HanSamBen-a derivative of Edupup with Gcompris 8.4- Alpha V2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
ecomoney

#21 Post by ecomoney »

Well, yes...just the thought of using FreeDOS, which really is free, to run programs designed for Microsoft products....

Looking into it, and DOS's history (which I wasnt aware of), I can see comparatively there is really no compromise at all, its all above board and a perfectly acceptable way to get kids educated.

Ive been busy on my facebook, and think I have a few more testers for the home version with the ntfs/fat drivers taken out. Ive also been sent links to a lot of very active parenting forums. I will contact the Mods there to see if we would be able to offer some more testing versions to the people on there. Chances are they will be quite IT literate, have kids, and be able to use a forum to report back here!

I can see this being brilliant for parents just for being able to boot the computer with the CD in and go get on with another job around the house, safe in the knowledge that there little ones were safe and learning. The internet has suffered a bad press from the TV (basically because its going to supercede the TV!), and I believe HanSamBen would be of benefit to a lot more children if we could say that it was totally incapable of accessing the internet at all. I know there are a lot of resources (cbeebies.com) etc for children online, but this would require parental supervision.

i.e. If we could say "will not effect your M$ windows install and will never let your children on the internet" it would attract a lot more parents to provide it to their kids.

This would we could removw seamonkey/firepup which would make a lot of room for extra games and activities. If we were to aim it at being able to boot into ram at 256mb then that would be a definate "sweet spot" that would still make a lot of computers available that wernt useful for running XP or any other linux.

Just some ideas.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

sullysat

#22 Post by sullysat »

I know I just started looking at this, but I'm very excited. I really liked Edupup but felt that it didn't focus as clearly on the younglings as I would like.

I agree with the idea of taking the internet out of the equation too. If the focus of the puplet is children and skill building, they don't need to have internet capability enabled.

OR

leave the connection wizard and one browser but bury them in the menu out of the way. But freeing up space for good quality learning games is a hugely good idea.

Sully

sidders

#23 Post by sidders »

focus of the puplet is children and skill building,
I rubbed my chin for countless hours wondering whether to put a browser in and with wireless issues and this game in with the space issues. In the end i just posted what i had and stopped fiddling. It was worth it. Nurseries do not use the internet (well the ones i deal with dont) and if little Johnny is just going to boot i to go on the internet, then he can use daddies vista. I can make versions with and without, then you have the choice.

With the Dos games. I have played with a couple. I have used Dosbox 0.72 (without the GUI). Each game has a script. eg:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
dosbox -conf /root/dos/Learn123.conf
This script will direct dosbox to the conf file of that particular game. In the Autoexec part of the conf file, eg Learn123.conf

Mount c ~ /dos/Learn123/Learn123.conf
c:
Learn123
Exit

the Exit command will automatically close dosbox after the game is closed. Put the file in /user/bin. Create a .desktop file to integrate it into Puppy more so you can start the game from the Fun menu.

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Learnabc
Icon=/root/gobilly.gif
Comment= ABC learning game
Exec=Learn123
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Game
GenericName=Learnabc

I went to the nursery as well today, they have managed to crash the machine. I get a white background with a folder called home. Thats it. I swapped it out and will investigate later. The staff arent as articulate as the ones Rob deal with when it comes to curicullum etc, i just got out of them that the kids loved it, so i thought the quote from sullysat is an ideal focus.

Rob i am interested in the Early years DVD. Let know when its posted and i didnt think of the parenting forums, which is odd as ive browsed them myself a number of times. Thats the problem with being a stay-at-home-dad, your brain goes to mush!.

If anyone stumbles across a Dos game that they think would be good- post.

Thanks- Sidder (Sid)
Edited, worked out dosbox and .desktop entry. ammended above

Another edit, sorted out the script and dosbox.conf. Sorry for feeding false info[/code]
Last edited by sidders on Tue 05 May 2009, 20:31, edited 3 times in total.

sidders

#24 Post by sidders »

Forgot to mention. The new machine i put into the nursey i tweaked the Gcompris. I posted this on the other Gcompris thread:
You can remove\hide apps that crash or are too much for the little ones in Gcompris admin console.
gcompris -a

Go to Profiles and add a profile. Within that profile add the 'All users' group. Then make the profile default.

