Boxpup 413 Available

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
gray

Boxpup 413 Available

#1 Post by gray »

Boxpup is an Openbox window manager puplet. This version is based on puppy 412 but with any applicable enhancementts and bugfixes to bring it to 4.2 standard. Yes, it even has Pwidgets !

packages include

Abiword 2.6.8
Gnumeric 1.8.4
Sakura terminal
Printox
CUPS 1.3.9
Thunar filemanager
Xfmedia video & audio player
Xfburn CD/DVD burner
Osmo 0.2.4
mtpaint 3.31
Transmission 1.52

Download from : http://www.puppylinux.asia/tpp/NOP
(login: puppy password: linux size 88 Mb)

5-July-09 Updated to revision 1 [puppy-413-boxpup-r1.iso]:
Replaced Firepup browser & claws mail with Opera 10 Beta
Removed troublesome pcf fonts and replaced with Liberation fonts.
Updated transmission to v1.72

Here is the obligatory screeny :
Attachments
boxpup413.jpeg
(40.05 KiB) Downloaded 2467 times
Last edited by gray on Sun 05 Jul 2009, 07:57, edited 1 time in total.

Caneri

#2 Post by Caneri »

[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

Sage

#3 Post by Sage »

Once 01micko has completed his testing, perhaps you could review your browser decision (or not!), gray? O10a might prove to be the way forward for all distros?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 784c607183

hayagix

#4 Post by hayagix »

BoxPup sets a very high standard for puplets.

I consider this and the previous release works of art.

Great selection of software. Fast, stable, and simple.

A joy to use.

Thankyou.

magerlab

#5 Post by magerlab »

i always loved boxpup and think it's one of the best puplets( still use the first boxpup based on 4.0)
thank you, gray!
does it support many sfs to load?

Ray MK

#6 Post by Ray MK »

Hi Gray

Absolutely superb - Firepup is good and fast, using it now - although I personally prefer Opera.

So - best of both worlds - loaded Opera10.sfs - Wonderful, can run both.

Thanks again for an outstanding Puppy with stunning looks and usability.

Very best regards - Ray.

openpat

#7 Post by openpat »

Hi Gray

Thank you for such a wonderful pupplet !

I ve been using Boxpup 4.1.2 for a few months as my only OS, and I can't wait to try this version... (downloading on a slow connection...)

Just a question : is it possible to get a french translation ?

Thank U again for such an excellent work :)

`f00

#8 Post by `f00 »

Gave P413boxpup a run, pleasantly surprised with Firepup (it is quite nimble and loads much quicker than many geckoes - doubtless its fx1series heritage and maybe fasterfox, never used that extension before). Also widgets - they work oki out of the box and save me a trifle as regards Conky (lol, after I get tired of them nibbling resources I usually dump in my ConkyStandard 'widget' and switch out that /root/Startup/<original widget starter> with a mainline to pwidgets-exec .. hmm, all of a sudden xerrslog gets much shorter :) ). The vbar/hotpup mounter solution is nice (vertical orientation on the left should be a big plus for widescreen displays on desktop or lap/notebook if one likes mounting and status visible). Panel-choice .. Tint may appeal more than LX (pager seems primitive to me in LX particularly as only the contents of the workspace you're in are shown - jwm, xfce and afterstep pagers offer more functionality by far imho .. for those who like a visual aid rather than a workspace list). One should be careful of ones maus habits with Tint, however - rightclick on a window's tasklistbutton closes that window! Nope, not a context menu for actions - window byebye unless a save dialogue comes up in some apps. The LX taskbar menu might be okay if one isn't used to visual identification by a more-or-less 'standard' look to menu icons (mileage varies by driver, even so it's nice and clean) - actually I liked the non-icon'd rightclick mainmenu better. Wbar 8) and compatible/stable with most other wms as well if you like to switch.

Added a short raft of .pets - the following work well:
geany-0.16, medit-0.9.2 (petget pulled gtk-chtheme-0.3.1 for this one as a needed dependency), zedit-0.2.2, xpad-2.14-i386, pprocess-1.0, rox_filer-2.8-pup2, and blackbox (not the 'bare' -0.70.1 deal from ibiblio's repo, btw). Might even play with trying some extensions and/or themes for Firepup (see if I can bog it down, :lol: ).

Thanks, Gray.
. . and Bless the kind soul who included/made a local help page for Fotoxx… :)

wosifat

#9 Post by wosifat »

gray, thanks for the new Boxpup.
But I never thought I'd see the day that I'd be upset you ditched Oprea. I've become a Facebook addict, and Firepup, being based on Firefox 1, doesn't play nicely with Facebook Chat (Opera doesn't do it well, either.) I had to get rid of it and install Firefox (delete the folder /usr/lib/Firepupvoo3 or /usr/lib/firefox and the hidden folder /root/.mozilla/firefox) to get back to Firefox. Just playing with Pwidgets for this new distro and liking it so far, but I miss how Conky displayed the CPU usage and time in the menu bar. CPU usage, I can bring myself to live without, but the clock sure would be useful for those browsing sessions squeezed in before work. Anyway to put a clock in the menu bar? And I don't think I need the clipboard manager in the taskbar, so is there any way I can remove that?
Other than that, so far so good. Thanks again.
PS. I put my wbar at the bottom and like it down there, but if you have more than a few windows open their presence in the tint tasbar at the bottom is obstructed. Have we figured out how to raise the wbar just a bit?

