Remove Mozilla, install Firefox and Thunderbird instead?

Booting, installing, newbie
imsimwim

Remove Mozilla, install Firefox and Thunderbird instead?

#1 Post by imsimwim »

Hi all, I see that you mention that one should be able to just install Firefox from the tarball downloaded from the mozilla website. Would one be able to install Thunderbird in the same way? I preffer the above mentioned two apps over the Mozilla suite ones.

If I install the above apps, how can I then remove the Mozilla ones?

Maybe I should just get the unleashed version and create my own custom version. The instructions on how to do the unleashed one is just a bit confusing though. Would love to see more detail on the subject.

BTW. not a total newbie to Linux, but am a newbie to Puppy and loving it. Always wanted a "live" version which saves at least your dialup and network settings.

Have helped on a Linux project in South Africa called the Freedom Toaster, run by the Shuttleworth foundation. I named the machine...:-) More can be seen about it at www.freedomtoaster.org. Machine that burns free copies of many Linux distro's. May I have them put Puppy on there?

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Ian »

If you go to the Puppy Wiki you will find details concerning Thunderbird in the How To section.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Uninstall Mozilla?

#3 Post by Flash »

I think uninstalling Mozilla from Puppy would break some other apps such as Gaim, if I understood Barry right. Perhaps you should start with barebones Puppy and then add the Apps you want.

Also, here , here and here are other questions similar to yours that might be of help.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

Firefox has the library files that Gaim needs, so it should be okay -- it just affects Gaim connecting to MSN.