Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 25 Oct 2014, 22:18
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Lighthouse Pup 4.4.2 Final SMP 194M
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 7 of 23 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, ..., 21, 22, 23 Next
tazoc

PostPosted: Mon 18 May 2009, 18:51    Post_subject: Recommended update1 for rc2  

The attached pet is a recommended update for LHP4.1.2-rc2 only.

What it does:

Conky settings updated--slightly smaller font size, better SMP support and CPU speed reflects scaling. Prior config saved to '/root/.conkyrc.$$'. ($$ is a random number.)

New panels installed: 'Automount-setup' (in menus and in /mnt) and 'Set global font size' (in menus and updated Lighthouse LookNFeel.) This new dialog makes setting overall font size easier and adjusts both XfontDPI as well as KDE's forceFontDPI if KDE/Mariner SFS is present.

A quick version check of Mariner SFS for compatibility is added to pup-dip-gui. A message will appear on the desktop if Mariner needs to be updated.
-TazOC
LHP_4.1.2-rc2_update1.pet
Description  Recommended update for LHP 4.1.2-rc2 only (size 13K)
md5sum 05ce74ff252694fe52ac788854489c6d
pet

Download 
Filename  LHP_4.1.2-rc2_update1.pet 
Filesize  12.55 KB 
Downloaded  361 Time(s) 

Roy

PostPosted: Tue 19 May 2009, 07:43    Post_subject: Lighthouse Pup 4.1.2 RC2 181M - SMP Kernel
Sub_title: Broadcom firmware

Quote:
I've tried installing the wl driver as Tempestuous suggests but bootkernel.log shows no wireless interface detected. Not sure where to go next with this problem.

Barburo,

Don't know if this is any help or not (as I do not know if Firmware is kernel-specific), but you might want to take a look at this thread:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=41169

dbock has attached a zipped Broadcom firmware module for downloading in the lower half of the first page with instructions further up in that thread's page for using it. I *think*, from Googling your computer specs, that you are using the Broadcom BCM4311 wireless card. That should use Puppy's stock BCM43xx driver, after you ensure the Firmware is present. (My own netbook has a Broadcom BCM4312 wireless card -- which is a different animal -- and requires the extra .pet driver in addition to the replaced Firmware in Puppy's 4.12 non-retro edition.)

tazoc,

I've got to tell you, I've been a great admirer of your work since first discovering LHP215! Thank you!

-Roy
techtype

PostPosted: Tue 19 May 2009, 08:27    Post_subject: Great Pup  

Nice job as always!! Works well and looks good.

Just for your info: it suffers from the very, very slow network copy problem common to pups derived from wow's 1.1 pup.

Also, as near as I could determine, frequency scaling only works for AMD processors. Is that correct?
dWLkR

PostPosted: Tue 19 May 2009, 08:59    Post_subject:  

hi tazoc!

thank you for your very nice puppy derivate!

are u planning a release with KDE 4.x?

thank you in advance!
tazoc

PostPosted: Tue 19 May 2009, 16:49    Post_subject:  

@Jim1911,
Thank you for your update, your feedback is helpful. I also had weird results with Xorgwizard option 1 but couldn't sort it out. So I made option 2, force vesa the default. Glad that it works now! If anyone has success with Option 1, please let me know. Maybe I should remove it, just not sure if it is needed.

I haven't been able to fix the occasional bug with empty menus in IceWM but I'm glad the Refresh Menus and Restart IceWM still works in any event.

@Roy,
Thank you for your support and you're welcome!

@techtype,
I was not aware of slow network copy. I need to test that myself. Thank you for testing LHP and I appreciate your feedback. I don't have a newer Intel box to test scaling on. Erikson at this thread seems to have had success with a Centrino laptop. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=28443

@dWLkR,
Hi and thank you for your comments. Good question. I have no plans for KDE 4 at the moment. I haven't been real impressed with KDE 4 in Kubuntu so far--it's quite a change from KDE 3. Maybe it's the new menus or plug-ins, but it just doesn't feel comfortable to me. And I don't know how to make KDE 4 work in LHP or Puppy as yet. I tried today with Gslapt but got an invalid package format error. (.txz instead of .tgz).
-TazOC

tazoc

PostPosted: Sat 23 May 2009, 21:37    Post_subject: Recommended update2 for rc2  

Another small update for LHP 4.1.2 rc2 only.

