smc91c92_cs not working for Ositech Seven of Diamonds

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
timknauf

smc91c92_cs not working for Ositech Seven of Diamonds

#1 Post by timknauf »

I'm trying to get a PCMCIA 'Ositech Seven of Diamonds' network card working on my laptop. According to the PCMCIA-CS page, I can use the smc91c92_cs driver for this card.

Now, the card works fine in Windows Me and Windows 2000, but I have been unable to get it to work in Puppy. I had the same problem when I was trying out Ubuntu recently.

cardmgr gives a low beep when it detects the card. Here is the relevant section from /var/log/messages:

Code: Select all

Jan  3 11:55:45 (none) daemon.notice cardmgr[149]: unsupported card in socket 1
Jan  3 11:55:46 (none) daemon.info cardmgr[149]:   product info: "Ositech", "Trumpcard:7oD-II Ethernet", "400091-003", "00C0E32932A8"
Jan  3 11:55:46 (none) daemon.info cardmgr[149]:   manfid: 0x0140, 0x0025  function: 6 (network)
I can do a

modprobe smc91c92_cs
or load the driver with the cool Puppy network tool, but I still have no eth0 interface listed.

Also,

ifconfig -a
only lists "io", the loopback interface.

So it appears the card might be a second revision (7oD-II) that isn't supported by a Linux driver...? I can't find any information about this distinction (if it even exists) online, though.

I also compiled and installed ndiswrapper, just to check whether I could use Windows drivers for the card (I realise that it was a long shot). That failed as well, but maybe it's the topic for another thread anyway. I can supply details of that failure as well if anyone's interested.