How I connected a ZTE 636 wifi modem to Netcom

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Kark

How I connected a ZTE 636 wifi modem to Netcom

#1 Post by Kark »

Hi,

I finally managed to get a reliable connection with the ZTE 636 modem. My connection was to the norwegian mobile broadband provider netcom This recipe worked for me:

1) Connect the modem to a machine with windows XP.

2) Open hyperterminal and connect to the port of your modem (for me it was com3) write AT+ZCDRUN=8 and press enter. You should get a message telling you the operation was successful. this will disable the CDautorun thing, making it useless for new installations in a windows machine, but puppy will now recognise it as a modem. To bring back the autoinstallation feature, open hyperterminal and send AT+ZCDRUN=9)

3)Boot Puppy. Install 3G_pupdial-wireless-9.pet, option-patched-01Apr09-k2.6.25.16.pet, and usb-storage-ZTE-patch-k2.6.25.16.pet.

4) Plug in the modem.

5) Run pgprs-setup from the network menu, enter /dev/ttyUSB3 for the modem, enter pin-code, phone number(for me, *99#) and adress of the internet provider (for me internet.netcom.no).

6) Run pgprs-connect from the network menu.

7) Now, if your connection is like mine, you'll get wrong dns on the first try (10. something). If you get this, then disconnect. After a while, reconnect. This time you'll get the right dns( 212. something).

8) Verify that you have a file /etc/resolve.conf with nameservers beginning with 212, (or create such a file with nameservers from open dns)

9) comment usepeerdns( put a # in front of the word) wherever you find it ( /etc/ppp/wvdial,/etc/ppp/peers/gmmrs ....I can't really remember, and I don't have the machine here, but you'll find it ...)

Now the connection should work correctly every time you connect, but you still have to wait til after boot before connecting the modem.

I hope this was useful.

Kark

Sonapuito

ZTE USB EVDO Modem -- how to configure

#2 Post by Sonapuito »

Hello Kark - thanks a lot for your post. However I am new to Linux and do not know much about installing packages etc... I am from India and have a USB EVDO modem from ZTE (Tata Indicom as the service provider) which I would like to connect through Puppy. The CD came with the modem had a dialer for Windows -- so I am forced to use Win XP to get on to the internet... :roll:

Now my questions are as below:

1. can I follow the same process as you have described above for getting the connection up?

2. if yes, how do I install these packages as it would mean connecting Puppy to internet -- but my modem is still not connected. (I don't have any other connectivity right now except this Modem).

3. after disabling the modem for the auto-run, can I use it in the same way in Windows using the dialer software pls? (the dialer software needs to be triggered manually by double clicking its icon)

Please help... I have Puppy 4.2 and also the previous version to that.

Thank you in advance....

Kark

Re: ZTE USB EVDO Modem -- how to configure

#3 Post by Kark »

Sonapuito wrote:
1. can I follow the same process as you have described above for getting the connection up?
I don't know. Can you find out anything more about the modem?
Sonapuito wrote:2. if yes, how do I install these packages as it would mean connecting Puppy to internet -- but my modem is still not connected. (I don't have any other connectivity right now except this Modem).
you need to download these packages first. You can for instance store them on a usb-pen. Once you boot in puppy, you can click on the .pet-files to install.
Sonapuito wrote:3. after disabling the modem for the auto-run, can I use it in the same way in Windows using the dialer software pls? (the dialer software needs to be triggered manually by double clicking its icon)
You can use it on a machine where the software is already installed (If you have plugged it into a XP machine once, it will work on this machine) but not on other windows machines, then you need to reverse the process first.

Hope this was of some help

Kark

T_Hobbit

#4 Post by T_Hobbit »

It works for me with my ZTE MF627!
I will create a How-to for my modem... just a link for your's!!!

Thanks!
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

maxt

Downloading .pets needed.

#5 Post by maxt »

Hi , i just got puppy to run on my net book and i too have a ZTE MF636. I want to know wehere i xan download the files needed in your post to do what you did. I red Rerwins post and downloaded 3G_pupdial-wireless-12.pet and usb_modeswitch-1.0.2.pet from his links there but id like to try your method first since its specific to ZTE modem.

Thanx and great work guys!!!

droope

#6 Post by droope »

Hi there :)

I am about to buy a ZTE MF 636 modem (again, this modem follows me! :P).

It seems that one could install it on puppy linux?

I have some doubts, if someone would be so kind and knowledgeable:
  1. 1- (optional :P) Regarding point one, connecting to a windows XP machine. Is there any way to not do so? I do not own a legal copy of windows XP, and would rather acquire some linux experience. :)
    2- Hyperterminal? Does he mean this?
    3- How to connect to/determine which is the port of my modem? Any way of doing this on Linux?
I will be infinitely grateful :) ( and will add all info to the wiki. )

Cheers!
Droope.
What seems hard is actually easy, while what looks like impossible is in fact hard.

“Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer.â€￾ –Percy Cerutty

[url=http://droope.wordpress.com/]Mi blog[/url] (Spanish)