power management not working? (laptop, puppy 1.05)

Booting, installing, newbie

is puppy's power management working on your LAPTOP?

yes
17%
no
83%

Total votes: 12

J_Rey

#21 Post by J_Rey »

Using hdparm -S 5 /dev/hda worked fine with 1.0.7 beta for me, except that in earlier versions I never needed to specify it, it always spun down both of my hard drives normally (and separately too!). BTW, I haven't tried it yet, but does this setting get saved on reboot?

BlackAdder

re: hdparm

#22 Post by BlackAdder »

With Puppy 1.0.7, check_space will not be running for most users, so there should not be a need to use hdparm. I don't think it likely that the spin-down setting of hdparm would carry across reboots.
BTW - there was no change in the behaviour of Puppy re ACPI after my notebook was upgraded to 1.0.7, but the disk does shut down after 2 minutes of inactivity. This value was set via the BIOS and now seems effective - might have been under 1.0.5 if check_space had not been running.

Atchbo

#23 Post by Atchbo »

Hello,

I have the same hot processor + fan noise on my Averatec 6200 series (see other post) and have added the modprobe lines to rc.local (now I can see the temp). However, it still runs hot... how can we throttle back the CPU to get the heat down as in other linuxes (& windows)?

Cheers,
Atchbo

BlackAdder

#24 Post by BlackAdder »

Atchbo - What is "hot" in your case?
When ACPI is active it gets information from the BIOS about when to switch on the fan etc. and when to throttle back the processor. The settings are created by the motherboard maker. They are stored in a folder under /proc/acpi as "trip points". In my case, the trip point to run the fan is 70C, and the danger level is 90C. So the fan starts when ACPI detects a temperature of 70C or above, and it stops when the temperature falls below 55C.
In some cases, the processor speed is throttled back only when the machine is running on battery; in others "Intel Speedstep" can dynamically adjust the processor speed. There is a Linux Intel Speedstep support module to handle the latter case, but Speedstep support is not built into Puppy.
Does the manual for your machine say anything about CPU throttling?
There is an extensive ACPI HowTo if you want to read more at http://www.columbia.edu/~ariel/acpi/acpi_howto.txt
This site shows how you might throttle back the processor manually.

Hope this helps.