Go to Boards and expand the categories and individual boards and deselect the ones that may cause problems or that you think are too much for your particular age group.
I also took Robs advise and changed the wallpaper to a happy bouncy wallpaper from:
http://www.flash-screen.com/free-wallpa ... _6911.html

I locked down the icons so they couldnt delete them, but you can still maove them around and (I may have mentioned this before), shut out the menus by editing
/etc/xdg/templates/_root.jwmrc_

saved a copy as origonal_root_.jwmrc

and wiped the menus and put !-- before Menu label (below) then fixmenus and restarted JWM.

<!--Menu label="Shutdown" icon="shutdown24.png" height="16">
Gotta remember to populate the desktop first with the games.

Peter444 has mentioned the cursor in this thread and have done it for the desktop. Havnt solved the big red cursor in Gcompris though.

sidders

#25 Post by sidders »

Me again

Just made pets of some dos games for kids and posted them here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=42119

I will include them in the next release.

Coming soon!

Ta for the suggestion Rob

sullysat

#26 Post by sullysat »

Sounding good!

Finally, a reason to find homes for some of these computers!

Sully

sandyb

thanks

#27 Post by sandyb »

iam the preschool supervisor in scunthorpe where we are testing hansamben. we really like the new wallpaper rob has shown me. its very bright and will atract the childrens attention to use it. our children find the games fun and are learning while playing. they have gained good skills on this software which will help them when they go to school. they love to paint and drop and drag and the dot to dot. thankyou keep up the good work. sandra :D

sidders

#28 Post by sidders »

Thanks Sandy, its good having news from the front line (as it where). Any requests or ideas?. Dont be shy :lol:

ecomoney

#29 Post by ecomoney »

Sandra was the one that provided the info in my report above.

Cheers for registering Sandra :-)
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

ecomoney

#30 Post by ecomoney »

Hi All, regarding the ntfs drivers/ little ones access to the hard drive/internet, Ive heard back from Barryk who I pm'ed about it. This explains why deleting the ntfs3g driver had no effect!

I will post his pm in full (as its only technical information)
BarryK wrote:The problem is, ntfs and fat drivers are built-in to the kernel. They were not configured as separate modules.

We do have the separate ntfs-3g driver, which is the enhanced ntfs driver, however the more basic driver that comes with the kernel source has been configured as built-in.

So, you would have to compile the kernel with these as modules, or block loading of filesystems in some other way.

One other way is to modify /bin/mount, which is a script. It really depends how clever these kids are, as someone knowledgeable could open /bin/mount in a text editor and change it any way they want.

But, you could modify /bin/mount to put up a message saying, "this operation is not allowed". It is possible to distinguish between internal and usb drives -- see the ATADRIVES variable in /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE.
Heres the /bin/mount file mentioned

#!/bin/sh
#BK 2006 www.puppylinux.com
#2007 Lesser GPL licence v2 (http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/lgpl.html)
#v407 fix for floppy drive icon.
#v409 gparted create ext3 part. failed, fixed by making /etc/mtab a symlink.

#mount-FULL, umount-FULL, losetup-FULL are the full versions.
#The Busybox versions of mount and umount are available but only by:
# # busybox mount ...
# # busybox umount ...
#mount and umount are now scripts.
#if an ntfs partition, puppy uses user-mode ntfs-3g driver.
#the mount and umount scripts allow seamless mounting and unmounting of ntfs f.s.

[ ! $1 ] && exec busybox mount

#i realised this script has to allow reentrancy. So, all temp file now unique,
#using ${$} which is pid of script.
MYPID=${$}

. /etc/rc.d/functions4puppy4 #v4.02

#v2.12 discovered difference between $@ and $*. Replaced all $@ with $* in this script...

#extract all the '-' options, on separate lines... do NOT use $@!!!!...
#v3.93 eliminate ' -- ' and all past it...
DASHOPTS="`echo "$*" | tr '\t' ' '  | sed -e 's/ -- .*//' | tr ' ' '\n' | grep '^\-'`"

#needs an explicit '-t ntfs', does not work with /etc/fstab...
if [ "`echo "$*" | grep 'ntfs'`" = "" ];then

