Request for pdfcreator dotpup

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
CC

Request for pdfcreator dotpup

#1 Post by CC »

Could someone make a pup of pdfcreator (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... e_id=53473 )? I do not have a printer attached to my computer, but if I can print to a pdf file, that would be nice. Thanks.

MU

#2 Post by MU »

Please try the forumsearch, KLH has made several PDF-Dotpups.

Mark

klhrevolutionist

hi

#3 Post by klhrevolutionist »

You are in luck. If you are in puppy, open up the menu and go to
utilities. In there you will see puppyPDF press & have fun. Also, as MU mentioned there are several pdf manipulation tools for puppy. Very good to say we have accomplished much in this area.
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

CC

#4 Post by CC »

I am not quite sure if it is what I wanted (convert to pdf file or manipulate pdf file) unless I missed something. When I see a good web page, I would like to print direct to a file as a pdf file (only one step) - pdfcreator acts just like a printer.

klhrevolutionist

ok

#5 Post by klhrevolutionist »

Well if you want to print webpages, you can go to mozilla and press file. And go to print !!! YAY Yes it can be done, come to the irc channe
if you need help learning how to.

CC

#6 Post by CC »

Did I ever mention that it cannot be done? I used to print to PS files then convert to pdf files a lot. I simply ask an alternative (as I mentioned-one step), and if you are not willing to help, keep quiet. If you just want to provide an "alternative" to what I want, do not yell. Easy, it is new year day after all...

klhrevolutionist

hmm

#7 Post by klhrevolutionist »

I was trying to be helpful!!

I may have misunderstood ?

You want to convert files & webpages to postscript or pdf ?

Right now I am tinkering with puppy pdf so that it stops when it converts files to postscript. As for webpages I am pretty sure that last night we told someone maybe you on the irc how to convert webpages to postscript, as I mentioned above ^

Now, if there is something I am missing let me know.

CC

#8 Post by CC »

Well, you know, everyone has his/her own preference. I just like that one. Do not get me wrong, your effort and contribution (and many others too) to this community is very much appreciated, and I like Puppy very much since I installed it on my harddrive. BTW, I never used irc, and that person wasn't me.

klhrevolutionist

hmm

#9 Post by klhrevolutionist »

try this http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=5043

This converts many different file formats to postscript.

If you need help getting to the puppy irc channel go here,

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PuppyLinuxIRC

If I am on the right track let me know. That way I can be on the right track.

CC

#10 Post by CC »

KLH,
In the past I used this way to make a pdf file (with Windows), I installed a PS printer driver, then printed to a file, the file would be a PS file, then I converted it to PDF file. Since I found pdfcreator, it became my favorite.

When I started to use Puppy, I noticed puppy has a PS printer driver. For a web page, I simply print to a file, the file is a PS file, then use ghost to convert to PDF file. The things I do not like are, 1-it is two steps, 2-it seems the printing eats a lot of CPU (my old p2-333 freezes for over 20 seconds for a 5-page print). That was why I started this thread.

Hope I make myself understood better.
Thank you for your help.
CC

klhrevolutionist

#11 Post by klhrevolutionist »

Well if we can draw some support for this thread. This task can be automated most likely. I can try, but can tell you know I have no clue how to manipulate mozilla. If someone would bge so kind as to help out, with the mozilla part. This can be accomplished.

On another note.
As for puppyPDF it needs upgraded as it is not rendering fonts like it used to ? Maybe has something to do with the freetype font thingy added to puppy ?

Or an idea would be to use xpdf. As it seems to be maintained and it has no problem rendering fonts.

jmarsden

Making Mozilla print to PDF

#12 Post by jmarsden »

klhrevolutionist wrote:Well if we can draw some support for this thread. This task can be automated most likely. I can try, but can tell you know I have no clue how to manipulate mozilla. If someone would bge so kind as to help out, with the mozilla part. This can be accomplished.
SInce Puppy includes ps2pdf, why not just edit the Mozilla printer config dialog to have it call that, rather than lpr? For a "quick hack" implementation: Click on File -> Print -> Properties and replace the "Print Command:" string

Code: Select all

lpr ${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME:+'-P'}${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME}
with

ps2pdf - /root/my-documents/new-pdf-file.pdf
Now when you print from Mozilla, it will create a PDF with that name. No dotpup needed, just a matter of configuration of existing software to do what the user wants :-)

Of course, a little script in there in backticks, which pops up a file selector dialog and outputs the path and filename on stdout, so the user can choose the output file name, might be a nice enhancement -- one I will "leave as an exercise for the reader" :wink:

Another possible enhancement would be to set this up as a second "printer" config rather than editing the default one, so the user can then easily choose to either print as normal via lpr, or print to PDF.

In any event, the principle should now be clear.

Jonathan

CC

#13 Post by CC »

I found a perfect solution for my need.

s=`date "+%y%m%d_%H%M%S"`;s="/root/my-documents/$s.pdf";ps2pdf - $s
Thank you, Jon.
CC

jmarsden

#14 Post by jmarsden »

Glad to help.

BTW you could shorten your code and avoid using the intermediate variable s. Try

ps2pdf - /root/my-documents/`date +%y%m%d_%H%M%S`.pdf
Jonathan

jcoder24

#15 Post by jcoder24 »