Xircom Realport 10/100 + Modem 56 (RBEM56G-100) problems!

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
Sythem

Xircom Realport 10/100 + Modem 56 (RBEM56G-100) problems!

#1 Post by Sythem »

No info found about the device 115d. 3 (ETHERNET)!

No info found about the device 104c.ac1c (CARDBUS)!

No info found about the device 104c.ac1c (CARDBUS)!

This is what I get using the modules probe. I loaded the xircom_cb module for my Xircom Realport 10/100 + Modem 56 (RBEM56G-100) and the light comes on and Puppy recognizes it but it won't connect to the network. Is cardmgr not working or something? Someone please assist me in fixing the problem.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

I'm sorry no one has replied, but I guess your hardware must be pretty unusual. Anyway, after you loaded the xircom_cb module, did you try to connect using the wizard?

timsmith

Xircom PCMCIA Realmodem and Ethernet Card

#3 Post by timsmith »

I am using an IBM ThinkPad 600x with a Xircom PCMCIA that is a combination ethernet and 56k modem. Puppy finds it just fine, and the Gdial dialer works just fine for my dialup ISP. I have not tried it for ethernet connection.

BUT, I am also running a Dell Inspiron laptop with an identical Xircom card. Puppy works fine here, but neither the modem wizard nor Gdial can find the modem. However, Wvdial is able to locate the modem (ttys4), and will connect to my ISP, but seems to timeout before the username and password can be verified. I do not know enough about modem initialization strings to see if there is a way to lengthen the timeout period.

So, go figure.

seppi

Re: Xircom PCMCIA Realmodem and Ethernet Card

#4 Post by seppi »

timsmith wrote:I am using an IBM ThinkPad 600x with a Xircom PCMCIA that is a combination ethernet and 56k modem. Puppy finds it just fine, and the Gdial dialer works just fine for my dialup ISP. I have not tried it for ethernet connection.

BUT, I am also running a Dell Inspiron laptop with an identical Xircom card. Puppy works fine here, but neither the modem wizard nor Gdial can find the modem. However, Wvdial is able to locate the modem (ttys4), and will connect to my ISP, but seems to timeout before the username and password can be verified. I do not know enough about modem initialization strings to see if there is a way to lengthen the timeout period.

So, go figure.
Where can I find the mentioned driver "xircom_cb". It doesn't appear in the list of Ethernet wizard.

sazeile

#5 Post by sazeile »

I have tried a Xircom RBEM56G-100 in a HP Compaq nc6000 Laptop. I'm running Puppy 1.0.6. WvDial found the modem as /dev/ttyS4 and I was able to get Penggy to work after modifying the config file to look for that device. I tried getting the Ethernet port to work and loaded the xirc2ps_cs driver using the Ethernet Wizard. While the driver loaded, the port didn't work. The wizard is looking for Eth0 and Eth1. Maybe this thing is Eth4. Not sure where to look for the ethernet device numbers.

Steve