This pet includes everything in update1 plus a modification of the script /usr/X11R7/bin/xwin and an updated Conky configuration. As before, the current ~/.conkyrc is backed up in case you have customized it yourself.

No need to install or uninstall update1; update2 should work fine whether or not you have installed update1.

Because xwin is updated you may see a brief error when restarting X, but only the first time.
TazOC
LHP_4.1.2rc2u2-rc2_update2.pet
Description  Update2 for LighthousePup 4.1.2-rc2 only
md5sum 0e1cb5b0556cdb94ecf1644748d6bf64
pet

Download 
Filename  LHP_4.1.2rc2u2-rc2_update2.pet 
Filesize  19.78 KB 
Downloaded  364 Time(s) 

Barburo

PostPosted: Tue 26 May 2009, 19:18    Post_subject: Feedback  

Hi TazOC,
Thanks for including the nvidia drivers - I now have a set up that allows me to use either my notebook's 1280x800 screen, or my external monitor at 1440x900. Similar to 3.01g but the drivers work a little differently.
I have applied both your .pets and things look good, but Conky is still not transparent, and for my setup, the file to test if CPU2 exists is /proc/acpi/processor/CPU1/info and so on for CPUs3 and 4 should they be present.

I get an error when I try to use Xsane scanner. I have a combined printer scanner unit Epson Stylus cx4800. It is recognized in CUPS and sets up as a printer just fine. It still works perfectly as a scanner in 3.01g. The Xsane error is
Failed to open device v4l:/dev/video0 Invalid argument. Not sure what this means exactly but I checked and /dev/v4l/video0 exists and /dev/video0 is a link.

I have successfully connected twice to wireless but most of the time the kernel reports an error with the firmware files. I am attempting to get resolution in this thread
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=309539#309539
Can anyone in this thread think of a reason why the b43 firmware files are only sometimes recognized and the module loaded, but usually reported as in error as either missing or invalid format? The files don't change - the bootlog shows different results.

edit:
Tried the compiz-fusion .sfs and it seems to work just fine under KDE. I see that I have a choice of window managers and themes and I can switch away from CF on the fly. Is there a simple list of the key combos for the various special effects in CF? Can I change the "explode in flames" when you close a window to something else?

B.

tazoc

PostPosted: Thu 28 May 2009, 00:57    Post_subject:  

Barburo,
I'm working on a patch for Conky transparency in KDE. Workaround is to change wallpaper with KDE background Settings, Apply, then change back to desired wallpaper. Using the 'slide show' automatic wallpaper changer works even better, but still not ideal--you have to wait at least one minute.

No idea on the scanner, Wi-Fi.

Do you have Simple CompizConfig Settings in the Kmenu | Settings Menu? If not, run KDE Menu Updating Tool in LHP LooknFeel. (It may not find it, but click Apply anyway.) Click Animations tab | Drop down for 'Close Window' and choose a different animation.

I don't know of a good list of CF key combos but they are mostly in the CompizConfigSettings Manager ('Super' key is a.k.a. the 'Windows' key.) The ones I set are as follows:

Ctrl+Super+a Autumn Leaves (toggle on/off)
Ctrl+Super+s Snow (toggle on/off)
Ctrl+Super+f Fireflies (toggle on/off)
Ctrl+Super+b Bubbles (toggle on/off)
Ctrl+Super+t Stars (toggle on/off)

Super+Right mouse button Zoom In
Super+Left mouse button Zoom Out
-TazOC

Barburo

PostPosted: Mon 01 Jun 2009, 01:57    Post_subject:  

Hi TazOC,
Can you take a quick look - tempestuous has some suggestions here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=311247#311247
firmware.sh does exist. rc.sysinit contains this code and comments from Barry
Quote:
#...read in /sbin/pup_event_backend_d, and pup_event_backend_modprobe (for udevd).

#v405 udevd calls /sbin/pup_event_backend_modprobe, which needs this...
echo -n '0' > /tmp/pup_event_alsa_cnt

#my intention is for puppy to work with either of these...
if [ -f /sbin/udevd ];then
/sbin/udevd --daemon
else
pup_event_backend_d >/tmp/pup_event_backend_errors 2>&1 & #hotplug daemon. my homebrew replacement for udevd.
fi

Seems like he's saying puppy should work with both udevd and pup_event_backend_firmware.