#v3.93 always use full mount, in case of params not understood by bb-mount...
 ##v2.10 hack for T2, scripts have '--bind'...
 #if [ "`echo -n "$*" | grep '\-\-bind'`" = "" ];then
 # busybox mount $@
 # RETVAL=$?
 #else
 # #busybox mount does not support '--bind'
 # #as have mtab file (see below), can now use full mount...
  #v409 put in '-n' option as now have /etc/mtab symlink to /proc/mounts...
  mount-FULL -n ${@}
  RETVAL=$?
 #fi

else
 #screen out all the options...
 CMDPRMS="`echo -n "$*" | tr '\t' ' ' | tr -s ' ' | tr ' ' '\n' | grep '^/' | tr '\n' ' '`"
 #kirk advised these options so Rox will not complain about file
 #permissions when copy a file to a ntfs partition...
 [ -f /tmp/ntfsmnterr${MYPID}.txt ] && rm -f /tmp/ntfsmnterr${MYPID}.txt

ntfs-3g $CMDPRMS -o umask=0,no_def_opts 2>/tmp/ntfsmnterr${MYPID}.txt
 RETVAL=$?
 #v2.16 ntfs-3g v1.417, part. scheduled for check, failed with value 10...
 #v4.00 ntfs-3g v1.2412 does not have 4,10, has 15 for dirty f.s., 14 hiberneted...
 if [ $RETVAL -eq 4 -o $RETVAL -eq 10 -o $RETVAL -eq 15 -o $RETVAL -eq 14 ];then  #try to force it...
  if [ $RETVAL -eq 14 ];then
   #ntfs-3g $CMDPRMS -o umask=0,no_def_opts,remove_hiberfile 2>/tmp/ntfsmnterr${MYPID}.txt
   #RETVAL=$?
   echo > /dev/null
  else
   ntfs-3g $CMDPRMS -o force,umask=0,no_def_opts 2>/tmp/ntfsmnterr${MYPID}.txt
   RETVAL=$?
   ERRMSG1="`cat /tmp/ntfsmnterr${MYPID}.txt`"
   echo "$ERRMSG1"
   if [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ];then
    echo "WARNING: NTFS f.s. mounted read/write but corrupted."
    [ ! "`pidof X`" = "" ] && nohup gxmessage -bg red -center -title "NTFS WARNING" "The ntfs-3g driver was able to mount the NTFS
partition but returned this error message:
$ERRMSG1

It is mounted read/write, but advice is only write
to it in emergency situation. Recommendation is
boot Windows and fix the filesystem first!!!" &
   fi
  fi
 fi

#ntfs-3g plays very safe and will not mount if thinks anything
 #wrong with ntfs f.s. But, we may want to recover files from a
 #damaged windows. So, fall back to the kernel ntfs driver...
 if [ ! $RETVAL -eq 0 ];then
  #mount read-only...
  busybox mount -r -t ntfs $CMDPRMS
  RETVAL=$?
  ERRMSG1="`cat /tmp/ntfsmnterr${MYPID}.txt`"
  echo "$ERRMSG1"
  if [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ];then
   echo "WARNING: NTFS f.s. mounted read-only."
   [ ! "`pidof X`" = "" ] && nohup gxmessage -bg red -center -title "NTFS WARNING" "The ntfs-3g driver was unable to mount the NTFS
partition and returned this error message:
$ERRMSG1

So, the inbuilt kernel NTFS driver has been used
to mount the partition read-only." &
  fi
 fi
fi

#v4.02 if there is a desktop icon (see pup_eventd), then refresh it...
if [ $RETVAL -eq 0 -a "$DISPLAY" != "" ];then
 DEVNAME="`busybox mount | tail -n 1 | grep '^/dev/' | cut -f 1 -d ' ' | cut -f 3 -d '/'`"
 if [ "$DEVNAME" != "" ];then
  DRVNAME="`echo -n "$DEVNAME" | cut -c 1-3`"
  #special case, SD card /dev/mmcblk0p1...
  [ "$DRVNAME" = "mmc" ] && DRVNAME="`echo -n "$DEVNAME" | sed -e 's/p[0-9]$//'`"
  xDRVNAME="$DRVNAME" #v404
  [ -d /root/.pup_event/drive_${DEVNAME} ] && DRVNAME="$DEVNAME" #icon for each partition.
  if [ -d /root/.pup_event/drive_${DRVNAME} ];then
   case $DRVNAME in #v407
    fd*)
     DRV_CATEGORY="floppy"
    ;;
    *)
     dnPATTERN='/dev/'"${xDRVNAME}"'|'
     DRV_CATEGORY="`probedisk2 | grep "$dnPATTERN" | cut -f 2 -d '|'`"
    ;;
   esac
   icon_mounted_func $DRVNAME $DRV_CATEGORY #see functions4puppy4
  fi
 fi
fi

