Puppy 4.2.1 Final

News, happenings
WhoDo

Puppy 4.2.1 Final

#1 Post by WhoDo »

I have just uploaded Puppy-4.2.1 final to ibiblio.org and Puppy-4.2.1retro is on its way up as well. Please wait for the retro upload to complete before attempting to download. md5sums are included in the download directory for checking.

This is a bug fix update for Puppy-4.2 and includes very few changes from the original release except for the following:

CUPS-1.3.10 regressed from 1.4b2 to resolve ongoing issues with CUPS printing.
Fixed printing from Geany, Leafpad and Gnumeric using CUPS-1.3.10
Abiword-2.6.3 with 2.6.6 plugins has been patched for improved .doc & .docx support (Liberation ttf fonts required for some documents)
Pwidgets updated to 2.0.8
Pcrypt updated to 17 May 2009 release and now requires Ccrypt to function. Bcrypt has been dropped in consequence.
Ccrypt-1.7 added as dependency for Pcrypt
MIME-types updated in Rox-2.6.1
Patches for gtk+ Xinput and b43 broadcom network driver
Pmusic updated to 0.6.4
Pschedule updated to 0.7
... Plus previously issued patches for nbtscan, mountcifs, jwm-tray, xsane, network wizard (now at April 4 release), mtpaint-snapshot, gtk+2.12.1-Xinput-fix and pcp (Puppy control panel).

This release marks the end of my obligations as Project Coordinator for the 4.2 series of Puppy. I will now move on to testing packages for the new 5.x series Puppy being coordinated by Barry Kauler. Thanks to all of those community members who contributed to the 4.2 series release, both in front of and behind the scenes. A full list is on the puppylinux.org wiki Deepthought project page.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

nic2109

#2 Post by nic2109 »

Despite the bumpy ride following the initial release of 4.2 I hope that the experience hasn't put you off too much.
This release marks the end of my obligations as Project Coordinator for the 4.2 series of Puppy.
I'm really sorry about the unpleasantness that led to your decision and rather ashamed for the Community as a whole.

But hey, you're not leaving but will be doing other things to move puppy forward. Perhaps providing Themes and so on for Puppy 5 which you you done so well for earlier releases.

I note that "you know who" has already got the wrong end of the stick regarding the current look-and-feel of upup, so beware! :wink:
[color=darkblue][b][size=150]Nick[/size][/b][/color]

01micko

#3 Post by 01micko »

AFAIK, WhoDo is still the "package coordinator" for Puppy 5 xx.

(posting from er... 4.21 now!) 8)
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

Thanks Warren :)

Been using 4.2.1 RC3 for the last few days :)
The below are the locations if people wish to mirror

The retro is only required for older hardware - try the standard first

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dist ... monkey.iso 102644 KB
ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dist ... ey.md5.txt

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dist ... monkey.iso 103482 KB
ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dist ... ey.md5.txt

All the big 4.2 Deep Thought compatible programs here can be added
http://tmxxine.com/w/DingoAddons

Barry will be releasing Alpha 9 of Puppy 5.x 'Woof' tomorrow but 4.2.1 is recommended for day to day reliability . . .

Thanks Warren for all your efforts :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Caneri

#5 Post by Caneri »

Hi All,

The new 4.2.1.iso and the 4.2.1-retro.iso is ready here

http://puppylinux.ca/puppyfiles/
http://puppylinux.asia/puppyfiles/
Best,
Eric
Last edited by Caneri on Fri 22 May 2009, 16:12, edited 1 time in total.

tuxr99

#6 Post by tuxr99 »

Thank you for this. Keep up the good work.

Pizzasgood

#7 Post by Pizzasgood »

Cool. I'm gonna go upgrade my sister's computer. She'll be very happy.

This release marks the end of my obligations as Project Coordinator for the 4.2 series of Puppy. I will now move on to...
Woah, not so fast! Any kind of timeline on the 4.2.1 Unleashed packages? ;)

Not trying to rush you or anything, just curious. I can't get to work on my own projects until I have the Unleashed tree. But I have plenty of other stuff to do meanwhile (my uncle has me working on his website in my free time, and my brother introduced me to Oblivion a couple weeks ago).
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Colonel Panic

#8 Post by Colonel Panic »

Well done and thanks for your hard work. I look forward to trying this one soon.

Can I comment on the unpleasantness though, which I've seen a lot of on here recently?

I don't want to name anyone here but I find the whole thing very sad and somewhat depressing. There really aren't any "bad guys" in this as far as I can see, just differing opinions amongst people working hard and long with little or no financial reward to create a good product and get it out into the wider world.

I don't have the knowledge to contribute meaningfully to Puppy, or I'm sure I'd be mixed up with it too.

clarf

#9 Post by clarf »

Many thanks WhoDo, great work...

beambot

package list

#10 Post by beambot »

hello,

who knows exactly which packages in which version are in puppy 4.2.1?
is it posible to update like "apt-get update && upgrade" with the puppy package manager or is there a package list on the cd? i normally luck what version i use and than look at the repo if there are a new one with interesting extras for me.

good work, go on with it!

beambot

Pizzasgood

#11 Post by Pizzasgood »

Oh, and don't forget the devx_421.sfs (yes I know it will be almost the same as devx_420.sfs, and I will be using that for the interim...).