The pup_event_backend_firmware file has these comments
Quote:
#NOTICE: If the full 'udev' package, with utility 'udevd' is installed, rc.sysinit
# will run 'udevd' instead of 'pup_event_backend_d' and this script will be used.
#v409 bugfix, FIRMWARE may have form 'subdir/firmware-file'.

Not sure if this has any significance for my wi-fi bugs. As I say in the other wi-fi thread
Quote:
I find that most times on boot there is no wi-fi connection, but if I unload and load the b43 module several times and use Pwireless after each attempt, eventually the scan works and shows available nodes that I can connect to.

... so I'll keep testing and see if I can cobble a working solution for myself. Any comments you may have are welcom.

I am enjoying using rc2 but here's a few ongoing bugs:
I load these .sfs files at start-up in this order.
The Xscreensaver preferences will not load, and the more complicated screen savers give an error (?can't re--create right now but I think it was 11). Possible conflict with C-F?
Sometimes the taskbar in KDE won't lock.
Sometimes your fix for conky transparency doesn't work.
All small things but I guess you like to know.
The scanner error occurs whether i have it connected or not - so I'm thinking it's the application.
The open office apps show up in lost and found - they work OK. I transfer them to the KDE office sub-menu.

B.
sfs.gif
 Description   
 Filesize   5.52 KB
 Viewed   1096 Time(s)

sfs.gif

tazoc

PostPosted: Mon 01 Jun 2009, 14:45    Post_subject:  

Barburo wrote:
Hi TazOC,
Can you take a quick look - tempestuous has some suggestions here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=311247#311247
tempestuous wrote:
- Have a look in /etc/udev/rules.d
and check what rule is calling firmware.sh, because this is wrong.
There should be a udev rule called 50-udev-puppy-basic.rules which calls /sbin/pup_event_backend_firmware
Try deleting '/etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev-default.rules'. and rebooting. This does call firmware.sh. I will delete it in upcoming rc3 release. I didn't know these rules would conflict with pup_event_backend_firmware. What you and tempestuous have found is helpful. I wonder if we should also delete any other rules and /lib/udev/firmware.sh?
Quote:
I am enjoying using rc2 but here's a few ongoing bugs:
I load these .sfs files at start-up in this order.
The Xscreensaver preferences will not load, and the more complicated screen savers give an error (?can't re--create right now but I think it was 11). Possible conflict with C-F?
In rc2 I had a flicker in Xscreensavers with C-F. This does not occur in my testing of rc3 so far, which has updated display drivers.
Quote:
Sometimes the taskbar in KDE won't lock.
I haven't seen that--no idea.
Quote:
Sometimes your fix for conky transparency doesn't work.
All small things but I guess you like to know.
I haven't released a fix for that yet. What I'm doing for rc3 should help, but it will only work properly if KDE's wallpaper position is set "Scaled". Other settings, such as scale & crop, centered auto fit won't line up with conky's background. I tried to find a conky setting for this without success.
Quote:
The scanner error occurs whether i have it connected or not - so I'm thinking it's the application.
Is it a USB scanner? If so, be sure to try disconnecting and reconnecting while LHP is running. Maybe you already tried that. My USB scanner (Agfa Snapscan) works when I do that.
Quote:
The open office apps show up in lost and found - they work OK. I transfer them to the KDE office sub-menu.
How does OxygenOffice compare with OpenOffice? I haven't tried it.
-TazOC

tazoc

PostPosted: Mon 01 Jun 2009, 17:28    Post_subject: bug-fix release Puppy 4.2.1  

Barburo,
I was just reading about the bug-fix release Puppy 4.2.1 and noted the following at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=308012#308012
Quote:
Patches for gtk+ Xinput and b43 broadcom network driver...
...previously issued patches for nbtscan, mountcifs, jwm-tray, xsane, network wizard
I'm curious if it helps. If not I'd probably consider trying a puplet with the 2.6.29.1 kernel or Barry's Woof or another distro such as Kubuntu, Gentoo or PCLinuxOS. My limited experience with those distros suggests they have good hardware support. Just a thought...
-TazOC

Barburo

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jun 2009, 15:03    Post_subject:  

tazoc wrote:
Try deleting '/etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev-default.rules'. and rebooting. This does call firmware.sh. I will delete it in upcoming rc3 release. I didn't know these rules would conflict with pup_event_backend_firmware. What you and tempestuous have found is helpful. I wonder if we should also delete any other rules and /lib/udev/firmware.sh?