#v409 now have /etc/mtab a symlink to /proc/mounts so this section not needed...
##v2.10 do not update /etc/mtab if '-n' option...
#[ "`echo " $DASHOPTS" | grep '^\-n$'`" != "" ] && exit $RETVAL
##busybox does not support /etc/mtab, but some apps (ex: eject
##and the full mount,umount, mke2fs) need it...
#[ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && busybox mount | sed -e 's/ on / /g' | sed -e 's/ type / /g' | sed -e 's/ (/ /g' | sed -e 's/)$/ 0 0/g' > /etc/mtab
##note, it is a long story here. Busybox can be configured to
##support /etc/mtab, however the information it writes to mtab
##is incomplete, different, and breaks my scripts.

#v409, instead just make sure the symlink stays there...
if [ ! -L /etc/mtab ];then
 rm -f /etc/mtab
 ln -s /proc/mounts /etc/mtab
fi

exit $RETVAL
Sidders is this useful to you? I think I can just about figure it out (thanks to the helpful comments) You could perhaps make it so that only the pup_save.2fs could be mounted.

Remember I know how to change the name of the pup_save, say to "edu_save.2fs", so it will not conflict with existing puppy installs. I would need to modify initrd.gz to do this, but its not difficult. Shall I do this for HanSamBen and post the new initrd.gz?

Ive also discovered (by dissecting a .pet file from Tempestious) that the net drivers are stored in

/lib/modules/2.6.25.16/kernel/drivers/net/

Removing these should stop network cards unloading...its a risk but it should work. I use the same technique for castrating windows machines from the web when Ive installed dual boot puppy!

Hope this is useful info for you Sidders. Keep us informed :-)

smdelfin

#31 Post by smdelfin »

I have successfully installed HanSamBen on 2 preschool PCs with Celeron/128Mb Ram/3Gb harddisk here in the Philippines.
Thank you very much!
Waiting for the next release ...

sidders

#32 Post by sidders »

Great i hope it goes down well with the kids.

Working on the next release now.

With regards to the network modules, i am assuming that the Kernel can be recompiles without that module. I have done a little reading on the subject of compiling kernels, i will give it a go.

ecomoney

#33 Post by ecomoney »

@smdelfin, we are glad you like it :-) Would you tell us a little more about how they work, how fast they are, how long they take to start please, it will help us. Any other suggestions would be really helpful. Send us some pictures too if you like!

@ Sidders, Thanks for the update, how do you feel about the project going international? I am working on some way of tracking the number of downloads of a certain iso from my website, so when the project has its first release, I can give you some more "numbers" :wink:

Im just thinking, if were going totally down the "liveCD only" route, then were not going to need the ntfs/fat drivers at all. If we go down the route of only having an edu_save.2fs on the computers hard disk, we are going to need the ntfs/fat drivers, in order to write this to the computers hard disk.

Both ways have their merits, but if removing the ntfs/fat modules completely is the easiest and safest, and we can say "definitely wont alter anything on your windoze computer", then I think thats the way to go, even if it means the kids cant save their scores/tuxpaint images. In this case, are "users" are parents as well as children.

My apologies for not uploading the Curriculum dvd as yet. I will hunt it down and upload overnight tonight.

Keep up the good work your side Sidders :D

sullysat

#34 Post by sullysat »

ecomoney wrote: Im just thinking, if were going totally down the "liveCD only" route, then were not going to need the ntfs/fat drivers at all. If we go down the route of only having an edu_save.2fs on the computers hard disk, we are going to need the ntfs/fat drivers, in order to write this to the computers hard disk.

Both ways have their merits, but if removing the ntfs/fat modules completely is the easiest and safest, and we can say "definitely wont alter anything on your windoze computer", then I think thats the way to go, even if it means the kids cant save their scores/tuxpaint images. In this case, are "users" are parents as well as children.
FYI, I'm working on a few machines that will be standalone systems running HanSamBen. I'm still searching for a preschool nearby that will appreciate them enough to be a test bed for us.

I'm not sure how much RAM I'm going to get in these, so I don't know about install options yet. Most of the Puppy installs I do are full installs in order to minimize issues with pupsaves and RAM, but for this project I'm thinking that running from CD with one of the small harddrives I have laying around for save files may be the best use of resources.

Of course, going this route may require the drivers you're talking about here Rob.

My opinion would be that limiting boot/install options might be counterproductive to the growth of a user base. However, I'm thinking that, given the proposed audience for this puplet, LiveCD w/ savefile on HD is probably the best default option.
ecomoney wrote: My apologies for not uploading the Curriculum dvd as yet. I will hunt it down and upload overnight tonight.
I'd like to see this too, please. I'm thinking that there will be good information here for documentation. It's going to be important to address the international flavor of where this is being used, I think.

Sully

ecomoney

#35 Post by ecomoney »

Just for clarification....

Removing the FAT/NTFS drivers would not mean that HanSamBen would not be installable as the main OS on a single computer, either full or frugally installed with GRUB on its own partition (this would use the linux ext2/ext3 drivers). You could use it for recycling the computers for schools, and parents could have a LiveCD to use on their Windows computers at home.

It would be a good idea to remove the disk tools (Grub install, Gparted etc) from the menu's though! :lol: :wink:

So the issue is, to allow a savefile on a windows (home) computer? I know this would be desirable to users yes, however for "marketing" purposes (i.e. to make this educational software accessible to the most children) if we are able to say "wont effect your windows installation in any way whatsoever" then more parents would be inclined to try it. Windows XP users, from their many bitter experiences, are very loathe to try *anything* new on a computer. Most I have seen, if something comes up they dont understand with words like "write", "update", "change", they just click "no" automatically for fear of an expensive repair bill. :)

Ok....so possible ways around this problem of "psychology".

Some "thinking aloud".....

Instead of removing the NTFS/FAT drivers entirely, just remove all the automount/file utilities from the menus, and the routines to ask if a save file is created at shutdown (/etc/rc.shutdown). HSB will then boot everytime in RAM, and shutdown without making any change. Home users/triallers happy! :D

have a "hidden" command (perhaps like a key combination "cheat" on a game) documented in the manual..(which the little ones cant read!). This will bring up a menu that will allow Parents/carers/recyclers to create an edu_save.2fs file on an ntfs/fat partion that will be picked up at boot time. This way kids could save their work, once their parents are confident in Linux's remarkable ability not to break their computer! Experienced home users happy :D

For recyclers such as yourself Sullysat, and people such as smdelfin, who only have access to lower spec computers, then I would suggest a special boot parameter "pfix=recycle". This option would call a special install routine in the "init" script found inside initrd.gz. that would basically recycle the computer into a dedicated kids computer for use in either a home or a school. Recyclers/School IT people Happy :D

Ideas for the modified "init" script
This routine would NOT load the pup_412 into ram (as happens with a livecd boot), therefore would potentially make HSB installable on computers with as little as 32mb of RAM or less....this would maximise access to the educational facilities in HSB, especially to those from less well-off countries. Current puppy has a "double negative" lockout...people cant boot puppy to install puppy to run in less than 64mb unless they have 64mb of RAM already!

This "recycle" subroutine within init would script would:-

1. Confirm what was about to happen (the computer being wiped and all existing data lost!), and give the user chance to abort.

2. Format the hard drive of the computer with a ext2 partition, and a 200mb swap.

3. Install a preconfigured GRUB bootloader, with correct menu.lst, vmlinuz and initrd.gz

4. extract the pup_412.sfs from the cd to the new ext2 partition.

The "full only" install method would not only allow very old computers to be recycled easily with an absolute minimum of training by educationalists, but would also mean that computers that have been dedicated WHOLLY to running HSB would have an extremely quick boot time before the "pretties" appeared....kids have little patience for such things!

If the additional subroutine in the "init" script were GPL, then with the will, theoreticall it *could* be added to mainstream puppy linux. PL will only boot to allow the current i:lol: nstaller to work in 64mb of RAM AFAIK. This would make Mainstream Puppy available EASILY to people that only had computers with 32mb/24mb of RAM....they would only need to know to start with the Boot Parameter "pfix=recycle". This would save a lot more computer waste, and enable access to I.T. to the worlds poorest with only 32mb of RAM without a lot of training.

@ Sidders

You are probably reading the above and thinking ":shock:" I understand you are working on this for free ATM and your time for it is limited. Im very grateful for the work you have put in already.

At this early stage of the project, I believe it is probably best for you to continue the way you are with the removal of the NTFS/FAT drivers entirely . This allows us to be confident that non of our "testers" will suffer "broken windows" (or me personally for that matter :lol: ), and can supply more of the feedback we currently need on the applications.

@ Sullysat, would you be happy for Sidders to continue down the route of removing the NTFS/FAT drivers entirely for the time being, for the sake of simplicity, on the promise to add the above as a "feature" in a later version to extend HSB's reach to more people/schools? Perhaps by then we will be joined by more programmers which will ease the load on Sidders. Have you heard of the 80/20 rule?

Just some ideas/loud thinking.....Feedback/expertise/technical knowledge appreciated. :)

sullysat

#36 Post by sullysat »

ecomoney wrote:Just for clarification....
@ Sullysat, would you be happy for Sidders to continue down the route of removing the NTFS/FAT drivers entirely for the time being, for the sake of simplicity, on the promise to add the above as a "feature" in a later version to extend HSB's reach to more people/schools? Perhaps by then we will be joined by more programmers which will ease the load on Sidders. Have you heard of the 80/20 rule?
I was just concerned that I'd need those drivers to install. If that's not the case, I'm good.

I like the other ideas and where this is going. Thanks to Sidders, ecomoney, and everybody else involved in this. Its SO great to see someone dedicated to a good educational product for kids.

Thanks guys,
Sully
Puppy Files Mirror - [b][url]http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy.html[/url][/b]
Classic Puppy Page - [b][url]http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy214x.html[/url][/b]

ecomoney

#37 Post by ecomoney »

:oops: Sorry, yes...my creative side can run away with me sometimes

I had better find that disk and start it uploading

puppyluvr

#38 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
Well, I must admit, having messed with Gcompriz on Puppy B4, with limited success, I was sceptical..
I`m, not anymore.... :shock:
I managed to get it about 1/2 functional, or so I thought... :lol:
Had I realized it was this extensive, perhaps I might have tried harder..
I hope you can achieve this kind of success with Childsplay... :D
I still have many pets / plugins I gathered in my attempts with it, if you need anything........
Bravo....Very cute, very slick, very well thought out....
These "special" Pups are what make Puppy "Special"...LOL...
And could make it a household name yet....
My 2 1/2 yr old son says "tank eww"..LOL
Maybe after some time on this, he`ll pronounce that better...
...Jay....

This goes on the "best of" DVD.... :D :D

sidders

#39 Post by sidders »

Gcompris - A couple more of the apps are working now with the addition of gst-plugin-good and a library file. I've had a quick go at Ktuberling, which looks great for the kids but that is a KDE app, I've left it for now until i work out the KDE side of it. It may grow too big to include. Going to have a chat with some people about whether the game can be replicated in Python. Going to go back to have another go at Childsplay. I ve posted wjat i have so far on another thread.

I have found the NTFS driver, maybe the way to go is to customise the kernel. Another step up for me, but i have the kernel source. Before i do that i will get V2 up with everything (except browser). Then experiment with the kernel.
I have an 18 MO jumping on me, id better go.

ecomoney

#40 Post by ecomoney »

Good work sidders.

The KDE libs are notoriously large/slow, and would need to be loaded before the game is...needing they would take system resources even when they wernt being used. dont get me wrong, Ktuberling is a very popular game (Ive used it at a Breakfast club not far from here on Edubuntu), but the overhead would be large....meaning that people with older/slower computers would not be able access ANY of the other educational games in HSB at all!

May I suggest the update "little and often" option Sidders. If we have a "safe" LiveCD, then we will be in a better position to know with more certainty what was needed in the release after from the feedback we get.

Another thing I have thought of....A "sweet spot" in terms of loading into RAM would be to keep it to about 210mb. There are a large number of 256mb RAM computers around. This would mean that all application could be loaded into RAM for speed, with a little working space left over. We must take into account that if we dont have NTFS drivers, then HSB will be unable to use a swap file (pupswap.swp) on the ntfs/fat drives also. Therefore if as many games as possible can be made to run "full screen" then this will prevent the little ones opening several apps at once and using up the available RAM.

Childsplay looks a great app, but many of the "learning objectives", and indeed the games themselves, are covered by gcompris.

Ive also got a confession....Ive misplaced the DVD from the preschool! :oops: Im sure it will appear (I have a pretty chaotic lifestyle), but in the meantime I will get another copy on my phone from the Pre-School admin computer tomorrow morning when I drop Caleb off.

P.S. The local "press" have already caught wind of the project (through one of the "mums testing team" I have recruited! :roll: ). We have a journalist from here eagerly waiting to do a review....whenever you are ready Sidders :D

http://www.living-in-lincolnshire.co.uk