This msg typed on a puppy with kernel 2.6.14

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Ted Dog

This msg typed on a puppy with kernel 2.6.14

#1 Post by Ted Dog »

Finally figured out how to compile and merge kernel 2.6.14 with puppy 1.06.
used only puppy with usr_devx to compile and GRUB to launch mixed puppy.
Too long to explain, just to say major hacking had to unsquash /usr
I have no Idea how ethernet just worked, no modules loaded, no sound yet.
got mouse to work.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

:) Congratulations. I for one prefer the 2.6 kernel (others had difficulties when Barry incorporated it in Puppy 1.0.2). Will be interesting to see how you progress . . . :D
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

ted guest dog

very good playback with gine/107a w/ Xorg

#3 Post by ted guest dog »

moving to 107a with 2.6.14, same hardware different results with xorg config script no errors (second Horz line did not happen) best picture ever on my puppy, used vx console does not work

Ted XTRME dog

k2.6.14 w/squash2.2 & unionfs1.1.1

#4 Post by Ted XTRME dog »

Got everything to work, but sound, with 1.07a. setup normalish boot, complains about mods dir. however.

Was able to patch kernel 2.6.14 with/squashfs and unionfs and reuse Barrys' init scripts.

bombayrockers

#5 Post by bombayrockers »

Great job ted dog, I was myself trying to get 2.6.12 running in puppy and got it partially running (without sound and net). May be we can work together on this one.

Ted Dog

Sounds good!

#6 Post by Ted Dog »

Yes sound has been a problem. how can we work on this?
here is a link to 2.6.14 bzimage use in place of 2.4 kernel.
codename: eXtreme Puppy
http://www.puptrix.org/xp/bzImage

WARNING NOT FOR THE WEAK OF HEART

bombayrockers

#7 Post by bombayrockers »

This attachment is the shell script used by BarryK to pick modules for 1.0.2. May be it can be of use to us in picking the ESSENTIAL modules. By the way me saying 'sound was not working' means that I dont know which modules to pick and which ones to leave so I had deleted the sound and net modules from the /lib/modules and created a new image.gz using the rest modules (approx size of the .gz was 20 mb). Would get smaller if we pick the essential modules. Also we need to edit the rc.sysinit and rc.modules to make it work properly.
Attachments
updatemodules-k2.6.sh.gz
(2.52 KiB) Downloaded 356 times

Ted Dog

found out that I left off oss support in kernel config

#8 Post by Ted Dog »

the kernel is missing oss support I used ASLA instead, and embedded most drivers in kernel

bombayrockers

#9 Post by bombayrockers »

So when can we expect an vmlinuz and image.gz. FYI I have ported kernel 2.6 (2.6.11.7) and modules from puppy 1.0.2 to work completely (sound , network ..etc ) with 1.0.6 rc scripts . I have not posted it since you are already working on kernel 2.6.14

here is a screen shot
Attachments
kernel26.jpg
(70.38 KiB) Downloaded 1421 times

New Puppy Fan

2.6 kernel

#10 Post by New Puppy Fan »

bombayrockers wrote:FYI I have ported kernel 2.6 (2.6.11.7) and modules from puppy 1.0.2 to work completely (sound , network ..etc ) with 1.0.6 rc scripts . I have not posted it since you are already working on kernel 2.6.14
Good job, bombayrockers. I was trying to do the same, but no luck so far - I don't have experience with Linux. I'm using 2.6.11.7 without sound. Really appreciate if you could post your results.

New Puppy Fan

2.6 kernel

#11 Post by New Puppy Fan »

bombayrockers wrote:FYI I have ported kernel 2.6 (2.6.11.7) and modules from puppy 1.0.2 to work completely (sound , network ..etc ) with 1.0.6 rc scripts . I have not posted it since you are already working on kernel 2.6.14
Good job, bombayrockers. I was trying to do the same, but no luck so far - I don't have experience with Linux. I'm using 2.6.11.7 without sound. Really appreciate if you could post your results.