As soon as I did this and rebooted all was well - and the wi-fi connected to my router automatically. I have tried it half a dozen times and it works repeatedly. Not sure about whether deleting any more files will affect anything else.
I will continue to use rc2 and try to turn up bugs for you, and look forward to rc3.

I got a strange bug in icewm. I switched to icewm (it takes a long time for the menu to appear when first you click on it). Clicked on Logout and instead of the options gui I got the text of a file: "Usage for Xdialog". Ctl=alt-backspace got me the CL and xwin startkde worked fine. To check I rebooted and same result.

Most of the time after opening an application the "busy" cursor seems to persist for several seconds longer than it needs to.

I tried to get the screen savers working but failed. Running the commands in a terminal I got this
Quote:

<root> ~
-bash-3.00# /usr/local/bin/xscreensaver-next-LHP
/usr/local/bin/xscreensaver-next-LHP: line 7: [: pidof: unary operator expected
sh: xscreensaver-command: command not found
<root> ~
-bash-3.00#

Oxygen Office is just the Open Office suite with more templates and files added to give similar usability to MS office. It seems to work the same as Open Office for me. I'll take a look at Puppy 4.2 when I get a chance but I'll stay with testing your rc2 now I have good connectivity, plus C-F and the SMP kernel.

B.

tazoc

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jun 2009, 18:29    Post_subject:  

Hi Barburo,

I'm glad your wi-fi is working!

Try the attached update3 for Xscreensavers. (They will still flicker with C-F until rc3.) Thank you for testing LHP and for your helpful feedback. I want to try out OxygenOffice SFS when I have some time.

No idea yet about the IceWM logout error, I will try to reproduce...

I also have the busy cursor and slow-to-appear Logout panel. I think it happens after installing C-F?
TazOC
LHP_4.1.2rc2u3-rc2_update3.pet
Description  Update3 for LighthousePup 4.1.2-rc2 only
md5sum: 8f62bdbd7d2f717905232badffbebc42
pet

Download 
Filename  LHP_4.1.2rc2u3-rc2_update3.pet 
Filesize  20.46 KB 
Downloaded  338 Time(s) 

Jim1911

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jun 2009, 21:30    Post_subject:  

tazok,

Does LH include the following applications? Also, do I need to use the devx_421.sfs or do you have a LH_devx_421.sfs?
-QT 4.4+
-Boost header files (libboost-dev)
-cmake 2.4.0+ (http://cmake.org)

These are build requirements for the latest qt based Bibletime 2.0 that has just been released and I'd like to try to install it on your new rc2. These are readily available, however, I don't want to install them again and risk messing up something if they are already present.

Thanks,
Jim
tazoc

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jun 2009, 23:45    Post_subject:  

Jim1911 wrote:
tazok,

Does LH include the following applications? Also, do I need to use the devx_421.sfs or do you have a LH_devx_421.sfs?
-QT 4.4+
-Boost header files (libboost-dev)
-cmake 2.4.0+ (http://cmake.org)
LHP has qt-3.3.8b. I tried to install qt4 and KDE4 with Gslapt this week on my test build of LHP4 rc3, and the install completes but so far I haven't been able to run any of the apps. I get missing libs and other errors when running them in a terminal. I don't have any experience with Boost or cmake. For compiling in rc2, you'll need the development add-ons at http://www.lhpup.org/download.htm#SFS; scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page.
Quote:
These are build requirements for the latest qt based Bibletime 2.0 that has just been released and I'd like to try to install it on your new rc2. These are readily available, however, I don't want to install them again and risk messing up something if they are already present.
Please back up your pup_save before installing qt4--that's what I did so I could restore it when things didn't work.

Soon I will be posting rc3, which can install (some) of the new .txz packages from Slackware, as well as an SFS of the latest Bibletime that Slackware has (Bibletime-1.6.5.1). But since you want v2.0, I imagine you already have it? Well anyway you can see I was thinking of you... If I figure out how to get qt4 working I'll let you know.
TazOC
[Edit: I got QT 4.4 working, d/l here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=33913]

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 7 of 23 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, ..., 21, 22, 23 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum