF3000) the same effect occurs with both of them. The same by using the LiveCD, also tried puppy 1.07b.

Beside this behaviour the system works very stable for hours and hours, even when connected to the LAN at my working place having a fix IP and even "while" connected to my DSL.

Do you have any hint for me, maybe at least how to get the windows manager to work again after exiting?

Thank you in advance for helping a newbie,
Harry

MU

#2 Post by MU »

No idea what causes your problems :(

But try this:
instead using roaring penguin, try the comands

adsl-start
adsl-stop

to dialin and interrupt the connection.
You can drag these scripts from /usr/sbin in ROX-Filer to your desktop.

Mark

gared

#3 Post by gared »

Hi Mark,

thank you for the tipp, I will give it a try tonight.

Ciao,
Harry

#4 Post by Guest »

No error message occurs.
X error messages are in /tmp/xerrs.txt
type more /tmp/xerrs.txt to see them

#5 Post by Guest »

Ok, I managed to get back to X. I always tried to reboot the X System by using "xwin fvwm95". Unfortunately there is no file or link "fvwm95" in my file system, the window manager file is named jwm (LiveCD). "xwin" without parameters didn't work afterwords because the last parameter is written to the file "/etc/windowmanger" (fvwm95) which feeds the script "/root/.xinitrc". Don't ask why I never tried "xwin jwm" ;-)

Thank you Guest for the hint with xerrs.txt

The problem with exiting after stopping penguin still exists - but I will try the adsl-stop / -start scripts as mentioned before.

Harry

BarryK
Puppy Master

#6 Post by BarryK »

Pup 1.0.7 has a newer version of Roaring Penguin and GuestToo reported that the X crash no longer occurs.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#7 Post by GuestToo »

X didn't crash when using RP ... RP would crash if Use Synchronous PPP was enabled (RP says it needs to be configured in the kernel compile options)

also RP would symlink /etc/resolv.conf to /etc/ppp/resolv.conf ... but that was a symlink to /etc/resolv.conf, so it would setup circular symlinks, which won't work ... this seems to be fixed for 1.0.7

also, i tried the RP command line script adsl-start (i copied from Vector Linux) which worked ok, but it was using the options in /etc/ppp/options, so the file should be empty ... i don't know if tkpppoe uses /etc/ppp/options, i don't think it does

1.0.7's tkpppoe seems to work ok ... sometimes it pops up an error message when you disconnect, but there doesn't really seem to be an error, so i ignore the message (when run from the CLI, the error return code is 1, with no error message)

gared

#8 Post by gared »

thank you for your reply

My X win crashes indeed only when Synchronous PPPoE is "disabled". But when enabled unfortunately the DSL connection doesn't work :-( (My Arcor DSL works asynchronous). I tried the new 1.07 Puppy and meanwhile even other hardware (PC w/ Pentium IV) - same effect.

You can emulate this effect by simply setting up a nonsens connection with Synchronous PPPoE disabled (e.g. User Name:XXX / Passwort:XXX / Use Synchronous PPP:disabled). Click the start-Button, wait few seconds and then click the stop-Butten - wush your Window Manager says good bye ...

Using the scripts pppoe-start/-stop now works sometimes for me but sometimes pppoe-stop would cause X to crash too. The same effect occurs BTW when using jwm or fvwm95.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#9 Post by GuestToo »

tkppoe seems to call
pppoe-wrapper start default
and
pppoe-wrapper stop default
(if default is the name you gave the connection)

i don't know if running those commands would be particularly useful

gared

#10 Post by gared »

GuestTwo, thank you for your answer. Meanwhile I accept that I have to use the shell-scripts to start/stop my DSL-Connection (the last view times I didn't have any crashes). Using the RP GUI would be nevertheless a bit more comfortable, because you are always aware wheather you are connected to the internet or not because of the two little green indicators (volume flatrate)

Today I tried one more time a virgin LiveCD 1.07 and had still the well known effect. But new to me is an error message that occurs in the shell after X exits:

*** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (!pref): 0x08060560

Do you think this is a software bug, a hardware problem or a missconfiguration of mine?

thank you for any reply,
Harry

BarryK
Puppy Master

#11 Post by BarryK »

gared wrote: *** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (!pref): 0x08060560
We all get that!
I think it's a bug in JWM, trying to free the same memory block twice when it exits.

gared

#12 Post by gared »

Hey, it works :D

Here's what I did: I called the gui not via clicking the menu- / or desktop-icon but called it directly from within a shell-console ( # tkpppoe ). Now I can start and stop as often I want to within the gui and my X stays by my side.

Better: call it as a background process ( # tkpppoe & ) and you can close the console-window after starting the gui.

Thank you for any answer. With that kind of little uncomfort I can live.

Greetings,
Harry

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#13 Post by GuestToo »

that's strange

when you start tkppoe from the menu, it is executed by ash ... when you start from rxvt, it is executed by bash

maybe this script would work:

#!/bin/bash
exec tkpppoe

you can drag the script to the desktop if you want a shortcut ... you can edit the menu to point to the script if you like

or maybe changing the first line of tkpppoe to
#!/bin/bash

or maybe it's not bash, it's something else

gared

#14 Post by gared »

both didn't work. I tried some more versions:

ash -e tkpppoe

bash -e tkpppoe

bash -e tkpppoe &

#!/sbin/bash
exec tkpppoe

#!/sbin/bash
exec tkpppoe &

Every time I call those scripts from within a shell, only the gui itself is getting closed. When called from Desktop or Menu X shuts down. I dare say even the gui shouldn't be closed when the connection is forced to stop, or?

When I start the script from console but not as a background process, the console window itself gets closed too after stopping the connection.
Looks like tkpppoe kills always itself (gui) and its own parent-process, when stopping the connection, doesn't it?

GuestToo did you already try to emulate the phenomen by starting/stopping a nonsens connection? Does it happen in your Environment too?