How old is old

Booting, installing, newbie
Wac

How old is old

#1 Post by Wac »

Right Puppy linux can run on a old computer, but how old is old. People differ over the minimum reqierments. I have a 400Mhz Pentium mashine, with 128Mb Ram and a 10Gb Hard drive. Will this run Puppy Linux 4.2, with open office 3.0.1, and with a Huawei E220 3G modem? And by the way how do you load the E220 modem?

Burn_IT

#2 Post by Burn_IT »

If you install to the disk, it should be ok.
I've got a P233 with 96Mb and a 4Gb drive that works with 4.12???. I don't have OO on it, but I suppose I could try it.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

mikeb

#3 Post by mikeb »

It should but if you get any issues with say detecting drives then use the retro version.
It will run fine but picking up extra ram from ebay is cheap and well worth it.

Some of those 3g modems are a case of plug in and run the connection wizard...wvdial works great for me but you will need your connection info....usually its standard for each network..I found mine on google...login/number/password and atm? They are designed to run like the old dial up modems as far as connecting goes.
Some need flipping from memory stick to modem mode (windows software setup included types)...performing an eject usually does it but this is something to search on the forum for if simply plug and connect fails...I won't confuse with details you may not need.

mike

Wac

Booting up

#4 Post by Wac »

O.K. but my next problem is that the BIOS of that computer does not support booting up from a CD. Can I put the hard disk in a newer computer, load Puppy Linux 4.2 and put it back in the old one?

Burn_IT

#5 Post by Burn_IT »

Yes

Bruce B

#6 Post by Bruce B »

You don't need the BIOS to support booting the CD-ROM to boot the CD-ROM

You can use a floppy disk to boot the CD-ROM drive by using
the kit at the URL linked below.

Old Bios Floppy Disk Kit

Burn_IT

#7 Post by Burn_IT »

I think Grub4Dos works with CDs and I think it will boot an ISO image on a hard drive.
And a boot manager called PLoP works with Non BIOS bootable Cds/DVD AND USB drives that are not BIOS bootable.

floborg

#8 Post by floborg »

Burn_IT wrote:I think Grub4Dos works with CDs and I think it will boot an ISO image on a hard drive.
And a boot manager called PLoP works with Non BIOS bootable Cds/DVD AND USB drives that are not BIOS bootable.
In my limiting testing, I've found that Grub4DOS's map command to boot from an ISO will only get you through the isolinux boot screen and the loading of the kernel and initrd. After that, the initrd live environment doesn't know where to find the files it needs to complete the bootup.

It's still an experimental feature, apparently, and works best with Windows-based images. In the meantime, I think Barry has added the ability to boot straight from an ISO for woof5. I am not sure what value this adds since you probably still have to extract the kernel and initrd. One more file extraction (SFS) and you don't need the ISO anymore.
Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick
Core 2 Quad 2.4 GHz | 2 GB RAM