Max Uglee

#10 Post by Max Uglee »

Great Puplet, I tried it out because I like the thunar/pcman style filemanager over rox. I also love the wbar. Firepup is very snappy. One problem I am having is that .pup files are opening with xarchiver instead of launching the installer. Is there a way to associate them with the installer? If not how do I get to the installer to open the pups?

T_Hobbit

#11 Post by T_Hobbit »

Hi

I upgraded my system already and I'm loving it!
The best puplet since first version.
Thanks Gray

T_Hobbit
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

Sylvander

#12 Post by Sylvander »

1. Love BoxPup.
Installed on an internal Linux partition.
My main OS, over Win2000Pro and Ubuntu.
Updated 4.1.0 to 4.1.3

2. Trying out pCD 0.4 simple CD-audio Player.
When I place a commercial audio CD in the drawer and close it...
The Xfmedia player auto-runs, displays only the 1st track and plays only that track.
I'm forced to use +->Other->CD to detect all of the tracks on the CD.
Why aren't all tracks auto-detected and displayed?
Seems unnecessary to be forced to do that manually.
How would I specify that pCD auto-run instead of Xfmedia?
Like the fact that Xfmedia can rearrange the tracklist.

3. When I updated BoxPup to 4.1.3 it solved the problem I had with Pudd.
When making image backups of the contents of partitions...
If I chose sda1 for backup...
sr0 would be appended...
And when Pudd began the backup process...
It would cause rapid scrolling of test on screen and screeching and pink noise from the PC's internal speaker.
A workaroun is to have an optical disk in the drive during the operation, in which case sr0 is not appended, and the backup proceeds normally.

4. Both of the above problems have been posted elsewhere on the forum; no fix so far.

sertse

#13 Post by sertse »

I have been away from puppy lately, but posting to say this is a fine release when I tried it. :)

Sage

#14 Post by Sage »

No doubt about it, this is one of the most accomplished releases I've tested.
Two suggestions:

Booting liveCD is too slow. Can one of you clever developers adapt one of the flash loaders that seem so popular?

Opera Turbo would seem to answer the prayers of many gray-o-philes.

And for a real bonus, this one switches OFF correctly.....

T_Hobbit

#15 Post by T_Hobbit »

How can I see wmv video files?
I try to copy wmvdmod.dll to win32 and to codecs at /usr/lib but only get a bluescreen on the player. Search the forum but didn't found solution.
I'm using xorg... will try xvesa to see if it's a xserver problem...

OK, it works with xvesa. Need to install ATI drivers for my IBM ThinkPad T42!
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

lisek

#16 Post by lisek »

Hi,
I tried Boxpup 413 on my new PC, very nice puplet.
Wanted to install it on my older PC but can't boot it up.
I have Puppy 4.1retro-k2.6.21.7-seamonkey on this machine and it works fine.

getting this:
Loading vmlinuz.....isolinux: Disk error 20, AX=42E2, drive 9F
Boot faid: press a key to retry...

Any ideas?

regards
lisek

Unhban

A temp.workaround for WN322G dongle (1211rw chipset)

#17 Post by Unhban »

Hi Guys. I'm a fairly new newbie and had an old PC, a AMD K6 233 with 256MB RAM, so gave BoxPup a try and absolutely love it. I prefer v4.1.2, it seems to run faster than 4.1.3? and the desktop background on .2 is to die for!

Anyway! Everything worked fine except I'd bought a WN322G WiFi dongle from SVP - they're only just over £7. This worked great on an XP and Ubuntu 9.04 machine, but not on BoxPup as apparently the zd1211rw driver needed a patch (the dongle uses the 1211 chipset). So I applied the patch that's available and it still didn't work. In fact, I've now spent days on this and still no go.

So, for those users with one of these dongles here's how I've now got round the problem, temporarily. I'd heard that the patch has been installed into kernel 2.6.29 (BoxPup uses .25), so... to find a Puppy that uses this kernel!

Coincidentally an alpha had been issued today - Puppy Woof 4.7.6, here:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... of-alpha9/

I went for upup-476-IDE.iso as it has the old IDE drivers. And the dongle worked straight out of the box! (and even though it's an alpha it all seems to work).

Now... my final thoughts are these - Wolf is not as pretty as BoxPup, nor as fast, so what's the chance of beloved BoxPup getting the 2.6.29 kernel? ;)

Unh.

T_Hobbit

#18 Post by T_Hobbit »

lisek wrote: Loading vmlinuz.....isolinux: Disk error 20, AX=42E2, drive 9F
Boot faid: press a key to retry...[/b]
Maybe a problem with the disk or the cd reader?
Did you try with acpi=off option? Better for old hardware...
T_Hobbit

lisek

#19 Post by lisek »

Did you try with acpi=off option? Better for old hardware...
No, I didn't try this option yet.
But luckily it's not problem with hd or cdr because I've just tried puppy 4.21 retro edition and it works ok. No failure with the boot.
So I'm thinking, Boxpup 413 is for newer PCs.
I probably can't install Boxpup 413 on my old AD 2001 PC.
Pity.

T_Hobbit

#20 Post by T_Hobbit »

Old specs... Once I used an old version of Boxpup on an old P3@500... no problem.
T_Hobbit