@beambot: No built in system for that, so you'd have to do it by hand. I'm downloading the iso now on my sister's computer. When it finishes I'll upload the packages.txt file for you. Though, like I said the Unleashed packages aren't up yet. You'll have to wait until then to do a manual upgrade. Also, the copy of packages.txt included in 4.2 isn't quite right due to WhoDo's forgetting to rename some of the modified packages, which have since been renamed. The copy of packages.txt in the unleashed-core package for 4.2 should be accurate though, so you could compare against that one to see which things are new (I'll upload it for you too).

I don't know if the initrd.gz file has changed. If not, then you should be able to do a sort of rolling update by grabbing the packages when they become availible (but your version number will still read 420 instead of 421 unless you edit the initrd.gz file). If it has changed, you could still do it if you use a Frugal or USB install. You'd just need somebody to upload the new initrd.gz file for you (I can do this if you need it). In that case, your version number would be updated - in fact, unless you manually updated the copy in /etc/puppyversion before rebooting into the new intrd.gz file, you'd trigger the built-in update script, which would probably be undesirable if doing a manual upgrade. (The code I wrote in 4.2 that let's you not update doesn't opt-out, it just switches you into something similar to pfix=ram mode).
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

mawebb88

Thanks

#12 Post by mawebb88 »

Just downloading 4.2.1. Many thanks to all the team especially WhoDo.

Rgds Mike

Pizzasgood

#13 Post by Pizzasgood »

Okay, here you go. Note that you should make a backup before attempting to do a manual upgrade (or any kind of upgrade...). And some of those packages might be tricky to change on a running system - might be easier to boot into pfix=ram mode, mount the pup_save.2fs file, extract the .pet packages, and manually copy them in.

Also be aware that manually adding or removing certain packages could reset some of your personal settings.

Re Puppy 4.2.1: Ooo, I see there are finally separate 'defaultmusicplayer' and 'defaultvideoplayer' wrappers. Good stuff. I've been manually setting that up on my own systems for years now (except I've been using defaultaudioplayer instead). Very nice to see it already done this time.
EDIT: Oh, wow, I'm not very observant at all. 4.2 already had those. It just wasn't using them so I didn't notice, and I actually went ahead and made my own defaultaudio wrapper without realizing defaultmusic already existed. :roll:

My sister's computer is running fine so far, no problems I can see. Though I haven't tested it hard. And I just installed and tested SCIM, works fine this time.
Attachments
packages.txt-420-unleashed.gz
(18.33 KiB) Downloaded 2324 times
packages.txt-421.gz
(18.82 KiB) Downloaded 2367 times
changes.gz
(690 Bytes) Downloaded 2260 times
Last edited by Pizzasgood on Fri 22 May 2009, 23:21, edited 1 time in total.

beambot

package list

#14 Post by beambot »

@pizza...: thx for the work and infos! ;)

greetings

alex12

#15 Post by alex12 »

Thanks WhoDo and everyone else who made this release possible! I can't wait to burn it to cd and boot it.
This release marks the end of my obligations as Project Coordinator for the 4.2 series of Puppy.
Is this realy the last 4.x release before the Woof based 5.x?

Dingo

NETGEAR WG311v3 working in Puppy Linux 4.2.1

#16 Post by Dingo »

An interesting note

my wireless adapter

NETGEAR WG311v3

working fine in Puppy 3.01 series, via NDISWAPPER, NEVER worked in Puppy 4.1, 4.1.1, 4.1.2, 4.2

now, in puppy 4.2.1, seems working without pains. today, (I'll reply tomorrow to make a double check)
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

Billwho?
Trialing 4.20

#17 Post by Billwho? »

alex12 wrote:Is this realy the last 4.x release before the Woof based 5.x?
Probably not; just the last with WhoDo as co-ordinator. There is talk of a CE version and from what I understand the 1.xx series is the only one not currently under some form of development. So anything is possible.
Linux = Learning through doing :shock: :? :D
The learning curve may be steep but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
You just have to pass the occasional oncoming train to get there.

sasaqqdan

#18 Post by sasaqqdan »

Puppy 4.21 in fat32 drive,how to solve this question:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 772#306772
Attachments
puppy421-error01.jpg
Puppy 4.21 in fat32 drive
(53.73 KiB) Downloaded 5261 times

WhoDo

#19 Post by WhoDo »

Pizzasgood wrote:Any kind of timeline on the 4.2.1 Unleashed packages? ;)
Unleashed core for 4.2.1 is now up. New and updated .pet packages have already been uploaded too.
Pizzasgood wrote:Oh, and don't forget the devx_421.sfs (yes I know it will be almost the same as devx_420.sfs, and I will be using that for the interim...).
In the process of uploading as I post this response.

Am I done now? :P :lol:
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

01micko

#20 Post by 01micko »

Am I done now? :P :lol:
Yes... now go, seeya
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access